Can it be done!!??

MadamVectra

Hi all. I've finally set-to on my Manta... There is quite a bit to do, but I'm optimistic, so I've set Billing as my deadline to finish... Will I make it!!?? Keep watching (and encouraging!) to find out!

ok. Day 1 and the car has already been partially stripped (I got bored on the occasional evening!) Work needed that I know of so far: Repairs to both a-panels, both floorpans, jacking points and sills (suprise suprise). Also needs both rear arches replacing and the badly dmaged rear quarter reparing. Whole car to be resprayed and protected.

9am and it looks like this:

quarterday1.jpg

Some rot has already been cut from the n/s floor and a-panel:

wingday1.jpg

floorday1.jpg

12 midday and progress is good.. Engine, gearbox and front subrame all out.

shellliftday1.jpg

2 pm, and the rear axle is off, and shell rolling on a trolley.

shellontrolleyday1.jpg

4pm, engine bay almost totally stripped. Gonna call it a day now!

enginebayday1.jpg

OMOC - 5716

That's encouraging me as well! Good to see a rare Manta getting rebuilt too. Is it gonna be standard?

79 SRB coupe - anyone know what a B230FT is?, 79 Cav saloon - 16v sleeper, 1986 GT/E hatch in red street camo colour scheme, 198? GT/E hatch - building from a bare shell to factory spec

Thanks for the encouragement.. Now here's the next installment!

Day 2:

10am and engine bay is totally stripped, thankfully no unpleasant suprises.

enginebayday2.jpg

12 midday an glass out, shell now totally stripped.

bareshellday2.jpg

2pm new metal cut for n/s floor, a-panel and pillar, n/s seat mount and two patches for o/s inner sill.

floorday2.jpg

apanelsectionsday2.jpg

4pm o/s rear arch cut back, repair panel cut down, joddled and fitted... Just waiting for my welder (brother!) to arrive.

osarchunweldedday2.jpg

7pm all metalwork welded and ready for my dinner!

ossillday2.jpg

floorweldedday2.jpg

apanelday2.jpg

osarchweldedday2.jpg

OMOC - 5716

Also, in reply to your comments....

Yes, the shell is generally not bad... Perfect chassis rails and roof, hence the rebuild!

I'm not sure about the colour. I think it's vauxhall rainbow blue? you see it on Corsa's everywhere. It's not staying though - respray in Polar white!

As for keeping it standard, those with a keen eye may have noticed it's already modified. Take a look at the engine/subframe shot... It's a seh 8v (SRi 130) engine. Also has custom built 2 1/2" bore exhaust, vented discs (as seen in pic) and Bilsteins all round. Otherwise more or less standard!

Callum.

OMOC - 5716

give's me a bit of hope that mine will actually get sorted!!!

Mint!! Though i will admit if that's what welded floors look like then I'll have to put carpets down.... or some thick paint!![:o)][:o)]

(no offence cause it's better than I'll ever be able to do!!!)

B934RJA... soon to be pimped... and evil bay is bad for your health...

Hehe.. Yeah, I asked him to try and weld well for once but just got the usual blobby cr*p!!![;)]

Anyhoooo... Day 3!

Bit of a late start today. Got underway at around 10am. Time to take that battered quarter. It looked like this...

nsquarterday3.jpg

12 midday. Lots of panel beating to gat the quarter a bit more Manta-shaped, and old arch has been cut out and tidied.

nsarchcutday3.jpg

1pm. Repair section fitted and area cleaned up ready for welding.

nsarchunweldedday3.jpg

3pm. While I'm waiting for Mr Mig, decided to filler and smooth yesterday's arch repair.

osarchsmoothedday3.jpg

5pm. all yesterday's welding work has been seam-sealered, undersealed and painted where appropriate and o/s rear arch in primer.

osarchinprimerday3.jpg

7pm. n/s arch section welded in. Thats it for today.

nsarchweldedday3.jpg

keep your eyes peeled for the next exiting installment!! [:D]

OMOC - 5716

[:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0]

[:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0][:0]

Gosh! I would never have believed that was the same rear quarter panel, that is stunning work Callum and Nat, so good to see the car straightening up.

I reckon fitting a rear quarter would have been a bigger job than what you have done there.

http://www.customsolutions.me.uk

hehe. Yeah they are Hadrian panels although I don't think they do em any more. Today has been a less productive day. Just lots and lots of sanding and lots and lots of cursing! Have been fillering and smoothing the rippled quarter... not an easy job to get it nice and flat!

Will update pics 2moro morning. Thats assuming i havn't found the razor blades by then[:(]

OMOC - 5716

Fair play you have managed more in a few days than i have in the last twelve months (altough my car is 45 miles away from my house ) even so keep up the good work at that rate you will be done by the end of next week.[:D]

17180743241d04a47b01e3.gif

heh. S'ok Clive, thanks anyway. I should be OK. Hoping to get some paint on today actually - It's not windy for the first time this week!

OK. Day 4.

Like I said, a frustratingly slow day.

10am. Quarter tripped of paint ready for filler.

nsquarterbareday4.jpg

2pm! one layer of filler on and smoothed. second just applied.. getting fed up of sanding now!

nsquarterfillerday4.jpg

4pm. Taken a break from filler, to strip and primer bootlid and doors (new doors being fitted as old ones rotten).

doorday4.jpg

bootlidday4.jpg

5pm. Primer on quarter to protect it, but it still needs another filler session as has ripples in (looks ok at first glance though).

nsquarterprimerday4.jpg

Day 5 will be more fillering to smmoth the ripples and hopefully some painting if all goes well (which it probably won't!!!)

Callum.

OMOC - 5716

quote:Originally posted by Mantastic

hehe. Yeah they are Hadrian panels although I don't think they do em any more.

id="quote">id="quote">

thats o'k, bought some about 3 years ago...just pleased to see that with a bit (o'k a lot) of skill, they can be made to look decent...

keep up the good work there fella.

http://www.cymrumanta.co.uk

Will you be putting the GTJ stripes back on once the car is sprayed? If you want a set of white ones I've got some you can have that algtj made for me. I've got enough for 3 cars!

79 SRB coupe - anyone know what a B230FT is?, 79 Cav saloon - 16v sleeper, 1986 GT/E hatch in red street camo colour scheme, 198? GT/E hatch - building from a bare shell to factory spec