project marmite

Christ

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lightweight flywheel the other end (4.1Kg, old one was 7.6Kg)....

lightflywheel.jpg

New flywheel requires M8 clutch bolts, rather then the M7 std ones, which I didn't realize until trying to fit it yesterday

If you don't mind me asking, where did you source the lightweight flywheel?

If you don't mind me asking, where did you source the lightweight flywheel?

LMF Vauxhall :thumbup

Had a look at several but this one came with integral ring gear which the others didn't.

Looks identical to a std one from the front, all the bulk is missing from the back....

lightflywheelback.jpg

Apart from the fact it didn't come with clutch bolts (emailed them, see if it should have) can't fault it or their service, very quick delivery.

Also used them for the headgaskets.

If ordering from them just remember to check their ebay store as well - vauxhallpartsuk - the flywheel was about £20 cheaper from their website but the HG £10 cheaper from their ebay store :o

• 2 weeks later...

that would be telling ;)

oh, and I made this today.....

SP_A0261.jpg

to replace the cut down 1.8 plastic coolant t-piece behind the water pump, think i might have cracked it tightening the clips up the other day :rolleyes:

Edited by Christ

What are the bits and bob's in the last pick for then?

Put them together with some lengths of CDS tubing and you get door bars......

SP_A0278.jpg

Foot plates welded to one end....

SP_A0274-1.jpg

Bolted through the footwell to another footplate with captive nuts....

SP_A0280.jpg

And attached the other end to a bracket welded to the existing half cage....

SP_A0283-2.jpg

Cage needs removing to get a full seam round the bracket.

Closer fitting exhaust....

SP_A0281-2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Been a while so a quick update then......

While working on the cage I welded in some spreader plates for the main hoop, something I should have done when first fitting it but didn't know (before the days of the internet :unsure: )

SP_A0306.jpg

Made some brackets to weld to the main hoop which will bolt up to the seatbelt mount on the B-pillar..

beltbrackets.jpg

More brackets, this time to attach to the cross bar....

Cagebracket3.jpg

SP_A0301-1.jpg

Another set of brackets, which clamp round the harness bar to hang the nitrous bottle from...

nitroushangerbrackets.jpg

nitroushanger.jpg

finishedcage3.jpg

Time to tackle the bodykit next

Cut down the splitter so it doesn't stick out quite so far and extended the centre section uprights....

SP_A0364-1.jpg

Added some aluminium angle to the edges of the sideskirts to square them up a bit to match the rear of the front bumper.....

SP_A0333.jpg

Ran the angle grinder along the bottom of the rear bumper and dropped the leading edge to tie in with the sideskirts...

SPA_A0383.jpg

The other side to compare...

SPA_A0382.jpg

Also fitted some longer studs in the front hubs so I could use bigger spacers..

SPg_A0371.jpg

SP_A0385.jpg

In between rubbing down I've been having fun and games with the engine, first off it started running really rough, sounding like it was running on 3 cylinders. Compression test was good, spark seemed good, swapping plugs over had no effect, puling plug leads to see which cylinder wasn't firing yielded this result....

:o

Threw in some new plugs and that sorted it, think the short runs had fouled the old ones too much

Engine was still smoking/breathing heavy though so, as comp test was good decided to replace the valve stem oil seals (henceforth referred to as vsos), didn't want to remove the head again so made a little something (out of scrap) to compress the valve springs with it in place and cord down the bores to hold the valves.

SP_A0358.jpg

Once I'd sourced some vsos pliers the job went quite well, although if I were to do it again I'd make the compressor lockable to free up another hand to reinstall the collets.

7 out of 16 split vsos...

SP_A0376.jpg

All back together is seems to have done the trick

SP_A0379-1.jpg

You still tinkering with that Chris!?!:thumbup

Still looking good, I reckon you and I should swap once mine is finished!!!:D

Glad to see it evolving again, keep it up.

I could be tempted to take that slow old thing off your hands ;)

Oh my god that thing is awsome! That is so bad-ass! Look like it came out of the set of Mad Max or something, absolutely stunning. Great work !

Been following the build on RR, you must work on that car every day!

Yea i think the new side looks better than the old, works better with the Mantas sharp edges.

The valve compressor is fantastic :thumbup

BTW i got some hub centric spacers off ebay cheap as they were listed for a Misti Colt, same pcd and similar bore

Edited by Kevin Abbott

Yeah, actually I do try to work on it every day - little and often seems to be doing the trick, my garage isn't at the house so I call in on the way to work in the morning and do an hour and again on the way back for an hour or so more.

Will have to check out ebay spacers......

Edited by Christ

• 4 weeks later...

Looks absolutely great! The exhaust is not in my taste, would look better with an exhaust goint out of the side just before or after the rear arch but that is just my oppinion, other from that, i still think it is absolutely awsome!! thumbsup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Seemed to go down well with the crowd at retro show this weekend (being the only manta there for some reason).....

IMAG0232.jpg

behaved itself too, apart from a slight problem with the alternator bracket on the way home :unsure:

Edited by Christ

Damn shame the Retro show was the same weekend as Billing, (I didn't realise this) Good to see a Manta prescence there though Chris :thumbup

Typical of the VBOA to create such a clash though, as I'm sure Billing was normally later in july.

You going to Japfest 2 at Donnington at the weekend? I'm tempted as it is just across the road from me, but cash may be just a tad too tight.