Shugs increasingly solid Manta A project

Shug

Hi Shug,

Well done on the progress, It's a difficult time to get any work done on the car if the drinks were flowing anywhere near as freely as they have been in Fife! Respect!

Have you still got that Autobalm? I can come and collect it whenever suits you.

Cheers,

Pass me the gun and ask me again....

OMOC 6095

Oh, the drink was flowing all right!

Lets just say that the smell of etchweld doesn't sit easy with a quesy stomach! [:D]

Only had a couple whiskies, honest [:P]

And yes, I still have the autobalm. When could you be in edinburgh to collect?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMOC #5988

hmackay at opel-manta.com

mcrae.jpg

Be the change you want to see in the world - Gandhi, India

Quit whining and shift yer **** - Shug, Edinburgh

If the weekend would be easier for you I'd be about. Was gonna send you an email but you don't have one in your profile. I work by Haymarket (mon-fri 9-5 lark)and live in Newhaven if that helps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMOC #5988

mcrae.jpg

The box sections on the inner wing Shug can still be got Dr Manta has them and I also think MK on the forum has some they aint that expensive around £15 a side. Good to see you got at the car over xmas [:)]

http://www.mantamagic.com

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

opel-Robbie-sig1s.gif

OMOC 5706

Please dont shoot me it,s only an opinion not a demand

Email robbie @ mantamagic.com (without the spaces)

quote:Originally posted by Robbie

The box sections on the inner wing Shug can still be got Dr Manta has them and I also think MK on the forum has some

id="quote">id="quote">

Already got the box section off MK. Just never got round to putting it on. Got carried away with other stuff while the etchweld was drying!

OMOC #5988

mcrae.jpg

• 3 months later...

Still working on this!

Cleaned a door

DSC00796.JPG

Its a shame it'd just start rusting cos I reckon a manta would look rather funky with that finish. Coated in hydrate 80 now.

Got engine mounted on the long awaited engine stand and saw how pretty it was inside

DSC00798.JPG

DSC00799.JPG

DSC00801.JPG

Mmmmm, crusty.....

Sneezed on the block

DSC00800.JPG

and amazingly it got cleaner

DSC00802.JPG

And finally I accidently cut something I shouldn't have....

DSC00795.JPG

I suspect angle grinders have guards for a reason.......

I have had a few of those grinder scars, they dont bleed much when you do them and they look likt they will heal up ok but after a few days they scab up go all serious looking. mine took ages to heal.

That car is coming on Hugh ! its in roughly the same state as mine now, on wheels but still a fair bit to go.

The next jobs to be done are:

Send head off to be reconned

weld on wheel arches, rear quarters and sill, spare wheel well and couple patches in boot.

clean up front a bit

Then its just a case of a bit of sanding, painting, bung the engine, box, tank couple wires n pipes and the odd bit of glass and trim and its finished.

Nae worries

Ready for Billing then no probs Shrug

If you can convince my employers to give me more holiday cos I've none left, then aye!

Keith, the mixed bag of bolts might no be much use for a manta. They are small. The nuts someone suggested for the bush to chassis leg were way too big.

Think I'll just have to order a pile of individual ones. Handy company to know tho.

(www.namrick.co.uk for anyone thats wondering)

The blue stuff is Bilt Hambers Hydrate 80. Rust proofing stuff.

The discs are dronco fibre strip discs. Pretty much the same as the frost ones I think. I'd estimate needing anywhere from 5 up to 10 to do a car. Used most of one just on the door, but it was covered in filler.

• 3 weeks later...

A little more slow progress:

I took one engine

engine.JPG

And pulled some stuff off

head.JPG

crank.JPG

Finally unwrapped a door I bought off ebay a while back and realised 'mint' was perhaps no quite the word.

door.JPG

corner.JPG

edge.JPG

Few edges bent over, so out came the hammer

corner2.JPG

Gonna need a bit of work with the body hammers, a drill, a pick and a big tub o filler.

Oh, and the aforementioned car in current state:

car.JPG

I'll get it finished one day, one year.......

Shug mate,,,,, if there is anything I could advise you on it would be this,,,,,,,,,,,

Enjoy what you are doing, don't put yourself under time constraints and any uneeded pressure, but just find time to relax pottering about on your project.

I got myself to a state where I was battling against the clock with my V8 (huge topic long since been deleted by the "Forum" apparently )

It will get there in the end mate, don't rush, relax and enjoy seeing a car evolve back to good steel bit by bit :thumbup

I agree with Clive. Re: my own project, I wanted the car done this year, but due to various set backs it looks less likely. So now I think I'm gonna spend the money I had saved for bodywork on a nice holiday and tackle the bodywork myself. I did think the wiring would only take about a fortnight as I had it all planned and a lot of the loom already made, but so far its been nearly 5 weeks

If you set yourself a deadline and you start to get set backs you lose interest very quickly. Better to take your time, enjoy it and get the job done properly the first time around.

@ Shug & Clive.

Your past stunning V8 is what you can achieve under time constraints what could you do pottering along and enjoying yourself. That car I would like to see one day.

cheers rab. :thumbup

Shug, yur gettin on grand.