we rescued Moon Monkeys Manta !!

d818anr

Steve, just gotta ask, what the hell are you going to do if it rains when driving home and the front screen mists up? leave the heater in mate, only a show car that comes out in sunny weather or strip car runs without some sort of heater.

d818anr, thanks mate, glad you are in agreement with me there, also looking at the bigger picture I never thought of the little things like the service items.

I emailed mantasrme earlier and left him my phone No.s hopefully we can have a good chat about the condition of the proposed shell.

Finally 8.00am Andy? wow that would be spot on mate.

http://www.customsolutions.me.uk

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

clive... I've not had heaters for the last year or so.... I'll bring a trusty squeegy or drive with the window open... yes even if it rains!!

I'm planning on a heated screen before the winter cause last year pissed me off... I'm used to no heater... and the windows leaking... and getting wet when the windows are supposed to be shut...

The parts I have are the carlton calipers + 2.2 vented discs, again.. these really don't HAVE to be fitted... but would be nice... got a pair of 400 mirrors... no they arn't coming i can sort them myself...

there's no carpet in my car... there's only the seats (had to put the rear seats back in cause i'm gonna be a taxi for this bloody wedding... may just hire a car like...) the rear cards & door cards... all of which can come out easly before i bring the car down...

the only thing that really needs to move over is the engine/box and the wheels... and my drivers seat!! (would definatley help in the getting home stakes!!)

The only other thing is it'd be better for me to come up on the friday so that I can be there up and early on saturday... may even have enough time to pull the seat out on the friday so that'll be sorted!!

right... just got me refund for me exam... off to buy a crate of wd40!! where should i be squirting? i know the engine mounts aren't too bad as i swapped the engine over for MOT last year when I killed the other one... need to swap the carbs over too as it was an auto engine and the carb is probably screwing the timing up... but i need to get a smaller socket set to get it off... I have the original carb too...

I've got one of the complete gasket sets you see for the 1.8... minus rocker cvr and will probs be minus carb if i can get it all sorted!

the problems I have are no sidelights... MOT garage said that was the fuse box... p/s rear lights have gone... I've been told this.. not looked myself so will check over theweekend...

Is there anything that people want me to check or want pics of?? I'm planning to sort as much engine wise as I can myself or at least get it to a posistion where it's running a bit healthier...

OMOC NE Area Rep... omocne@hotmail.co.uk

steve, cleaning my gargae out last nite i found a

heater motor, im almost certain it works, think its the one that

used to be in the hatch, let me know n i will test it for u.

sunroof seal wanted please help!!!!

omoc member 5918

16v i240 hatch (coming soon)

truck039.jpgvideo047-1.jpg

Right dates - the weekend of the 5th and 6th of August would be brilliant for me,the weekend of the 12th and 13th August is no go as the sunday is the Woburn Abbey Show,to which you are all invited.

Now the the great benifit of the weekend of 5/6th is i'm off the fri/sat/sun/mon and by then i really hope to have my recovery truck on the road,so on the friday i could go and collect the shell,arrive saturday morning with it,load up the old shell sunday evening and deal with it monday.

Progress with this recovery truck has slowed the last few days as my Gold B has done its head gasket (whats going on there? boo hiss etc!)but the extra week should give me time to get the truck sorted.

Plus with this truck on the road i could bring to the party not only heaps of tools,my scruffy welder and raid my stock of spares (only an hour away from Liecester should the worst happen during the weekend) i could also bring a two ton engine crane and a set of body rollers that tilt a Manta to ease work underneath.

As for what i can do for a Manta well most anything as long as you give me time to work out whats going on!!!

South Midz Manta Bitz

Selling all sorts of parts for your Manta,we dont know exactly what we have got,but there's so much we probably have what you want!surplus parts bought,whole cars considerd. M/B 07947 640505

A MANTAMAN Enterprize

OMOC Member number 2658F

Ian Virco,area rep,Beds and North Bucks,and now with added Hertfordshire!

Right i will have a good poke around the shell, and take a load of pictures of all relavent area's then post them up on my website, for everyone to look at.

BUT i am away till sometime sunday so won't be able to do it till then. While i do have internet access down here i am 300 miles away from the shell at the moment.

I will also check the wiring loom, might even connect a battery (after covering any wiring from the engine) to see hwat works, hopefully everything will be in woring order. I'll also see what condition the brakes and suspension are in.

I know the brakes are still fitted so swapping to the 2.2 setup should be easy enough. Although i don't know what condition the metal brake pipes are in.

I would go for removal of engine and box as the crossmember is still in the shell and if there is no need to disturb it, then i would leave it well alone. If no one has an engine hoist to hand (unlikely i would think) then i can drop mine down with the shell and steve can drop it back with me on his way home (as he will be passing very close to mine on the A1) just an idea though.

The plan seems to be coming together and looking more managable.

I am just worried a little about misleading anyone (mainly the people who will be doing the welding) about the condition of the shell.

Its not that bad compared to others i've repaired (like my grey coupe) but i'm used to resurecting manta's know it will require some welding.

I bought it with the idea of fixing it and was quite happy to do that myself. But i would have taken more than 1 weekend to do it [:I]

I will also attack everything that might need to be undone with wd40 just to speed the process up.

Will update sunday [:)]

http://www.mantasport.co.uk

OMOC no:3325

Definatly 12/13th for me, its the best weekend for work/getting to clives etc.

Steve : put the heater in !!! it is supposed to be there and is a good bit of kit when it is working, i am good at getting them working !!

----All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be---

i actually have a working heater box... just never deemed it necessary to have one... even when it was really cold it wasn't too bad...

but if the one in there works or not i can bring the spare box with me... just i'll need thestereo adapter again as i ripped all the heater bits out of the dash so it would fit flush... was just saying it ain't important to sort the heaters... I'm trying to help people out by not doing anything uneccesary!!! if all people do is get the welding sorted and swap the engine over that'll do me! as long as it'll get through an mot!

Don't soak everything in WD40 please. Use Plus-Gas as it's much much better. WD40 is a lubricant, not a penetrating oil.

I think I can make the 12th for scrapping purposes, which having read Clive's earlier post (ie about standing about chatting - that's me!), is what I think would be my most useful contribution to this.

Steve, you can bypass the heater by disconnecting and then linking the hoses where they go into the heater box with a bit of 15mm copper pipe and two jubilee clips (I may just have some...) but I wouldn't, as Clive says, if I were you.

Cheers,

Joe.

yep sorry, plusgas much better than wd40! was getting over a hectic shift at work and typed the first thing that came into my head! I should be ok for that 12/13th weekend but have a few things going on that might muck it up but its that weekend or nothing for me anyhow.

signature.jpgmantaebay1.jpgcarsmall1.jpg

http://www.chavspotters.com

Andy Turner a.k.a Fat Southern B'stard

Project has taken a turn for the better.

Will update all as soon as confirmation is received but lets just say we don't need to be worrying about the weather.

Also to say that if I could wish for anyone to be working on this car this man is probably the chap I'd wish for, was a pleasant surprise to see his work and say "Who the hell done that welding it is excellent"

http://www.customsolutions.me.uk

man... i swear my car wants to get smashed up... cause of my oil cap farce at billing my ht leads decided to come off and not go back on... changed the dizzy cap so that the leads would stay on... wouldn't start... turned over but there was a really loud pop type noise... decided to get drunk tonight instead of getting so pissed off that i'd smash the car up with a hammer... am i just really stupid and done something wrong? do the leads need to go on a specific way?

probably got the firing order wrong, or if one of your leads as gone

you can get aloud bang, im sure someone will know the firing order.

i dont on 1.8[B)]

sunroof seal wanted please help!!!!

omoc member 5918

16v i240 hatch (coming soon)

truck039.jpgvideo047-1.jpg

Steve. You need our help! The sooner we get you down and teach you some basic car mechanics the better. I'm not being sarcastic so dont take this post wrong, as someone with your enthusiasm deserves to know more about their hobby.

Yes, the leads have a specific order. The whole idea of the dizzy is that it sends a spark through the spark plug at exactly the right moment so that the fuel/air mixture explodes and pushes the piston down. Your leads are now in the wrong order, hence they are not firing the spark plugs at the right time, and your engine will not run. You wont have done any damage, but you need to get them on right for it to run again. I havent actually got the correct order to hand, perhaps someone else does?

signature.jpgmantaebay1.jpgcarsmall1.jpg

http://www.chavspotters.com

Andy Turner a.k.a Fat Southern B'stard

On my GT/E it's No.2 @ the 12 o'clock position, then clockwise 1-3-4.

Dunno if it's the same for 1800s tho.

I'd have liked to come along but I imagine I'd be the distraction Clive was concerned about. Asking about billing, wlding technique etc [:o)]

post Roanoke

OMOC 5885

manta_avatar_small.jpg

loose lips sink ships

Steve,setting the plug leads in order on an 1800 is a case of lining up pointers on the engine.

The engine has to set with the front piston at the top on the firing stroke,known as NUMBER ONE AT TOP DEAD CENTER,FIRING STROKE.

Now a mistake even i have made is the piston comes to the top twice during the full cycle,the other time its at the top is on the exhaust stroke (blowing the burnt gases down the exhaust)

To find TOP DEAD CENTER - FIRING STROKE you need to line up markers,first undo the two 10mm bolts that hold the top of each plastic cover that hides the top cam belt wheel and the wheel that drives distributor so as you ease these covers back enough to see the pully wheels.

Next with a 17mm (i think!) you need to turn the engine round with the bottom pully wheel,the bottom one the fan belt goes round,turn it till the notch in the rear flange of the bottom pully lines up with what is a tiny metal pointer sticking out from behind the bottom of the plastic covers,its on the same side of the engine as the disributor.

With this pointer lined up the front - Number One Piston is at the top,now you can check its the firing stroke,ease the top of the plastic covers back and look at the top cam belt wheel,on this wheel there is a notch on the edge (where the 'teeth' are) and a notch on the wheel that drives the distributor,both of these should be at the top vertically in line with notches in the top of the alloy case (if these notches on the cam and disributor pully wheels are at the bottom then the piston is at the top on the exhaust stroke).

Now with all three markers lined up,the notch and pointer on the bottom pully wheel,the notches on the top cam wheel and distributor wheel with the notches on the alloy case the engine now has number one piston at top dead center firing stroke,take the disributor cap off and the rotor arm will be pointing at the possition number one plug lead goes in,on my 1800 this is the top plug lead possition on the disributor cap,from there the firing order of the engine dictates the order the plug leads go into the disributor cap.

The firing order on your Manta and on every other 4 cylinder engine i can think of is 1-3-4-2,this order goes round the distributor cap the same direction the rotor arm goes round,which on your Manta is anti clockwise AS YOU ARE LOOKING INTO THE DISTRIBUTOR (or clock wise as you are standing at the radiator) so if the rotor arm dictates number one plug lead is at the top of the distributor cap,number three goes away from the engine,number four goes at the bottom and number two nearest to the engine.

As an aside all engines,cars-ships-railway engines (but oddly not areoplanes) number thier pistons from the 'free end' of the engine,the end the that does not have the power taken from it,so on cars number one is always furthest from the gearbox.

Steve your not alone having Manta troubles,i've had a SH1TE week,my gold B split a radiator hose and before i realised the temperature had gone up it had done the head gasket,two months after putting it all back together,and the other Manta on the road,the brown hatch that was parked next to yours at Billing has been 'playing up' takes ages to get it started and wont run properly even after swopping the varish1t crab for a Weber i had,so at the moment i could give a Manta or two a swift kick up the tail pipe with my size twelve safety boots!

By the way,has it been decided which weekend your car is getting the 'works',if it isn't the weekend of the 5/6 then i could try and get saturday the 12th off to give a hand (sunday 13th is the Woburn Abbey Rally)need to know with enough time to book it off.

South Midz Manta Bitz

Selling all sorts of parts for your Manta,we dont know exactly what we have got,but there's so much we probably have what you want!surplus parts bought,whole cars considerd. M/B 07947 640505

A MANTAMAN Enterprize

OMOC Member number 2658F

Ian Virco,area rep,Beds and North Bucks,and now with added Hertfordshire!

quote:Originally posted by Moon Monkey

any ideas people?

i really need this for work next week... does the rotor arm need to be in a specific position as well??

id="quote">id="quote">

Yup. I turned mine round (absent mindendly) and the engine ran like crap [:o)]

post Roanoke

OMOC 5885

manta_avatar_small.jpg

loose lips sink ships