we rescued Moon Monkeys Manta !!

d818anr

29th and 30th of july.

I can make it so long as i have a place to sleep [:)]

As for side skirts, i believe steve has the elegance side skirts anyway, these bolt on in a similar way to the gte type, but they are a bit bigger so cover more.

Joe, is the offer of your drive till the scrap man can collect still available ?

I can bring tools and any bits i feel we may need, i have a gas tester for emmissions and lots of other special tools that we can use, to set the engine up when it is swapped.

[8D]

----All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be---

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny I've just emailed Clive about this and half of it has already been discussed. I'll have to let you know about the weekend mentioned as I'm off the saturday but nights on the sunday. Might be able to get it off but we'll see. Again, like Paul, will need a place to crash or pitch a big tent if I can come!

signature.jpgmantaebay1.jpgcarsmall1.jpg

http://www.chavspotters.com

Andy Turner a.k.a Fat Southern B'stard

A week on saturday would work for me,i'm off saturday and sunday.

could bring my big frame tent if there is somewhere to put it up.

Been struggling with my Bedford Recovery truck all day,if only i can get that running then problems with what to do with shells are over,plus this would allow me to bring my body roller,a Manta at 90 degress be any easier?

Are you sure its alright to tackle this at yours clive? i mean this might be one (or two) Mantas too many with your niebours let along a fabric doss house on your back lawn,its very generous to offer but i hope your not feeling obliged to provide space and it then causing you trouble,would rather postpone the event and make other plans than have you dropped right in it.

South Midz Manta Bitz

Selling all sorts of parts for your Manta,we dont know exactly what we have got,but there's so much we probably have what you want!surplus parts bought,whole cars considerd. M/B 07947 640505

A MANTAMAN Enterprize

OMOC Member number 2658F

Ian Virco,area rep,Beds and North Bucks,and now with added Hertfordshire!

What happens with my shells is that I call the scrapyard when I've got one ready, leave the shell on our front along with £20 cash (hidden in an agreed place - I have to pay them as I'm out in the sticks a bit) and the scrappy collect it when they can. This is usually the same or the next day during their working week. The scrappy shuts at 2pm on Saturdays.

I live about 12 miles from Clive (SE of Leicester rather than NW) so it will need to be dropped off. There used to be a fair few other scrap yards off Abbey Lane in Leicester not that far from Clive so it might be an idea to see if it can be given to them on the way to me (if that makes sense and if they're open) which will save both the journey and the £20. But if not, it's okay to bring it here.

Now the big one. What about the registration documents? Does the shell have them? If that is going to be a nuisance, please e-mail me off the Forum.

I think I should be available on the Saturday IF I can be of use. I don't want to get in the way or spend the day standing round not helping. I mean this in the best possible way in that I want to make a positive contribution to this project rather than being a 'hanger-on' who might as well not be there. I'm aware of my own limitations and I do work quite slowly on cars because I have my own way of doing things.

If just acting as the repository for the shell is the most useful thing I can do, I'm quite happy to do just that.

If anyone (and I DO NOT HAVE ANYONE SPECIFIC IN MIND AS I WRITE THIS) is about to grumble at me for what I've just written, please bear in mind that I want this project to work for Steve and want to help as best I can.

I won't be offended if my contribution is just as the scrap man!

Too many cooks etc!

Thanks folks.

Cheers,

Joe.

um....

balls...

A week saturday is the ONLY weekend I can't do...[:(][:(]

My girlfriends sister is getting married with said girlfriend being chief bridesmaid (or whatever you call them)....[xx(][xx(]

wish there was some way I could give you my car and pick it up again... but that's really rude to not get in on it myself and buy the promised pizza and beer...

is there any way we can do it the weekend after? sorry guys.... I get in the way of everything...[:(][:(][:(][:(][B)][B)][B)][B)][:(][:(][:(]

OMOC NE Area Rep... omocne@hotmail.co.uk

The weekend after is ok for me too, plus it gives more time to sort out how to get the shell and your car to where we are working on it.

I can actually do any weekend. just say the word.

weekend after is a definite no go for me, I'm nights on the friday and saturday and back on lates on the monday, weekend after that is likely to be my most likely opportunity to help (aug 12th/13th) but I'm one of the smaller cogs in keeping this project rolling so don't base it around me, but I would like to help if I can.

Weekend of Aug the 12/13th peeps?

Would really like a wireman with us such as Andy.

Place to crash is no problem.

There are scrapyards about 2 miles from me but to get these clowns to remove shells is a bloody joke, this is one of the reasons I'm not too keen on having a shell left onthe front, other reason is wife is childminder, and I don't like giving out the GIPPO image to her prospective customers such as the ones she had round today, they wouldn't have even knocked on the door.

http://www.customsolutions.me.uk

Moonmonkey, you do have the right e-mail address but i am away from home till sunday night, i'm down in somerset for the Rallycar show at Castle coombe this coming saturday.

Now i'm not doubting anyones ability to fix manta's but i think it might well take more than 1 weekend to do the whole job if we are using the replacement shell. Afterall this isn't 'Overhaulin' (American tv show on dicovery channel)

The shell will require some welding apart from the sills. As stated in the other thread, one jacking point looks gone from above, both a-pillar/bulkhead seams are gone and will need doing, both lower rear 1/4panels are gone (bellow the paint line, on the flat), and one inner wing top/fastening rail has a small bit (but both wings need swapping so this isn't too bad).

However i have never worked on a car that didn't reveal more welding after the wire brush/ angle grinder had been at it. Now while some of it could be left as it wouldn't affect the MOT i don't think we want it to be a problem later on for steve.

What i am sure of is solid chassis legs, nose cone, boot floor, both doors, bonnet, tailgate, back panel. The roof has the very first signs of bubbles at the rear edge of the sunroof (yes it is a sunroof shell [B)])

But it is very early signs and with some treatment i think it will last a very long time. The shell also has the full loom and all the brakes/suspension on it (only had the engine/gearbox and interiour removed) dashboard and headlining are also still in. This is how i got it so i have no idea what condition all the bits are in other than looking at them.

I originally sugested this shell as a possible alternative after looking at moonmonkeys car at billng and seeing what needed doing. Some of the previous welding looks to be covering old panels (the sills aren't the right shape, neither is the lower 1/4s. Now there may not be rusty panels behind here but you can't tell without cutting it all out) along with the rusty chassis legs and hole in the floor (flinstones stlye).

Because of this i think that if we aimed to do his car in one weekend we might not get it finished (despite all our best efforts) and as this is his only transport that would be a problem.

Whilst my shell is rusty it is also honest and original (looks like its never been welded)

Now i have a trailer and a car that will pull it so i can transport it somewhere, if needed. But i work every other weekend and my weekends off are mostly booked for the next couple of months. However i get a couple of days off in the week so could make the trip down with the shell then, unless someone else wishes to collect it.

If we're going for leicester then thats about a 300mile round trip for me to drop the shell off during the week. Between that and my weekends being booked i probably won't be able to make it to help work on the shell.

I had thought that getting steve down for the weekend to work on the shell would be useful and informative for him. If the progress is such that the swap could be done in the 2 days then his car could start to be stripped. However if things aren't going quickly then he still has his car to go home in and return at another date for the engine/ interior swap.

On the other hand if people decide that they would prefer to weld steve's original hatch up and fix that as its a solid roof'd car then by all means go this route. I'm sure i can find some use for my shell if its not needed [:P]

I will try to check in whilst i'm down this end of the country but that depends on web access.

Oh actually this might help, in the next few weeks i will only be available to transport the shell on Friday 28th, wednesday 2nd (aug), Friday 11th (aug) After that i'm not entirely sure untill i get home and check my schedule.

Now i'm off to find somewhere cool to hide from this heat [8D]

http://www.mantasport.co.uk

OMOC no:3325

couple of things to think about here. Mantasrme's offer of the shell is a bl00dy good one, but by the looks of things its a gte shell, and we're swapping over an 1800 set up. Now this is not end of the world but we will have to look at the fueling set up as the gte will have a fuel pump and return to get shot of. Nothing major put another job. To be honest I really think for this to be anything like achievable in a weekend we might be better off looking at repairing Steves own shell. Because we won't be swapping engines, interiors, fuel systems, gearboxes etc etc we will have a lot more time to fix what actually needs fixing. Other issues, exhaust swap, how old is steves exhaust? If its got a few years on it I bet it doesnt just drop off! Please understand I'm not trying to throw a spanner in the works, but I think we need to be realistic. We are probably working on a driveway, on axle stands. Not in a fully fitted workshop with 2x 4 post lifts.

Not sure on everyones skills but I'm pretty sure Clive and Paul will be sorted for doing the welding, and no doubt a few of the others will be good as well. The wiring issues I'm more than happy to do on my own but if anyone else wants to help then great. I'm happy to spin a few spanners, help with any brake issues, infact most things except welding which I've done but not enough to call myself good! The big target is that barring any major problems Steve will be driving home on the sunday evening, hopefully in a much safer car than he arrived in. I also think it would be good for Steve, and for us as a club, is to know that its his car thats been done, another Manta saved from the crusher. He will have pics of the car as it is now, and hopefully looking a damn sight better after. We need to make a big decision soon as to what way we go, and I'll put my hand to anything if I can get there, but I still feel fixing Steves is more sense than a reshell, especially with the roof issue.

sorry mate, didnt mean that youd raped it. Just thought it was a gte shell as there were no bump strips. That makes things easier but there is still stuff to consider in regards to it being driven home sunday evening. I'm off to work but will try and grab a look later to see where we are going.

right.... to let people know about my car... the exhaust is a 2" stainless jobbie... so it better bloody last a few years!!! but it's got a 25 year guarantee...

The calipers are fine... but pads and discs were recommended to be changed at mot... last september...[:I][:I][:I] but.... I got a pair of carlton 2.2 calipers and vented discs... i can fit them just unsure of the bleeding process...

the floor has most definatley gone in drivers footwell... possibly passenger side.. not checked it yet... d/s jacking point definatly gone.. poss chassis rail too... againnot looked at the passenger side... washer bottle is sitting on filler... don't think the rad tray is too healthy either... fuse box was a problem as side lights were bodged to get it through the mot... have gone again... rear lights on passenger side have gone completly now...

interior not a prob.... can sort that all myself... have plans for recovering it anyway...

suspension TOTALLY knackered, not sure if it's just the shocks or not... got some shocks from Mickappy at billing... am also gonna give him a ring over the weekend for his engine swap method... involving lifting the shell over the engine and box (if needed)... passenger side indicator going crazy... bulb is fine but sometimes doesn't come on... rear drums possibly need looking at... will try to pick up some new shoes for it before i come down...

inner sills gone... outer sills should be ok as a guy came and welded up the sills and seams from rear arches back... and a small plate on chassis if i remember correctly... this was about 2 and a half years ago... front end is a state... valance has pretty much gone wing's not really held on too well at the front!![:I][:0][B)] Have a full front end thanks to paul.. but been sat for a year!!!... passenger wing in dented in the middle rotting through the top and arches... have a replacement wing but is a indicator wing... mine doesn't have the side repeaters...

roof is starting to bubble and crack at the back... where the hatch hinges are... both rear arches need repairing... badly... have a bizzare old school alarm lock thing fitted in the d/s rear quater... and all the stupid pin's from the side trim are still attatched...

going to try to sort the timing thing out at the weekend and fit the bumpers... still waiting on the side skirts but i suppose i could collect those on the way down...

oh... the doors are rusty in places and would need sorting before putting the door molds on... but are still fairly solid... dented in places but solid...

I'll have a poke about underneath to give a proper report on the state... still think the reshell is going to be the best option but if need be I can get a couple of members to help me out up here but will probs be getting the bus to work for a while.... and to my car...[:(][:(][:(]

we'll see how it goes!!

Unbolt the front subframe complete, leave the entine. box, suspension steering in one lump and lift what is left of your car off it. Rear axle and brakes are already fitted, refit the subframe and prop and its back as a rolling shell with all mechanicals fitted.

Mick

OMOC 5924

lego-rally.gif

1980 Black Berlinetta Coupe, 2.0 SRI Project

1984 Silver GT/E Coupe, Road Rally Car

1979 Orange Ascona SRB, cos I can!

Must admit that would be the easiest way to remove the engine etc, not that I've tried it but you can see it would be. The decision of the shell will have to be down to the welders and Steve. If we are going to swap or repair the current one I'll help with both as long as its a weekend I'm available.

quote:Originally posted by paulmanta

....I can do anything !!! wiring, engine, welding.....

id="quote">id="quote">

oh really ?

*strokes his chin, thoughtfully*

[:D]

post Roanoke

OMOC 5885

manta_avatar_small.jpg

loose lips sink ships

hmm

easiest way to swap engine can be to lift the car and roll the whole crossmember under the new shell with engine fitted.

Possible worst case scenario is that the crossmember brace bolts to chassis rail don't budge, would possibly be a safer bet when against the clock to actually remove engine and box in my opinion.

Steve, I take it you have full stainless system?? if so this will come apart with ease (hopefully depends how much exhaust paste was plastered on by the fitters)

If not then as D818anr states the whole job could be a non starter.

Welding...

This sounds to be the majority of the work then, and this is with the NEW shell, gonna post this up and then read mantasrme's last post again

it's from the down pipe (the two pipes that come from the manifold) back... 2" to a 3" tail pipe... It's a powerflow so don't know if it's in bits or not... will have a proper look on saturday...

If anyone wants to give me a call on this my mobile is 07767035684 or if you want a land line mail me...

but it would need to be after 7 this week.... and i'm quite pleased to say that i didn't lose my job... i got a kind of promotion... more work for same money... but it's what i want to do and it's more work than i've been doing for the past couple o months!!

oh yeah... 12/13 would be good... though i'll possibly travelling via stoke to pick up the side skirts...

also while i remember... i'm not planning on getting the bodykit attatched on this weekend (tho if it does it's a bonus!![:I][:o)]) just it was the side skirts or the mrs... i may have picked the wrong one!![:P] hope she doesn't read this!!

Well from my personal point of view, I think we are going to be pushing it to:-

1, Prep and weld

2, make good all bare metal areas after welding

3, strip and refit interior

4, remove and refit engine (whichever method is used)

5, sort out any braking issues

6, get engine set up and running as it should

7, plus any electrical problems

If shell was on my drive I would need one person with me from 4pm and one person only, we would tackle the preparation and fabrication for any welding, and what welding we could do would be done by Fri Eve would have to knock it on the head about 11pm and continue the next day

2.... Moon monkey arrives and other interested parties and his interior is immediately stripped and thrown aside ready for me and person No.1 to finish off the welding.

3.... Whilst interior is being fitted and someone is coating the welded areas with whatever suitable, myself and person No1 set about stripping the engine and box out of Moon Monkeys car ready for transplant, TBH I cannot see the point in wasting time seeing if the crossmember brace bolts will come undone on 2 cars, cos if ONE of them doesn't we have simply wasted time, Engine and box out and straight into new shell.

By now we should have a welded up shell with an interior and an engine.

We now need to get exhaust fitted any electrical problems sorted, i.e. all lights checked heater etc, thank God there's not a lot of stuff onthe Manta, fire up car and get it running as best we can, damn shame we don't have a spare Weber.

Then it's onto the brakes, and any other bits we have time to sort out.

Moon Monkeys original car..........

Now I haven't seen this area myself, but believe the cracks around the tailgate hinges to be quite severe, and possibly in my opinion (for what it is worth) the main reason to go with the reshell option.

Now if we do the re-shell there are simply going to be people standing around at certain points with little to do, as there simply isn't going to be room and logistically can't have everyone working on the car all at once. And this is where things will start going wrong by getting distracted by conversations going on in the background, seriously if we do this we are there to do a job and to get Steve home of a Sunday evening with a sorted Motor, this is going to be hard graft for a few individuals, and not an excuse for a beer and a chat, hopefully that will come later when we have done well at the end of Saturday.

Due to the state of steve's original car I would only just opt for the re-shell, this has to be better thought out yet, and if we do it it really does have to go by the numbers.

The next step is to find out what we are really up against with the shell, so I'm about to email David Howell to see if he can do some poking about for us to ascertain just what really does need doing, the biggest worry for me with the shell is what I think David is describing as the rear valence area and sides of rear valence on the hatch, because to be totally honest this is one area of the Manta hatch that I would absolutely hate to get involved with and if this is shot all the way round (Quite common) Then there is no way I'm going to tackle this yet alone tackle it in a weekend.

right... the interior will consist of 1 drivers seat... 1 dashboard which can be left though i wouldn't mind keeping it to do up... but not necessary... i can strip everything else out before i come down... most of it is already out... dave said he was going to chuck in a carpet but i can fit that myself later when i discover what i can use for sound proofing...

brakes can stay std... i've got the calipers but as i say i can actually fit them myself but a bit dubious about the bleeding... I'm sure i can manage...

Electrical problems are on my current car... if all is well the electrics in the shell should be ok.. dave was saying they were good...

Heater doesn't matter cause it's probably going to get chucked out... was planning on asking joe what it was he mentioned about a bit of pipe so that it can be taken out...

hopefully all that needs doing is welding and swapping the engine... oh.. poo... i forgot about swapping the wheels too...

Things that Steve could do to help reduce some of the time required on the weekend would be to get a good coating of wd40 on pretty much every bolt on the engine, suspension and anywhere else that is likely to get done (avoid the brakes[;)]). Also, if he is happy to tackle the interior on his own why not rip it out bar a drivers seat and bring it down like that? All we need to do then is pop the one seat out lift the carpet and thats that. No rear seats etc to try and keep stored/ clean while we do the rest. I'd suggest getting a new air filter, plugs, oil, oil filter and possibly ht leads so that its all there ready to fit. We'll also possibly benefit from an exhaust manifold gasket and a manifold to down pipe gasket certainly. Lots of carb cleaner as well. Might be worth popping the carb off and giving it a good clean up while others are doing the welding etc instead of just standing around looking useless.

Like Clive said this will need to be properly planned, with a check list etc of what needs to be done and when, and who's doing it.

Steve, can you start posting a definitive list of what you know is faulty in regards to electrics, engine, suspension and so forth as I expect many of us have half of it lying around doing nothing. Also a definitive list of what you have already ammassed in the way of parts yourself.

I know Steve has got a set of 2.2 carlton calipers, can anyone confirm they have the same brake hose to caliper fittings as a standard sliding caliper?

As Clive points out, and this is probably the most important bit, we can't be standing around talking about Billing and distracting others from what they are doing. That is the easiest way for this to go very wrong.

I'm looking ok-ish for that weekend, the missus has pointyed out its my sister in laws 40th but the signs are good that I will be ok to come and do this, but I really need to know asap. I won't be able to get there till saturday morning realistically as I dont finish work till 10pm friday, but would aim to be there by 8am.

Who else is still looking to be involved. I think we also need to perhaps slap a bit of a limit on numbers as well as too many people will just slow it down.