Shugs increasingly solid Manta A project

Shug

Whats gone wrong ? thought it was in for MOT on teusday.

Too much to do, not enough time to do it. had a few setbacks. nothing serious in itself, but all adds up to delays. Was very optimistic to think I'd make it.

Even if I did somehow manage it, wouldnt feel comfortable pushing 1000 miles onto a car in the same week it was driven for the first time in 15 years after a complete modified rebuild.

Still lots to do on this as you'll see. Also in a bit of pain after sawing through the end of my thumb, spending lots of time under car craning neck, and going chest first into the studs on the rear halfshaft.

Also broke my iPhone but that was cos I dropped it when heading into house for a cup of tea!

Engine sounds like a bag o spanners at best. Think the rockers need adjusting and its possibly drawing air at the manifold. The design of the inlet manifold makes it so ridiculously awkward to bolt on I'm considering ditching the bike carbs and trying injection. (that was a worthy investment :rolleyes: )

As it is now:

car.JPG

engine2.JPG

front.JPG

interior2.JPG

interior.JPG

Shug

The car seems to be moving on nicely, a little slower than you expected but you will get it finished soon. Then you have time to iron out the small things before Billing 2012.

Keep up the excellent work and enjoy the rest this weekend :thumbup

• 4 weeks later...

I hate bike carbs.

Or more accurately, I hate the shitty manifold they are attached to. Didn't save any space by using them. Still needed a remote reservoir, and given the cost I'd have been as well using webers and a remote servo.

If anyone else thinks on using bike carbs on a CIH, save yourself a pile of grief and use webers or injection. :angry:

I can second that. Used manifolds for the old CIH´s are still out there and there´s plenty of them (unless you need the ones for the 2,2 or 2,4). Webers are not the best to use, i have always stuck to Dellorto´s and they are still cheap used as well, and all you need can be bought pretty cheap. A good Dellorto setup won´t set you back more than 200£ if you are lucky and that includes different bits an pieces for repairs thumbsup.gif

You can´t beat the sound of a CIH running double carbs thumbsup.gif

I hate bike carbs.

Or more accurately, I hate the shitty manifold they are attached to. Didn't save any space by using them. Still needed a remote reservoir, and given the cost I'd have been as well using webers and a remote servo.

If anyone else thinks on using bike carbs on a CIH, save yourself a pile of grief and use webers or injection. :angry:

have you seen what this guy has done vith his servo etc have a look in the link , longer manafold = more torque

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300577831223&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Still sounds like a bag o spanners, but it moves!!!!

front.JPG

rear.JPG

wires are for licence plate lights and fog light. exhaust temporarily hung. Oh, and bonnet still needs adjusted, but its not closed properly either in above pic.

Edited by Shug

I hate bike carbs.

Hi Shug,

Can't fault mine, been running on Yamaha 4xv R1 carbs since 2009 and find them far superior to the twin Webers I had previously used, nearly 30mpg and not having to 'tweek' them constantly to keep them in tune. I have done exactly the same servo mod moving the original servo to behind the O/S headlight, but that was originally moved for the Webers anyway so plenty room now for a fabricated airbox with a cold air feed for the bike carbs :thumbup

on Webers....

SportshatchosinnerwingMedium-2.jpg

on Bike carbs......

SportshatchatDobbies004.jpg

Keep up the good work Shug :D

cheers, Colin.

• 2 months later...

Its been a long war, some battles won, some at great cost. Sweary words have been prolifically thrown around. Things have been thrown, stamped on, destroyed with a big ****ing hammer. I have shed blood, sweat and tears. I have balanced on the precipice of insanity. Felt ecstatic highs and terrible lows.

But now the climactic final battle is almost upon me. Once more into the breech dear friend.

Yup, the MOT is booked for monday.

I find it hard to believe you've shed 'sweat' during this project, I didn't think it ever got above freezing north of Watford?:lol:

Seriously, your's was one of the first threads I read after joining the Club and I have nothing but admiration for your acheivement, I hope it passes OK and you have many years of pleasure from it, well done!:thumbup

I'm off for a cool drink now, it's been a sunny 22c today and I'm parched!!

Alf.