What do ya reckon? Fastest Manta around?

h0tr0dder_uk

Hi ya hotrodder seen you around in that van for some time....

the manta project looks cool. you might want to contact paul burnham and winston [ red rover coupe, both these guys have worked on manta a big block pro street cars. winston had 1 in the workshop earlier in the year with a fully carbon fibre shell running blown 8 an harf lt in it. dont think thats finished yet either but may help you in set up probs etc. Paul did alot with the build of the black pro street 'A' blue ghost flames.

you can get intouch with winston through the dutchhouse street n street club.

pauls is though the website burnham autos

good luck with the build cannot wait to see it...

nik2.jpg

Look Out Wide Car Coming through!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right - after a few weeks of research and looking at lots of cars I took the plunge and chopped the mounting brackets for the old steering rack off. I now have a nice reconditioned vauxhall viva rack that someone gave me (for free!!!) that will put the steering joints in the right place.

Gotta get moving or the bl00dy thing will never be done.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think Clive's just spilt his beer [:D]

Still... that engine is evil looking! [}:)] Whats the predicted power output? [:P]

Sills?, what are those bits of rust laying on the floor then?

BOJ, Jodie, Chicken$h!t

Spares, Racer in waiting, GONE! [:(]

lolllgolfkt1.gif

OMOC 5714

about 750hp on unleaded or about 850hp on race fuel (prob won't run it on this though). Once I get used to the power I have several options to boost the power even more -

1) lower the compression ratio and overdrive the blower more

2) fit an intercooler

3) fit a nos cheater kit

should be enough to keep me entertained for a few years[:D]

I had to drive my mates van the other day. he has a pro st fordson van with a 7.5 litre chevy - kicking out about 550bhp - see http://www.uk-hotrods.co.uk/garage_scen ... ge%201.htm

its not running right yet (way too rich) but i only dabbed the throttle as i was going up his steep drive and thought i was going to be launched through the back wall. That thing is gonna be so quick and mine should be similar (i've got different gears and more weight in my car). when i got out my hands were trembling from the adrenalin. reminds me of my old van[:D]

• 1 month later...

update on work

I have been doing some work getting the new panels on. Desperate for a front wing to finish this.

Have now fitted some big vented front discs and are waiting for my brackets to come back from the machine shop.

Have floors, bulkhead and tunnel made up but not welded in yet.

heres some pics (taken tonight)

manta009.jpg

manta008.jpg

manta010.jpg

manta007.jpg

manta011.jpg

If anyone has a front wing for sale - let me know.

Bloody hell hotrodder.

Just awesome mate just awesome.

Something cropped up my way recently and I thought I the feck would I fit this (big engine) and my mind started off on thinking about a whole new front end and chassis to mount the engine on.

But to spaceframe the whole thing I simply wouldn't know where to start.

Dead good and interesting is this topic for me mate.

As for wings,,,,,,, Need some myself mate, but I guess people like me and you are never going to be part of the clique.

Shiny bits http://www.customsolutions.me.uk

I have been totally puzzled by the lack of reply to your posts and this topic in particular Hotrodder.

Away from this forum I know that the OMOC has a totally different face to the one that is portrayed on this forum, not particularly happy with what I've been seeing on this forum as of late. And judging by a lot of emails I've been recieving it's not just me either.

I'm going to pay a visit to charnwood manta services down the road from me, to see what price he wants for a pair of wings if he has any at all, but he's generally pretty expanesive.

Back to your car Hotrodder, what engine is that you have in there?

Well I'm very interested in this manta and the work going into it!

But I'm sure hotrodder knows why he's not had much interest from certain regular posters on here...it always amazes me how easily people fall out with each other on an internet forum.

Well, as far as I'm concerned your more than welcome to bring this manta to South Wales when its finished, us lot would be very interested in seeing it![^]

Might be worth contacting Graham at Only Opels (if he's still going, as his nose was wrongly put out of joint by some club facists if I remember) http://www.onlyopels.co.uk

Sorry this has now gone offtopic.gif and I fully expect to get slated for having a sneaky dig.

South Wales Rep

OMOC 5643

turbo.gif

jesus! bet that weighs nawt.[:D]

id be scared to drive that[:0]

8.2l motor looks awesome. have u any pridicted stats?[:P]

as for the wing, youd most definalty have one by now if you where a

member, thats the advantage of the membership. sorry but its true.

omoc member 5918- p10 badboy

400r trackday turbo on its way.... http://www.vxopel.com/

Clive - the engine is a 502 cu in chevy (8.2 litres) fitted with an 8/71 supercharger and f.a.s.t programmable fuel injection. (approx 750hp on unleaded and 850hp on race fuel)

I haven't joined the club because of a few reasons that probably aren't worth talking about on here.

anyway - thanks for all the positive comments - Hopefully it will be ready for billing (not sure if i'm attending yet though)

by the way - for all the club members that might be thinking that they shouldn't sell me a front wing because i have chopped up a manta heres is the story.

I originally purchased a low mileage exclusive that i used everyday. When i bought this engine I decided that i couldn't cut up a decent manta and sold it on and bought a rusty old shell for £100. I could have cut up a decent car if i had wanted.

I don't think anyone is worried that you've chopped up a Manta Peter. It looks a great job, very well made and so different from the usual projects.

I would be genuinely interested to know why you don't want to join the club though, and if there's anything we could do to change your mind (the PayPal button is coming if that's any help). If you'd like to put it on the club field at Billing, you have to be a member because our insurance insists on it, and it would be a real shame to have to leave it with all the 'common' cars in the car park![;)]

Cheers,

Joe.

Please log in to the Forum from the home page folks. It helps to keep the site at the top on Google.

Wondered if it was the Big Chevy. Only time I've seen them would have been at Santa Pod when I didnn't know what I was looking at, and pics in the Summit catalogue.

Only dimensions I've been able to find are for the 454 cui which weighs in at around 680lbs and has a height of 29" from oil pan to top of air cleaner.

Would assume that the 502 would be physically the same as the 454.

Only mentioning this as there was a Big Block Chevy engine that cropped up recently closeby, and the thought of fitting this underneath a mant bonnet intrigued me, would love to be able to keep everything looking stock from the outside, also got to thinking about different axles, and tubbing the rear in order for some big wheels inside the body line.

Main problem for me to get round was the idea of fitting the engine inside a frame rather than over a crossmember and having fabricated wishbones outside of this frame using coilovers, frame becomes the chassis rail no its no good I can't describe what I mean, I'll have to draw it up and scan it in.

All theoretical as I don't have the cash to do this but would like a comment on my idea, I'll post a scan up later.