Shugs increasingly solid Manta A project

Shug

Exactly. Shouldn't take long to rectify. To be honest, I booked the MOT before the car was finished and thought I could get all the jobs done before the mot time. Obviously I didnt!

Still, retest on monday at 1:30 and theres only a fwe hours work needed probably, so will have time to double, and triple check everything this time.

Fucking thing never even made the mot station. Throttle jammed wide open (shitty cable) and somethings gone wrong with servo so when engine starts, vacuum pulls pedal to floor and jams all the brakes on. Coupled with the shitty paintwork I'm back in that dark place where I want to destroy things.

It is a hard won fight to do up a car in the circumstances you have. the work done and the distance travelled, the time, the fight is all part of the journey.

I actually hate driving cars now, I get carved up by prats, frustrated at the lack of being able to make progress and the standard of driving I see is so low i feel my cars are under threat.

To me it is the chat on the show field, the tracking down of hard to find parts, the forum with advice and the genral meeting of new people I would ever meet in my normal day.

So, the car is a side line, the enabler, the time waste, the thing to chat about, the thing that brings us together.

Yep, yours wants more attention, please investigate the wierd brake thing, I have never had a manta do that particular fault to me so I have no idea what might be wrong there. Which is a bit of a first for me. Normally one of the tubs I own has done any fault at least once, sometimes catching me out several times the same way, in 20 years of manta ownership you get used to the silly niggles and failures but this is a new one.

Let us know what it is, it's why we are all here.

Hi Shug.

Away for awe gid swallae und re group :thumbup yul git there. Check yur vacuum control valve in vacuum hose, test for servo operation,yae got wan owe they Haynes booki`s on thi `A`

Hope yae git sorted,and widnae bother aboot yur paint awe yae kin see when drivin is doon yur bunnet and awe tad in yon WEEEEEEEEEEEEE door mirrors oniway yur paint kin bi sorted oot oni time.

cheers rab.

• 2 months later...

Replaced the first servo. Second servo seemed fine until after a few mins the pedal started creeping towards the floor. Had to keep foot under it to stop car coming to a stop.

Bought a brand new golf servo and seems to be ok, tho I've not driven it yet. Need to replace the fan controller that only wants to start the fan when the coolant is pissing out the top of the radiator. Also need new tyres which I cannae afford which is why its been temporarily abandoned.

Hi Shug,

I finally managed to have a look thru all 13 pages of your project, (big well done)

Just wanted to say if you need a hand with anything - just ask , (bit late i no)

Im in inverness myself (thats where my cars are) im no expert on manta A`s

but I`ll help ya if needed ;)

Best of luck

Kevin

Its been a long war, some battles won, some at great cost. Sweary words have been prolifically thrown around. Things have been thrown, stamped on, destroyed with a big ****ing hammer. I have shed blood, sweat and tears. I have balanced on the precipice of insanity. Felt ecstatic highs and terrible lows.

But now the climactic final battle is almost upon me. Once more into the breech dear friend.

Yup, the MOT is booked for monday.

A long awaited day buddy and you will get there, the throttle and other minor issues are just the normal spanners in the works. Look on the bright side the work of art is almost complete.

A long awaited day buddy and you will get there, the throttle and other minor issues are just the normal spanners in the works. Look on the bright side the work of art is almost complete.

Fair gets your heart racing when you start the engine and it starts screaming its head off! Fortunately I had 3 metres of accelerator cable lying around. Still, its largely finished. Just need to replace the thermostat for heater fan so it comes on before boiling over!

What size?

185/70/13 Was gonna get vredestein quadracs.

• 4 weeks later...

One exists already,its just off the A30 near Penzance in Cornwall.

Brown tourist signs will but put up soon directing visitors to 'THE CORNISH MANTA SANCTURY'

People will be able to visit and see each Manta in its own container,demonstrations of the working ones will be made,they will be able to visit the workshop to see them under repair,the entrance fee and donations will go toward the upkeep of the species.

I'm sure it will become another popular stop on the south west tourist trail!

Sounds like a fun day out- not sure the family will enjoy it as much as me though! I could bribe them with ice cream? Do you sell ice cream Paul??!!!

Edited by si-north

• 1 month later...

RICKY GAULD

Damhead Croft

Bridge of Marnoch

Huntly

AB54 7XH

He`s the best around for cars mate ,

Worth a phone call to see if he can help ,

Mine`s going there when finished , he has a rolling road too :)

Kev

hi aye!! coming north for a cruz this summer!? well delighted for ya man!

If I can get that elusive 4th cylinder firing. Got enough electric shocks to know te ignition is fine! Still to tax it but waiting til next week for the start of a month!

If I can get that elusive 4th cylinder firing. Got enough electric shocks to know te ignition is fine! Still to tax it but waiting til next week for the start of a month!

Hey Shug I'm taxing mine tomorrow, it's the earliest you can do it without losing a month plus if you do it then it should be cheaper than doing it next week because it's going from the 1st of April .

Well done with your MOT

Ray