v8 manta a

hi just after comments on an idea ive had of changing the a series back lights for simial lights-im after a factory look not a customised max pants look so what do you all think[?]

Image000.jpg

Image001.jpg

Image005.jpg

Image002.jpg

NEW PROJECT :1974 Manta a series with 350cu-in V8.

AS LONG AS YOU AREN'T LOOKING OUT OF THE BACK WINDOW THEN YOUR HAVING FUN!!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

COME ON.....

DO YOU LIKE THEM [:D]OR HATE THEM [xx(]?????????????????

ANY FEEDBACK WELCOME.

Personally I think the rear lights are one of the things that make the A, and shouldn't be messed with. Having said that, it's your car and if you like them go for it!

omoc 5660

Cambridge & The Fens Area Rep.

get rid of the rings completely so they are set into tunnels (I think they call it frenching in the custom car game) and I think that would look really good. All you want though is just smooth panel with the holes where the lights are in my view. Cool idea though, I say go for it!

signature.jpgmantaebay1.jpg

http://www.chavspotters.com

Andy Turner a.k.a Fat Southern B'stard

I like what you have done..still look like factory but with a nice twist

the only thing i would change is to bring the lights a little more flush with the panel..

i have thought about updating my rear lights..did think about the afterburner style but think that might be too modern for the A series

MadamVectra

Or Should That Be MadamMantaMaddness!!

dawns%20manta.jpg

1972 Manta 1.9

A is Best

Dawn W.

OMOC 5805

North East Rep.

yeah will leave chrome trim rings on but may paint black? don't know yet? the lights are only taped in at the moment but final fit will be flush to panel the hole for manta light is about 1-2mm smaller thats why the new ones are a bit out of line.i didn't want to trim back panel untill i make up my mind.

thanks for all the feedback

yeah the chrome rings on rear lights will match chrome around front grille or may paint all chrome parts on her black like gt/e.

just got to find new body panels to make it strong enough to take the torque of my 5.7 v8.dr manta is only place i can find for panels unless anyone knows of anywhere else.

im ordering full outersills,rear outer arches,front jacking boxes,front inner wing top rails,door bottoms and rear 1/4 lower panels.

cheers

New panels are getting thin on the ground in the UK Shaun, Dr Manta has about every panel for the A series apart from full rear quarters, his prices are steep but its the old story of supply and demand. With the panels you need so far check the boot spare tyre well and give it a good clean they go very thin and pinhole around there. With that much power going into the car it may be worth seam welding the car when you have it stripped to a bare shell [^]

http://www.mantamagic.com

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

hi everyone, yeah d818anr i know what you meant by frenching the lights but thats not what i'm after i want the lights to look like the manta was made that way to people who don't know that manta rear lights stuck out.the lights aren't frenched they are a standard gm light cluster but lens goes inwards where manta stick out just the oppoiste.but yeah i do agree that old customs ,hotrods etc look good with frenched lights and blue dots are cool and the lights look great at night.

robbie i will check before order,cheers -seam welding shell will be done as i've always prepped rally cars that way my pontiac firebird and plymouth roadrunner never needed extra as they are like tanks.

flush?? how do you mean remove raise rings on back panel? the lights sit in as they are recessed lens as standard on the car i got them off and are nearly the same diameter and complete light unit which was lucky the the inner and outer lights are spaced apart just right to fit standard manta back panel.on the orignal cat the back panel is smooth but has same slope back.gmlightunits.jpg

ahhh it all makes sense now, I didnt really look that close to see they are not actual a series lights, so didn't realise that the ring is actually part of the light unit. At the end of the day if you like them go for it. I've always said (and my car is proof of it) that you should do want you want to do, as its your cash thats poaying for it and you who has got to drive it! I'll always say if I think something looks pants, or is in my mind a stupid idea, but thats my opinion, its yours that matters when its your wallet and effort!

For what its worth I think it looks really good, its one of those touches that looks really trick, but doesn't take away from the cars great lines. Nice one.

signature.jpgmantaebay1.jpgcarsmall1.jpg

http://www.chavspotters.com

Andy Turner a.k.a Fat Southern B'stard

hi yeah i'm going to go with the non standard lights i've put the standard light units in the n/s and stood back the non gen lights look cool without looking like a max power crap shopping trolley.

cheers to everyone[:D]

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

hi after nearly 12 months of not working on the a series. i have now got a new roof on garage,new log burner,parts washer,3hp compressor,sand blast cabinet,welder,engine stand,engine crane and complete new wiring of garage.atlast now i can start the project of a series with a 5.7 v8.

does any one have any views on which way to go with the shell???

the engine fits between the front chassis legs but tight for headers and sheel will need to be seam welded to take power.rear axle will be a pontiac firebird lsd narrowed to fit and mounted on a 4 bar set-up.

my ideas / thoughts are SHOULD I SEAM WELD SHELL RECESS THE BULKHEAD OR DO I CUT THE FLOOR OUT AND USE A SEPERATE CHASSIS FROM 3x2 BOX SECTION OR POSSIBLY TUBE????????????????????????????????????

DONT KNOW WHICH WAY WOULD BE FOR THE BEST ANY ONE GOT ANY VIEW ON THIS? INFORMATION? PICS OF ONE ALREADY BEEN DONE?? ETC??

THANK YOU SHAUN

Hi Shaun this is going to be an interesting project, with regards to you questions it totally depends on what you want to use the car for, ie drag , hillclimb, or just a fun car. If its fun there is no real need to seam weld it as long as you get the shell 100% solid,

You said you were going to narow the rear axle, watch out getting new half shaft made to suit is funny money [:(]

Engine wise the futher you set it back the better hence chopping the bulkhead is a good idea, also doing this alows you to have the engine sitting so the the arb does not cause any problems with the manifolds etc. It,s hard on the A series to get free flowing manifolds due to the engine bay being narrower than the B, and you will have to get a custom made manifold if you want it free flowing, again another cost implication.

It's great that you have loads of new toys to play with in the garage now [:)] looking forward to the progress and any questions just fire them up, someone should have the answer

http://www.mantamagic.com

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

Please dont shoot me it,s only an opinion not a demand

Email robbie @ mantamagic.com (without the spaces)

thanks robbie.

car is for mainly road use with a bit of drag racing.

got new full sills,rear arches,lower 1/4 corners,door bottom repair panels and jacking boxes along with good second hand wings and lower section of front panel.inner wings need repairing by headlamps but i'll make repair patches for them.

it's just i don't know if it would be an advantage to fabricate a chassis as i could use different front suspension set-up to allow for easier big brake conversion and could fit quite wide rear tyres under standard bodywork to give good traction?? don't know which way to go for the best in the long term.engine is 250bhp standard but i will fresh up and fit high lift cam,performance inlet manifold,650cfm vac sec holley and headers but in future may go for nos or turbos?

cheers for comments shaun

hi got them of a guy in holland via ebay but i haven't seen anymore like this i want a better set myself.i have looked at some corvette lights which are very simalar so may use them as i can get corvette lights brand new repro.

are the camaro ones on there? if so what year pls?

should have my A at billing all being well,... it's under my 16 valve A if you wanna take a look.

i put a V8 in an A 10 yrs ago and teh xhausts were a b*tch. if you go 350cu in they are narrower than rover 8's. i ran my exhausts forward and under the x-member - scary when braking hard!

if i do another i'd go the robbie route and get rid of the trans tunnel/firewall and then you can put the engine in an ideal position rather than compromise.