What do ya reckon? Fastest Manta around?

h0tr0dder_uk

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

Haven't done much for two weeks as had to have an operation. feel much better now though so this last week - while i was signed off I have been mainly doing lots of small jobs. I have now fitted the bumper, headlamps, water and oil catch cans, throttle linkage, radiator fans, transmission tunnel, shifter etc etc. Just had my supertrapp exhausts come and am going to collect my dashboard so that the next few jobs, then fit a very expensive, small alternator and fuel tank when they arrive.

Its finally starting to look like a car

manta_drag.jpg

You can see the catch cans, some of the fuel fittings and the complicated throttle set up in these pics

manta_drag3.jpg

manta_drag2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Not much to update on this car as I've been doing all the small jobs that don't seem to make any visual difference to the car and have recently moved house which stopped work for two weeks.

On the bright side I have received a fantastic piece of work from clive at custom solutions. He has made me a custom master cylinder resevoir and its the absolute bo***cks!!! Pictures don't do it justice but hear they are anyway

mantab001.jpg

mantab002.jpg

Very flattering to have a piece of my work on that car mate, very flattering indeed.

I took the sizes from the "ideal" and "maximum" dimensions you gave me, coupled with the pics and the positioning of the M/C and made it all to not protrude over the end of the M/C and allow the filler cap to be positioned at the end of fluid res, I also returned my little skecth to you to show you where the internal divider for the split braking is and the dimensions for it to give you some idea of how much fluid each half of the tank will have.

Also as I'm sure you have seen, the filler neck/collar is baffled to stop splash up against the cap and the rudimentary breather system.

Another satisfied customer, thanks mate :thumbup

• 2 weeks later...

I got the chance to see this car in the flesh today and all i can say is

I can't wait to see this one finished, infact just to hear it start up would be enough :thumbup

Oh and clive's handywork looks as excellent as normal :thumbup

Hi Pete, been trying to email you but been getting no reply, just PM'd you (I hate pm's) through the forum, and will try emailing you again.

If you read this could you please drop me a quick email just saying "Hi," as I think I could be using a defunct email address.

Cheers Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok - time for another small update.

Finally got the boot floor in (had to make boot hinges first)

mantab01_04_08003.jpg

and can now start to run all the fuel lines. Is it just me or does this braided hose stuff look like sex??? no? thought not...ahem

mantab01_04_08001.jpg

and then I rejigged my exhaust as there is no room to run run the planned 3" system under the car (I want it low!), so now they look like this

mantab01_04_08006.jpg

Think they may be a tad loud :thumbup

Fear not though I do have a pair of supertrapp end caps to fit on to muffle it a little.

Thanks for the compliments.

You can get those exhaust cutouts with electric motors now. Simply flick a switch and hey presto open exhausts. when you see the old bill, flick the switch again.

These are the cable ones ... toview=sku

And if you have loads of cash the electric ones ... toview=sku

Forgot to say that I will be remaking the exhausts in stainless next year so wasn't too worried about bodging them for this year.

Talking of Summit - I've been waiting for an order from them for the last few days so I can finish plumbing the car. In the meantime I started on the dashboard.

mantab05_04_08001.jpg

mantab05_04_08002.jpg

mantab05_04_08003.jpg

Is it me or do the oil warning and shift lights make it look like the @rse end of the the starship enterprise??? Lol. Quite funky looking though.

• 4 months later...

Not much to update really. Been mainly doing wiring for last few months. As you can see most of it will be hidden once the dash is in

manta013-1.jpg

Had to modify the bottom of the A post in order to get the exhaust to exit in the correct place

manta011.jpg

Boot has been fully welded, given a coat of paint to protect it and battery fitted

manta012.jpg

And got the throttle linkage sorted

manta014-1.jpg

Next job is to take the engine out and finish welding the bulkhead, then start on the bodywork.

• 1 month later...

update time. I have been finishing much of the fabrication work on the car and decided it wasnt radical enough so I thought I'd make it into a convertible

mantaroofless.jpg

Only joking - I'm in the process of fitting a new non sunroof roof. when thats done its time for bodywork and then time to fire it up

Only problem is that now this car is getting to the bodywork stage its time to sell my other car.

mantaa09_05_08001.jpg

If your interested check out this topic -

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=19981&p=146816#p146816

and also I may also have to sell this car once its done as I'm contemplating emmigrating to the USA next year. Anyone interested?

Seems to be the way of the world at the moment. Luckily I'm in no rush to sell the A series so I will be able to get another 6 months use out of it

Unless you fancied a swap for a 1.8T quattro sport

Tho judging by your motors, it'll probably feel awfully low on power to you!

Hotrodder,,,,,,, Have you had this fired up yet mate??

Will hazard a guess at "no", but if I'm wrong please tell us what this b4stard sounds like

No Clive. I've not fired it yet. Only got a few more wires to connect and do the final plumbing from fuel tank to pump and its ready to go. I've started prepping the body now though so it will prob be xmas before it gets fired up.

If I do emmigrate I'm gonna have to get this running and driving first. Then I'll either sell it or ship it out to California

• 3 months later...

Thought it was about time I updated this. I've been doing the bodywork and have finally got one side completed and in black primer. I like this look so will probably paint it the same colour. I will try and get the car out of the garage tomorrow and clean the dust off it so I can get some better pics.

manta_b003.jpg

manta_b002.jpg