Shugs increasingly solid Manta A project

Shug

13 minutes ago, Manta Mal said:

That sound like a great plan Shrug.

I'm pulled between spraying my manta on my drive/garage or taking it to a pro.

I have not had a quote, but guess it would be £2k - £3k?

I attended a college evening course on spraying back in the 80's, but have only sprayed 2 cars since, with varying degrees of success.

Guess if I also do all the prep and a coat of epoxy primer, then a local pro spraying quote, should reflect this?

I would have a chat to a couple of body shops and see what they say as this was my though and i contacted a couple of places near me and they were not keen to take on something if i had primed it. I think they will be ok if i do they sanding and filling which will mean they just have to do a quick check over and paint, but as you say still expensive. Im going to have a go at mine as like you i did a course years ago. I figure for 2K i can get quite a bit of paint and have quite a few goes for that 🙂 Whats the worst that can happen!! 

I did wonder about getting the best finish i could out out of the gun and quite a few coats and then getting one of those detailing companies to flat and mop it. they were only a few hundred quid to do that. Might be better route?

I did look at trying to find a paint shop that would hire you the booth but noting near me 😞 i think that would be a good way to go.

Much of the money is the prep, so the less they need to do the cheaper it should be. A lot of places aren't keen on relying on customer work tho.

Biggest problem doing it diy, is getting a clean dust free place to do it, where flies don't get to the paint, and the equipment to spray proper paint without losing your lungs in the process. Plus the skill required! 

For a detailing co to do a wet sand and polish would be more than a couple hundred quid (for a decent one!)

Usually a couple hundred gets a machine polish to rectify minor scratches and swirls. A full blown detail with wet sand and polish to a high standard would be closer to a grand than you'd think! 

37 minutes ago, Shug said:

Much of the money is the prep, so the less they need to do the cheaper it should be. A lot of places aren't keen on relying on customer work tho.

Biggest problem doing it diy, is getting a clean dust free place to do it, where flies don't get to the paint, and the equipment to spray proper paint without losing your lungs in the process. Plus the skill required! 

For a detailing co to do a wet sand and polish would be more than a couple hundred quid (for a decent one!)

Usually a couple hundred gets a machine polish to rectify minor scratches and swirls. A full blown detail with wet sand and polish to a high standard would be closer to a grand than you'd think! 

I best be doing the wet sand myself then!! I was thinking of vinyl wrapping as i did get a quote for less than a grand for the A if i took all the parts off and did any prep work so all they needed to do was any final details and then wrap and i would put all the bits on. Still unsure if that is a better option than painting, i suppose it depends on how straight i could get it looking!!