Broadspeed rep

MantaMad

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi robbie

nice to see you have warmed up the welder[:D][:D]

looks like you have started a chain of manta "A" projects off!!!!!

hopefully mine is coming to an end,then get stuck in with the ascona b .isnt has big has a project as yours.got all my stuff together to start the job just needs a good lick of paint,and three nice coloured stripes.e-mail pics when it comes to shape.this is going to be my daily drive this summer..

keep up the good work and dont get flash[8D]

The bad areas arnt a problem Gaz, the metal needs chopped out and the areas grinded down to install the new metal, so no need for the sandblaster around them at the moment. Shutz isnt a problem have probally 80% of the car done, just a different job keeps it more interesting [:)] I will hopefully get the rest of the shutz removed by next weekend.

Your right on the shape of the A post Dan that,s why it took so long and i also wanted the nice curve underneath, just needs a bit of grinding now and maybe the odd spot filled and it should look the part when finished (well hopefully)

Hi paul good to see you back [:)]I don't think I,ll be in a hurry to finish this one just took a notion to get a load of work out of the way this past few weeks and the whole thing has started to snowball, Are you going to pop a vinyl roof on yours to emulate the turbo replica as well [:)] I still need to source out a good 4x4 turbo calibra and a few other parts which u know about [:)]. I,m not planning on having this one donw till next year at the earliest.I need to get back to the V8 and get some serious work done on it [:(] if its going to be out for the summer.

Hi Russ glad to see yours is near sorted,looking forward to meeting you at billing and what cars out of the fleet you decide to bring [^]

Was looking at the pics you sent to me tonight again and now I know where the turbo decal goes on the rear [:)]

Going to tackle the ds bulkhead tmw and get it sorted, then will run a strip down the inner wing and reform the ring angle piece underneath to join the bulkhead to the inner wing, that should add a decent bit of strength to the old girl [^]

http://www.mantamagic.com

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

Robbie, will you stop working so quickly, youre making me look like a lazy barsteward![:D].

I know what you mean about the cold. I wear padded overalls when working at he car but the feet just go like blocks of ice - not fun!

Right, off to do some welding, hard job keeping up with you!

If what I say can be taken in 2 ways and one of those ways get you angry....I meant it the other way

The jenolite and the rust primer is mainly for any cavitys at the moment Dan and around the edges of the weld areas, so basically when a new piece is added in any overlap in the metal or cavitys that cant be got at again have some degree of protection. The likes of the Jacking points once the new floor plate is in, they cant be accessed again. I will also drill a 20mm hole above the jacking points in the floor so I can inject dinitrol once the car is nearly finished.

The car is being set to one side again next weekend Mark have to get back to the V8 got quite a bit to do on it and it been neglected this past 4 weeks [:(]

Think I could be doing with a padded boiler suit or is that a padded cell for taking on yet another rusty project [:)]

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

Weekend over and time for a drink or 3 to get warmed up, Clive you can have a few when u get in fromt the B [:)]

Spent all weekend on the car lol and still managed to get time for the missus [:P]

ds%20inner%20wing%20welded%20640.JPG

A Plate was cut and formed inside the car at the bulkhead then seam welded into place, then the plate was again welded on the outside above and below where the inner wing joins. A new strip was then run down the inner wing on the engine bay side and seam welded. needs dressed down later and tidied up.

ds%20inner%20wing%20welded2%20640.JPG

The right angle strip was then reformed and welded underneath the inner wing. This was done in 3 strips as there is quite a large curve in the inner wing.

ds%20boot%20inside%20640.JPG

There was a hole in the drivers side boot just above the box section underneath, this exposed the rot in the box section, The box section will be cleaned out and done with jenolite to get rid of the rusting and then plated, after that the boot floor can be repaired.

ps%20boot%20inside%20640.JPG

The spare tyre well was rightly pinholed so it was cut out to gain access to the box section underneath, as you can see the inner face is rotted away, this will be cut out and replaced then a new spare tyre well installed.

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

Twin exhaust [:)]Are you going to pop a V6 or a V8 into the car Paul.

The inner section on the rear arch was bad on mine and I couldnt repair it properly with the boot well in place, also it had a hole or 10, so I just cut it out, The new tyre well will be going back in.

My missus recons I'm going at this like a man POSSESSED lol

Have spent most of this week at night on the car some nights have worked out toooooooooo late , spent a few hrs on the car came in and ended up going back out and working on the car until the small hrs of the morning, Takes copious amounts of time to get the underneath of a car sorted properly. I started a excel file on this car just to see how many hrs and £££ it takes to do the car, labour is already at 130hrs [:(] mind u some of that is my m8 which pops round and my young lads. BUT 3 weeks into the project and thats a nutty amount of time a recon i soooooooooooo need more sleep. [V]

Will get a few more details of the work done this week uploaded over the next day or so.

The V8 is now put away and I will get back to it next year, probably only needs a good soild week or so to finish. So will spend the time on this one and need to do a few bits and bobs to the MGC for the summer.

The other BIG problem I have at the moment is the future engine, I have spoke to a few serious track day boys and they hate the turbo c20let, they blow up in no time, so the calibra turbo engine is fading in my estimation, my problem is what to replace it with, most favour the 24v 3.0l omega engine which works really well even for the drifting kids, but it aint turbo. may have a look at the Saab engines

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

It's a shame you didn't get that 2.4i Turbo Frontera that was on eBay a week or so back Robbie. That would have been a different solution:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1994-VAUXHALL-FRO ... dZViewItem

Does your engine have to be a GM related product or are you open to other brands at all?

And have you had a look at Courtenay (http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk)? They might be able to turbocharge something else for you (eg a CIH or the 8v SOHC engine). I suppose price might just be a factor too of course.[:0]

Cheers,

Joe.

Not worried about the make of the engine Joe, but not spending 3 or 4k at the moment.[:(]

Ok update time and I'm totally knackered been at the car from 7am this morning and had a couple of hrs off now 11pm [:(]

ds%20boot%20arch%20640.JPG

After a closer look and a bit of underseal scraping a rather nasty hole was found where the floor and the inner arch meet.

ps%20boot%20spare%20well640.JPG

After the usual grinding and rust removal the inner rear arch section had a new section installed then the new spare tyre well was trimmed and fitted, after that it received a generous coat of zinc primer to stop any rusting in the mean time.

ds%20boot%20inside%20repaired640.JPG

The drivers side rear arch inner section was then repaired and the floor section plated, The hole from the inner arch to the floor section was also repaired with some nice solid metal

ds%20floor%20repaired640.JPG

Nearly forgot about the drivers side floor the plate over the jacking point was made and welded up, then a 20mm hole drilled into it to allow injection of dinitrol at a later date to prevent the jacking point from corrision.

Next on the list is to get the rear arches sorted and the inner part of the rear sills repaired and any other welding to the arches. Then Get the rear half of the car ready to do with rust eater and etch primer [^] OOOOOOOoo and get the rear axle and torque tube out and sandblasted then preped and sprayed [:)]

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

It's easy for use to tell you what to do, but you got all the work and expence. I was thinking 4L BMW on throttle bodys, that would be raw or even subaru turbo flat 4 just to be different! I don't even know if thats possible.

Do you remember that auto manta A scrapper that went on ebay last year? It was blue with an orange bonnet. I know thats going to be 2.0 16v turbo. So if you went down that road yours wouldn't be the only one.

Stick it on a landrover chassic! then if anyone doesn't like it you can park it on there efforts!!!

Gaz

Never, ever, bloody anything, ever!!!!!

http://www.manta73.zoomshare.com

http://www.sonsett.co.uk

JAP353Lsideview.jpg

I'd say return it to original spec, there're more and more As being modded, and that's going to make standard cars very rare. With the sort of skill you've demonstrated on your V8 I reckon you could get that car looking better than when it left the factory.

omoc 5660

Cambridge & The Fens Area Rep.

i agree with 1900sr in this case keeping it standard would be different, or i think you should at least keep all visible appearance standard and maybe play under the bonnet a bit

ashley

I doubt if it will be as good as when it left the factory, tooo many years of bodged repairs etc [:(]

Thanks for the replies, I think for now we will do the car up as standard, the bodywork was going to be standard anyways with the addition of the Opel front spolier. I think these cars look so well as they are.

The mechanical mods can always be done later which will give me more time to think on the subject, Will spray the car black just incase, which was a standard colour [:)]

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

Took the rear axle out a few days ago, it was covered in Shutz, oil, grease and loads of dirt. Messy job [:(]

got all the gunge scraped of and the axle degreased then sandblasted, it then promptly got a few coats of primer and 2 heavy coats of 2 pack black.

Looks a lot better now but took tooooooo many hrs [:)]

axle%20sprayed640.JPG

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

Yes Moonmonkey work does tend to get in the way [:(] Once i get finsihed work each day its outside to the workshop and get stuck in [:)] Weather aint the best this past few weeks kinda cold but makes you work harder to keep warm lol. Mind you the sparks from the grinder and splats of weld are kinda hot [:I]

I will get some more pics loaded up tmw or sunday [^]

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706