Tom's GT/E project, MOT this week!!

Heres my GT/E coupe, pretty much ready for its MOT. Its a 1984 2.0 CIH model, and features the following:

Piper high lift camshaft (similar to 'ultimate road')

Piper hydraulic valve lifters

Lightened timing gears and new timing chain

Larger bore steel exhaust system

Four branch manifold

Induction kit

Uprated clutch

Spax adjustable gas shock absorbers

Limited slip differential

Carlton 2.2 calipers and vented discs

Kenlow fan

Alarm and immobiliser

Extra sound proofing

Fat sound system

Its taken about 2 years, cost me in the region of £1100 altogether, and i've used just over 12 square feet of steel on it. Anything rusty has been completely cut away and new parts fabricated, although i've patched only a few places which i'll keep an eye on. I did all of it myself, apart from rebuild my brake callipers which i sent away to be done (couldnt find parts).

I worked on it quite sporadically when i had it first of all, but after having it for a few months my girlfriend of 3 years broke my heart and left me, so i decided to give girls a miss for a while and get on with the car. Its been hell, but about 20 months later here it is. More work to go though, its gonna be an ongoing project.

The idea was generally just to make a good all-round performing road car, and include a few other touches just to make it my own. Im pleased with it so far, more planned for the future though.

Halfway photo...

mantaf3-4-copy.jpg

These photos were taken this week...

Manta1.JPG

Manta3.JPG

Manta34R.JPG

Mantaside.JPG

Small example of some of my welding/fabricating, toying with the idea of whether a drain plug is necessary

Mantawell.JPG

1984 GT/E Coupe, 1978 Cavalier, 1972 Firenza. OMOC # 5875

cheers guys [8D]

its not had a 'proper' road test yet so im not sure exactly how much difference the mods have made, but as far as i can tell its much more responsive and quicker up through the gears.

i cant bring it to the club meet Chris [:(] its having its MOT on thursday and im coming back to swansea today. next meet though it'll be there, i'll have to bring the cav again this time though!

quote:Originally posted by Autoscum101

yeah i've put in a layer of sound deadening felt over the floors, transmission tunnel and behind the bulkhead before i laid the new carpets.

id="quote">id="quote">

just as well there's no sunroof eh ?

Pete M

OMOC 5885

MantaBB.jpg

Cool. I like the standard later B wheel, as if you take the plastic cover off and bodge up some replacement horn centre it looks more 70's muscle car. Selling the Cav yet? Sounded like lots of work went on that to from what I remember.

A-reg Manta 1.8S Pride and joy driven daily

E908 FHO Tuned 1.8 exclusive - very regretfully scrapped

A723 ONM Manta GTE Auto - Totalled in nasty head on collision

yeah, the wheel is much better with the plastic bit off, fine in fact. i just like the earlier B wheel because 'metal' colour looks good and its already got some slots cut in it which make it look pretty cool.

yeah the cav is selling on ebay now, last day today. i've done quite a lot of work on it yeah, over the couple of years i've had it anyway, runs great. wont seem to sell though, i think people are sometimes too worried about bodywork issues. that dent in the door is a real pain in the arse! [}:)] it was a girl who did it too so i couldnt really do much about it apart from get a bit angry [V]

Couldn't see it listed so i must have just missed it. I'm unsure if Cavaliers appreciated in value quite like Mantas in recent years but I'm sure as a practical classic car it'll help recoup your expences on this GTE and maybe (as you mentioned earlier) get yourself a tasty girlfriend to go with the tasty GTE! That's been my plan after my wife buggered off (so far, crap looking 1.8 hatch = no girlfriend)

A-reg Manta 1.8S Pride and joy driven daily

E908 FHO Tuned 1.8 exclusive - very regretfully scrapped

A723 ONM Manta GTE Auto - Totalled in nasty head on collision

You'll not sell it to anybody because of that dented door - nothing puts people off like body damage on that scale.

Fix it and you'll sell it no problem, it's a really nice looking car with some nice improvements, my first Manta-esque vehicle was a 1976 Cavalier 1.6GL into which I fitted a 2.0ltr engine so seeing what you've done takes me back 17 years!

Good luck with it!

Carlos[:D]

1984 "C" Coupe Red Top 16v - B623RWW

OMOC Member#5937

IMG_0732compressed%20sig.jpg

Free me!!!!!

Yeah its the only reason really why someone wouldnt want to buy it. Its a shame really, especially how i wasnt the one who caused the damage.

Thats my thinking too Rick, see if my luck changes when im driving the GT/E - i hope women arent actually that shallow... You dont get anywhere being a decent and honest guy, especially when your already old car has a dent in the door.

So remember, wear gay clothes and drive a highly polished modern supermini - you wont get anywhere with the ladies being yourself!! [;)]