My Hatch Project - Lots of pictures

It certainly looks to have come out well, I'd be very pleased with it if I were you...

Doing a job like that at all never mind in a Domestic Garage just shows what can be done, puts me to shame with a workshop and most facilities and I still struggle to get anything done.

Well done that man..[:)]

Mick

OMOC 5924

DSCI0619.jpg

1980 Black Berlinetta Coupe..On its way to a new home

1981 Manta B will be just as Adam intended when I fix it

1981 Ascona Auto SRi130 engine going in soon

That is one REALLY NICE looking hatch,do like the white door handels,been trying to persuade my friend to the same,they fit in with the car better.

I'd be tempted to leave the decals off,it looks so clean and uncluttered as it is and it would leave the un-educated guessing what it was.

my red coupe hasn't got any decals on it and i'd love a quid for every time i'm asked what it is!yet parked perhaps where i shouldn't have been out in south Devon i was approached by a formidable old deer,my mate who isn't into old cars said 'now your for it,shes going to tell you 'you cant park there', She didn't,instead she went into raptures about the Manta she once owned and my mate had to endure half hour of Manta chat!

I've got piles of all sorts of Manta parts,i might even have something you need!

surplus parts bought,whole cars considerd. M/B 07947 640505

OMOC Member number 2658F

Ian Virco,area rep,Beds Herts and North Bucks.

I took some pictures in to work today just to prove it does exist! After two years of saying "it's nearly done" I think they were having doubts it ever existed. Trouble with working in a single garage you only have about three feet down the side to work in. None of the work was done on the driveway, only in the garage and anything I could get out of the back door, mostly just cleaning and brush painting bits. So if your thinking it can't be done because you've only a single garage, it can! I have done it...twice.

Never given it any thought about not fitting the decals. I do have a full set of sky blue ones to fit, may not stand out as much as black ones. The first proper long distance drive will be a trip to Exmoor. Long straights, plenty of twisty bits and hardly any cars. Won't be looking at the scenery much that day[:D]

sig.jpg

OMOC 5866

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A few updates on mine.

I have now painted the wheels and will get some new tyres fitted next week.

wheels.jpg

Fitted a new pair of number plates.

Fitted the CD player in the car.

Added a plug and socket to the speaker wires on the rear parcel shelf so it can be taken out.

Changed the ignition switch so I now have one-key-fits-all.

Adjusted the handbrake and greased it all.

Topped up the gearbox oil level.

Typically I found these parts after the engine went back in when looking for something else. The half round cover which covers the flywheel and the rubber bungs for clutch lever on the gearbox(both sides).

Going to get the rad tray cut up at work tomorrow. Have a large metal Blitz emblem to fit on that.

Just got to finish bleeding the brakes,give it a clean and... thats about it. Start thinking about booking an MOT in the next

couple of weeks. That will make a good Christmas present to me if it passes.[:D]

Below are two links to a couple of short video clips of my garage where it was all done from cutting and welding to spraying.

That's why it's taken two years 3 months to finish.

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c321/ ... 010120.flv

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c321/ ... 010121.flv

sig.jpg

OMOC 5866

• 3 months later...

I can now say the car is finised[:D]id="size3">

Just got to bleed some air from the brakes. Drove up then down the road today as it was warm and sunny, which is the furthest it's travelled in 2 years 8 months and did it feel good[:D] I had forgotten what a 'unique' sound the CIH engine makes, a sound all of it's own. Just got to MOT, tax and insure it now.

car24th.jpg

Also built a box out of odds and ends to house the spare parts I like to carry:

box1.jpgbox2.jpg

Looking at some of the other projects on here, I'm still trying to figure out why it's taken so long to do[?]

sig.jpg

OMOC 5866

You're asking for trouble carrying all of that stuff! I've always thought its bad luck to carry tools or spares. I changed my mind when I broke down at 11 at night on the end of the Gower with my girlfriend whining at me - "Why can't you buy a decent car. We're gonna die out here. I'm gonna kill you and no-one will find you out here" etc etc. Funnily enough that was a GT/E hatch [V]

Apart from that it's a sexy looking car. I reckon white with white wheels is the nicest colour combo for a GT/E. Liking the blue badges too

OMOC #5826..... 79 SRB coupe - 'interesting project', 79 Cav saloon - 'another interesting project', 1993 Senator 24v. Yakshimash.

Exclusive Opel....Just read the whole build, a lot of impressive work done there. All those rear quarter measurements to get it right, shows you mean business, when it comes down to detail. Nice photo's too.

The finished car looks cool in white, a classic Manta colour.[8D]

After all those hours, in a compact garage, will be great to be out on the open road, in the Manta.[:D]

Mal...OMOC #6022 malalsal@aol.com H9OP6tnFJvCgw3kz3xgONVPRv4v9t6WR0060.jpg Start your Manta restoration today........ before it's too late!

quote:Originally posted by entwistlecymru

You're asking for trouble carrying all of that stuff! I've always thought its bad luck to carry tools or spares.

id="quote">id="quote">

I did drive over a mirror in it and break it the other week [:0] That doesn't bode well for the future.

I do like them in white, and with the white wheel's - very eighties[8D] Now where did I put my can of quatro....

sig.jpg

OMOC 5866

• 1 month later...

WAHOOO! id="size4">

Finally got it through the MOT on the second pass, play in the rack, didn't tighten the adjuster down enough [:I] and the headlights were touch and go, so I put the squares back in for now while I sort out my spare set with the metal frames rather than the one's with the plastic adjusters which were in there.

Still got to wait a week before I can drive it though so I can tax it for the start of June. But it felt so good to drive it again and turn a few heads.[^] I've waited 2 year 9 months for that first proper drive.

sig.jpg

OMOC 5866