Exclusive Opel Posted February 7, 2006 Share Posted February 7, 2006 Two into one will go. My old green Exclusive kindly donated many parts for my other Manta, including doors, wings, hatch and interior. The white one was free (thanks dad) Picture of the engine bay before any work was done.That is a 2.2 engine. Battery tray. The black stuff you can see IS underseal! It took an age to remove but did preserve it well. Apart from welding near the inner wing, it was basically sound. I made up a new raised bit for the bonnet release cable so it doesn't sit in water. More underseal.More time to remove but sound underneath. Amazing what a clean and a bit of paint can do. The wing tops are nut and bolted on using plated brass items. Previous work here I decided to redo. Although basically sound, didn't look right, so I cut it out. New sections made up and welded in. That area is a pig to do because it tapers in towards the front and isn't just flat. The front scuttle was solid except for the ends. So decided to repair rather than replace. Good as new. Wing replaced. A good clean and new parts makes all the difference. (The bottom one if you haven't guessed!) Mmmm... This doesn't look to bad.. Okay, it's a bit more crusty this end. B******S! holes and lots of filler. Eighteen inches needed to be replaced on the sill. A bolted on jacking point! Start of the welding marathon. The inner sill part replaced (and welded to the jacking point). I could jack the car up on this piece alone. One piece of home-made sill. Time to start on the wheel arch. I thought, I'll make my own sections up. Never again! Lower back quarter. What the ****! The inner part was cut right back upto the swage line thats inside and from end to end and then replaced with one single piece. The outside I used a modified coupe repair panel I had. More work. It was easier to remove the whole of the filler area and replace with new. Getting there. The hole for the filler neck was a bit tricky because it's offset. I must have spent about two hours measuring my brothers Manta one up. I took measurements from what was left of mine as well. I had no idea if it would fit until it was finished and ready for the tank to go on. The effort paid off and was spot on. I have done away with the original rubber-and-water- trap-gommet and gone for a simple grommet. Starting to look like a car again. Fuel flap with rubber seal. The other side wasn't much better (this side was done first). More welding, cutting, grinding.... You've all been there. More paint - more new parts. New drums, pipes, cylinders, shoes. Uprated springs. Three of the four original ones were broken. I didn't know at the time but a spring broke (a loud bang was all I heard) going over a speed bump when I was in Hemel a couple of years ago and a long long way from home. The car felt the same so hoped it wouldn't collapse in a heap going down the motorway but it was okay. The petrol tank is in fantastic condition still. It had two small patches several years ago. After I cleaned the old paint off there was very little surface rust. A couple of coats of undercoat and topcoat with a good coat of cavity wax as well, it should last. Before you ask, no the car isn't on the paint tin. Just had to take the glass out of the hatch to repair a small hole in the corner in an otherwise excellent hatch. I seem to finish one job then find two. One day soon it will be finished. I want it for the summer! I'm fed up with driving a car that's warm, quite, reliable, starts every time. I miss the uncertainty! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.