Junkyard Dog

Well the intention was just to get her through the mot. stripped and cleaned front brakes sorted out lights. And to cut a long story short it has got to be a little more lol . As mantas go it isnt really too bad but whilst doing brakes noticed small hole on osf chassis rail so welded it up thinkin this isnt too bad as you do went to do nsf brakes and noticed front spring broken looked at others and found both rears also broken So fitted new springs (Thanks PMA) still thinking ok not too bad whilst fitting nsf spring couldnt resist a little poke about and found small hole in chassis poke some more and small hole becomes big hole. Ok weld that up still not too bad and replace steel brake pipe on that side while im at it. then find inner wing that was deceptively good from under the bonnet is actually quite bad from in the arch but should get through mot so yet more welding in the future. I dont dare remove the wing or I will create more work and I need the car for a daily driver when the tax runs out on my "hold your breath" 1975 Capri "boo hiss traitor lol"

Sound familiar anyone lol

Next go to remove eyesore of a towbar and not being able to resist a good poke and prod find lower rear valance completely full of filler, paper and even concrete lol not strictly an mot failure but me being me I have to chop it all out and replace the gaps with steel.

This was supposed to be a quickly on the road car to tide me through until I get the manta pickup ready as a daily driver Why am I the Eternal optimist lol

86 exclusive coupe

88 exclusive pickup

86 GTE Hatch

LOL

Check out the holes where the number plate was!!!

Maybe I should make them bigger and fit some rear fogs there lol save welding em up

The beauty of puting zinc coated screws straight through steel body work

Speaking of rear ends just noticed my other hatch has the number plate on a recess in the bumper with a cheap sort of light lense material infill panel where the number plate is (was) on this one?

Why the difference?

86 exclusive coupe

88 exclusive pickup

86 GTE Hatch

The Infill Panel and Bumper mounted plate is an Exclusive thang. Number plate between the tail lights is the usual GTE style.

OMOC 5885

manta_avatar_small.jpg

refitting is the reverse of removal

quote:LOOK AND YOU WILL FIND!
id="quote">id="quote">

exactly right, but the temptation is not to look. Not knowing about it just isnt gonna help. Give a good poke around and fix anything thats there. It really is the only way to go at these cars IMO.

If what I say can be taken in 2 ways and one of those ways get you angry....I meant it the other way

Yes exactly one of those

I think I prefer the standard infill panel like my coupe has

Is it just me or do they look well tacky for want of a better word

86 exclusive coupe

88 exclusive pickup

86 GTE Hatch

• 3 weeks later...

Well all the mot welding done (and a bit more)Brakes stripped and cleaned. And washed lol. The timing chain replaced, oil and filter (well oil at least filter supplied was incorrect so had to stick old one back on temporarily was going to do it again very soon anyway as she has stood for god knows how long) Springs all replaced and staright through an Mot. No doubt fist few miles will throw up a few more problems but at least im on the road in a manta again[:D][:D][:D]

86 exclusive coupe

88 exclusive pickup

86 GTE Hatch

Lol well first little road trip had a bit of excitement 30 miles from home and the alternator decides to pack up I kept going and watched the votmeter go down and down and all the wierd sideeffects like tacho blipping up to 3k when indicators or brake lights on she finally died 20 yds from home and i rolled into the drive. phew that was lucky (I own a transporter but didnt fancy a walk lol)Turns out it was just the field wire corroded in the plug so easy fix. repaired that and now the voltage regulator is kaputt. Aah the joys of 20 yr old cars. But I wouldnt have it any other way I knew there would be a few bugs to sort out. Got a bit of a vibration at speed suspect the wheels/tyres so will swap them over today I happen to have a set of anthracite rims with tyres should actually look good.

86 exclusive coupe

88 exclusive pickup

86 GTE Hatch

Put on the anthracite alloys I had and I am please with the result what does everyone else think?

DSCF0023.jpg

I wasnt sure to start with but I think im sold on it now and it cured the speed wobble nice and smooth up to 80 now.

Also been busy and replaced Voltage stabiliser and a few bulbs while I was there. Traced fuel gauge fault to the earth wire having corroded and fallen off.I cleaned up a bit of the tank lip and crocodile clipped it there and gauge now works just need to find a more permanent fix but not quite sure what to do cant really weld braze etc to the tank. Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a conductive epoxy?

86 exclusive coupe

88 exclusive pickup

86 GTE Hatch

• 2 weeks later...

Grrr Damn Bother Feck etc etc.

On the way to work Car started to clunk on overun and definately speed related. Got underneath and the output shaft on the gearbox is slopping around, So Its new gearbox time. The amount of play I wouldnt be surprised if the case is knackered. My father always said wheelspins and sliding a car sideways was no good for it lol. But its so much fun.

So I will be replacing the gearbox this weekend and while im at it I will take the engine out and fix the oil pressure sender wiring might even paint the block and replace the sump gasket if I can get one in time.

I maybe will even BLACK THE TYRES LOL Yes I know it needs it but it all means the longer the paint work has to wait .

86 exclusive coupe

88 exclusive pickup

86 GTE Hatch