Shugs increasingly solid Manta A project

Shug

Hey Shug, your car looks great. Don't listen to people who try to slag it off as not being shiny enough or try to pick faults with it. At the end of the day, you have done it all yourself and not wrote a cheque out and had some garage/professional do it for you. Anyone with enough money can get a showroom/concours car, but it's the grassroots enthusiast who will always get my vote and praise, for they are the ones who do the majority of the work themselves. I have done engine conversions and bodywork out on my drive in the past, so hat's off to you. You need to bring it to Billing, you and the manta deserve to be there and we can all have a beer or three as we laugh about the problems we have had doing our own cars. :thumbup

I swear the body on the manta is made from butter. Number of dents appearing is ridiculous.

The only way to do it is to give the entire car bondo and grind it down with a long sandpaper board. My project involves this process too. Fortunatly my car is already black so i discovered all this early in the process :) Also i am doing a matte black paintjiob to finish it off and this will also (i hope) hide any inperfections missed during the work :)

Slowly slowly catchee monkey....

motor.JPG

Pretty much ready to be polished, then I can mount the bumper properly.

Then, just antiroll bar spacers, new tyres, front seats in, bleed brakes, fine tune ignition timing, vacuum hose, grill trim, live wire to horn, licence plates, adjust bonnet boot and windows, rear fog light attached to rear bumper, clean down and a couple coats of wax then its off to the MOT station! (and it bloody better pass!)

That's that fucked then. This car will not see billing. Prob not even the summer. I'm wondering what in the hell possessed me to take on a project like this.

Billing in my shitty audi again. I'll be drinking heavily that weekend.

Just finished putting oil in gearbox and fitting cable and something went crack and clutch fork flopping about. Need to take box off car which will be fun with no lift on a dirt garage floor.

:(

"I'm wondering what in the hell possessed me to take on a project like this."

Because you have saved another `A` series :thumbup

Because you love the marque and styling :thumbup

Because you like many are a true enthusiast for the Manta :thumbup

Because you like many are part of this great car club O.M.O.C :thumbup

Because you knew within yur sel you could achieve what you have already done :thumbup

Because you know at some point you will be driving onto the plains owe Billing WITH GREAT SATISFACTION KNOWING ITS ALL MY OWN WORK :thumbup

Need add no more me thinks, hope yae git sorted shug, it will be worth all your hard effort.

Regards.

Rab.

Well said Rab,

Shug, you have done it all, you have got a cracking car you made from a shell from the opposite side of the country, parts from a scrapper and bits you have found via ebay, here and Billing.

It is the journey in life that is the fun not the final arrival, and you have had the fun of the hunt and the satisfaction you did it all.

Pop the bloody release arm back on the pivot via the rubber bung holes, its fiddly but possible.

Stop being a big jessie and we will see you at Billing.

Now see if I didnt have an iPhone, I wouldnt be able to post stuff like that as I try to remove the breaker bar end from the wall. :lol:

Unfortunately I still cant see it making billing (bar on the back of a trailer) still way to much to do and I can only get at it for another 3 days I reckons before billing.

I could always turn up in a partially sanded unpolished manta I spose, with only the drivers seat. :D

If I didn't live the other end of the country, I'd come and give you a hand. Hope it makes it to Billing under its own steam after all your hard work. I'm in the same boat with mine so I know how you feel.

• 2 weeks later...

Clutch sorted surprisingly easy. Hope it doesnt fall off again! Now I just have to deal with the servo full of brake fluid and the engine that sounds like a tractor and I'm back on course. No convinced it'll see billing (unless I find a towbar and trailer and the manta crew fancy a challenge at billing!)

Got next monday and tuesday off work.

Just booked an MOT for tuesday! :blink:

So, 16 hour days minimum working on sat, sun and mon then! :lol:

Just insurance to sort now.

Insured now! B)

Just that darn MOT now.

Edited by Shug

Oh well, billing in an audi again. On the bright side it does have aircon for when I'm sitting in a traffic jam on the m6 in scorching sun.

also smashed my iPhone. Wasn't even angry, just butter fingers. Oops!!