Jump to content

Fuel tank (hatchback)


Nwdas
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Sutty2006 changed the title to Fuel tank (hatchback)

Also mention if it's an injection or carb tank.

Probably not the place to discuss it, but save starting a thread, I often wondered why there's been no push to convert a racing style "fuel cell" or a batch of custom stainless fabrications that can still be mounted underneath the boot floor of a hatch, with all the injection gubbins (if needed) which can't exactly been difficult to source given the comparative simplicity of the Manta's system. They could be made with mounting brackets on it so we could do away with tank straps as well. There maybe a small loss in capacity and obviously originality, but what's basically an oddly-shaped metal can shouldn't be a hard to find part. As a hatch guy, I was always gutted to hear how many were scrapped having failed an MOT for a leaking tank and this was like 20 years ago! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rick-Manta said:

Also mention if it's an injection or carb tank.

Probably not the place to discuss it, but save starting a thread, I often wondered why there's been no push to convert a racing style "fuel cell" or a batch of custom stainless fabrications that can still be mounted underneath the boot floor of a hatch, with all the injection gubbins (if needed) which can't exactly been difficult to source given the comparative simplicity of the Manta's system. They could be made with mounting brackets on it so we could do away with tank straps as well. There maybe a small loss in capacity and obviously originality, but what's basically an oddly-shaped metal can shouldn't be a hard to find part. As a hatch guy, I was always gutted to hear how many were scrapped having failed an MOT for a leaking tank and this was like 20 years ago! 

IIRC I recall seeing something on DB from a chap on the continent that was having replica ranks made. Seen ‘A’ tanks that are underswung in SS, but think they are one offs rather than batch.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’ll be an injection tank, as his profile picture is a GTE by the looks of it. 
 

I heard someone was trying to have hatch tanks made in stainless or something but I don’t know how popular it was. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 06/06/2024 at 16:59, Sutty2006 said:

 

I heard someone was trying to have hatch tanks made in stainless or something but I don’t know how popular it was. 

I believe Clive was looking into it a few years back but the cost was putting people off at the time. Maybe worth someone's while now that hatches are actually worth something.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, spiney_norman said:

I believe Clive was looking into it a few years back but the cost was putting people off at the time. Maybe worth someone's while now that hatches are actually worth something.

Were they 500 ish? I can’t remember. But if demand isn’t there it probably wasn’t worth it. Would love a rust proof tank on all my cars 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...