Broadspeed rep

MantaMad

Well a good classic garage I hope would repair a car properly there are quite a few cars out there that have been restored correctly and 10 years later with some tlc they are near as good, paint may be starting to go etc.

I came across this problem before with my V8 one of the previous owners spent 4k on getting the car restored and it didnt need a serious amount of welding, yet they still bluffed the car where they could, just a shame really.

But I guess us anoracks will keep the mantas in a deserving manner.

Got some more done to the car yesterday and this morning. [:)]

ds%20A%20post%20lower%20640.JPG

The drivers side jacking point was not sealed of when installed and loads of dirt and gunge have go inside it, will have to get this all dried out and the dirt out before welding it up, just a couple of other small holes to repair , one above the jacking point and one at the bottom of the A post. Passenger side is pretty much the same.

ds%20bulkhead%20640.JPG

The drivers side bulkhead area needs a bit of welding, the car had different soundproofing put on it at some point and it was a bit like the body shutz to remove so took quite a few hrs to get the bulkhead stripped.

ps%20battery%20tray%20640.JPG

Battery tray was repaired before and is mainly ok, the join from the bulkhead to the inner wing is knackered on both sides.

http://www.mantamagic.com

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats the front end of the car mainly stripped back now, exposing the work that needs done, I may look at the wiring loom and see if I can get it drawn inside the car, The wiring on the A series is a tad messy in the routing, so it will get better done after the car is welded up and preped.

next jobs will be to get the interior out and continue the shutz stripping under the floor and around the rear arches.

the car is mainly for next winter but i would like to get it to the stage where I know exactly what needs repaired/ replaced and I can do any sandblasting during the warm summer days with the 10gallon sandblaster.[:)]

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

Was busy at the car over the weekend and my M8 called out last night so the car was attacked again for about 6 hrs, just as well the missus was working [^]

engine%20bay%20stripped%20640.JPG

Engine bay has now been completly stripped out including the wiring looms, Both passenger and drivers side shutz all removed on the inner wings.

dash%20out%20640.JPG

Car stripped out inside and the dash removed as it had a crack in it, this will allow easier access to the bulkhead to get it welded up both sides where it meets the inner wings.

ds%20footwell%20640.JPG

Drivers side footwell above jacking point needs a lot of TLC , apart from that on the inside just a few small repairs to make on the floor.

Another 2 or 3 nights should get all the shutz removed underneath, part of it is already done and one of the rear arches. Then I should know all the welding that has to be done to get the car rust free and solid again. [:)]

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

Your right Dan the better half did point that out [:I]. Got a lot of welding to do on the car which will take ages as I like to try and get rid of all the rust then do it with jenolite and weld through primer before welding which eats up loads of time. As long as the car is ready to sandblast with the small unit I have here during the summer I'll be happy, then hopefully I can get it sprayed next winter.

The plans are now to build the first broadspeed replica that we know of in the Uk, but I badly need a 4x4 cav or Calibra for the power plant [:)]

Tried to get this one but it didnt work out [:(]

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Is there any difference in the early 16v turbos 1990 to the later ones around 93 etc

seen this one, but doesnt have all the goodies [:(]

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1990-VAUXHALL-CAVALI...1QQcmdZViewItem

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

Nice motor Robbie!

Broadspeed replica eh? I suppose that means you'll be keeping those seats! Someone offered me some headrests ages ago for my 'A' Belinetta but i lost his address! Sorry for being cheeky but just wondered if you'd be selling them thats all!

Whats the rear seat like, started to rip at the top (factory fault)?

Was gutted i missed Billing last year to see the Broadspeed Turbo, good luck with your latest project!

Dan.

Er em I thought they were all turbos, cheers Clive I had better watch for that, the first one that the guy didnt want to do a deal on seemed exactly what was required and had a few extra goodies [:(]

The seats are in good nick Dan and the last owner had them recovered so They should do the job, Russ already had his name on the interior if it was being changed. Those interiors can be hard to get in good condition as you say they kinda fall apart [:(]

I think I have about 2 weeks solid welding to do to the car once we get the rest of the shutz removed, what a horid job shutz removal is [:(]

On the bright side there is a lot less crap on the car now compared with 3 weeks ago

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

Different people use their own methods, this is about the third car I have done Gaz and this is what I do.

1 On the main flat areas where the shutz is thick, I use my air chisel turned down low just to get a small amount of vibration, this removes a lot of the hard shutz,

2 In areas where it is thin or ha got contaminated with oil, I now use a electronic scraper, lidl do them at the moment, they are about the same shape as a pencil grinder with different blades that attach, this removes a lot of the other stuff,

3 The remaining shutz esp round curves and seams there isnt any handy way, heat gun and scrapers, wood chisel and screw drivers.

depending on where u want to go from there you can use thinners to wipe of any grease etc.

On my car the rust will get a go with the 10 gallon sand blaster during the summer and the process from there is

1 Jenolite or rustroy

2 Zinc based primer

3 2 pack primer

4 2 pack top coat about 3 off

May have one change in the above this time, after the 2 pack primer I may stone chip the car NOT SHUTZ then prime it agin then top coat, we may track day this car or have some fun so just thinking of the stones pelting under the car hence the stone chip.

Hope this helps Gaz.

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

hi robbie

thanks for the offer of the seats if you do get rid of then.the original fabric is called bedford cord for those who are interested,i was told.by the way did you get my last e-mail plus pics.she has gone in for a stainless exhaust to be fitted.soon be moted then road legal to use.that will be another "A" series on the road again.nice to see you are getting on with yours.cant wait to see a 4x4 turbo manta "A" will be impressive if it turns out to be as good as the white one.get the welder warmed up matey...........[:D]

Was thinking of buying a whole car that way we would have the engine running and everything we would need would be there, could even try and get a few £££ back buy parting with any parts we didnt need. Also a full car that driving would be more sense as we could fly to the mainland and get it, just for an engine we would have the ferry and car and trailor both ways [:(]

Thanks for the offer though. [:)]

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

Is it just me or is working at the cars this past week cruel, its so damm cold [:(] near lost feeling in a few limbs this week and today is just pure nasty [:(]

Anyways back to the job in hand [:)] Got a tad sick of the shutz lark this week so give it a miss for a few days or so and got stuck into cutting out some of the rust at the drivers side front end.

ds%20jacking%20point%20inside640.JPG

The bad section of the floor was cut out and the jacking point exposed, the jacking point had been replaced a few years ago but no protection or paint was put inside so it rotted the floor and the jacking point itself had a right bit of surface rust, this was sanded as far as possible and then coated with jenolite. Once the jenolite was dry it was painted with rust encapsulizer. The floor of the car is now ready to be sanded and then it will be painted with weld through primer before the plate is welded in.

ds%20Apost%20bottom640.JPG

The bottom of the A post was bad and it all had to be rebuilt and the floor around the jacking point, It took hrs to do getting the shape and I couldnt run a good seam of wed in one go as it kept wanting to blow through so it had to be a series of tacks to get the seams done, Just needs ground down now and finished of a bit tidier. The gap at the jacking point was also closed into stop dirt and water getting inside it.

bulkhead%20plate640.JPG

The bulkhead had quite a few pinholes in this area, A section was cut out and a new plate seam welded in this now needs dressed and smoothed out after the sandblasting.

ds%20inner%20wing%20to%20bulkhead640.JPG

The right angle strip has been cut away leaving a large hole to be repaired in the bulkhead, this will be done from inside and then a new plate formed on the outside after the rust has been ground away.Got a feeling this one will take a bit of time [:)]

Had a couple of other small repairs on the driver side, one of the inner wing brace(box section) and one on the inner wing right at the front but they were nice handy repairs [:)]

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706