Rick's Manta V8 - NEW VIDEO

Mick

quote:Originally posted by PeteM

any luck with finding a garage ?

id="quote">id="quote">

Nope, it surprises me in this day and age how fu*king difficult it is to find somewhere to keep your car locked away. If I can't find a garage or barn by the end of January the V8's up for sale as I can't afford to run the Chevolet and pay tax, test and insurance just to park the V8 on the road. Are you out of the council one yet Pete or still having problems finding a proper one like I am?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Engine bay before:-

v8before.jpg

Engine bay currently:-

v8after.jpg

Had 'some' water ingress in the heater box. This has now been cleaned up a bit and I'll be looking for a steel bulkhead cover to shut off the gaps and to make it look good. With all that junk out the way there was now room to fit an OMP strut brace which has been kicking around for a while.

heaterarea.jpg

Having now fitted my chromed rocker covers, I have a major problem in that the throttle linkage won't move due to clearence issues. It's going to be a case of modifying either the rocker cover or the throttle linkage. In both cases I'll have to get them done professionally which is a major setback.

rightbank.jpg

leftbank.jpg

engineside.jpg

The K&N's have also created a problem: They sit too high and touch the underside of the bonnet so now I've got to hunt down a bonnet scoop wide enough to reach both airfilters. Might look a bit daft thought since it's a 400 bonnet which already has scoops and holes everywhere [:(] In all honesty I am getting a bit tired of 'dressing up turds' and am likely to sell this car as an unfinished project. Trouble is I've bought so many parts to fit and stripped a lot of the car down before I can ask a decent price, and each part I seem to fit creates another problem elsewhere, arrrg!

id="size4">id="blue">

Pop an edelbrock 4 barrel carb on there Rick and the matching inlet manifold. also available from summit reacing chromed would match the rocker covers and overcome those probs [:)]

this guy seems to be selling a load of rover bits at the moment

Item number: 320072421893

or order the parts of summit yourself prob work out way cheaper,

this is the carb [:)]

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

http://www.mantamagic.com

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

... ed&search=

quote:Pop an edelbrock 4 barrel carb on there Rick and the matching inlet manifold. also available from summit reacing chromed would match the rocker covers and overcome those probs

id="quote">id="quote">

Depends on how the ngine is mounted.......... I have the Weber/Edelbrock Carb and the inlet... BUT.....

On my V8 I would have had to use an airfilter approx 1.5" thick to clear the bonnet, hence the bonnet scoop on My V8

East Midlands area Rep. email opel2000@ntlworld.com

Shiny bits http://www.customsolutions.me.uk

• 1 month later...

I got a few jobs done recently and thankfully overcame the problem I had where the later type chrome rocker covers wouldn't clear the inlet manifold, and caused the throttle linkage to jam. Simple, got some special order mega thin gaskets and bolted the left bank one on mega hard. I've also got some re-useable rubber gaskets which'll come in handy if I eventually go for a Weber 600cfm and different inlet. The current inlet manifold kept oxidising and no amount of scrubbing and polishing was helping so inevitably I had to paint it as below.

V8ver2.jpg

I also bought a stainless coil cover and clamp from ratsport but I don't recommend them as they're 'universal fit' which means they fit everything badly! The clamp is too small but I just managed to squeeze the coil and the piece of tin that covers it in. Not good and I need some better bolts as my cars last owner had used vaying sized locking nuts and bolts everywhere including the coil clamp.

Coil.jpg

As per my other problem of bonnet clearence given the SU carbs and K&N setup, I have opted for an ebay Subaru Impreza bonnet scoop which I'm still waiting on after two weeks! Also off of ebay I bought a leather Opel Sport steering wheel which'll hopefully be along the way soon, although with the exception of my badly fitted rev counter and Clive's custom kick panels, the interior's a long way off!

Next plans are to start fitting several items as they arrive, including the just mentioned wheel and scoop, some more bling from custom solutions and the bottom half of the dash. I need to order a new dizzy cap, rotor arm, breather filters for the rockers and some of that exhaust manifold wrap which'll tidy the bay up a bit more. The alternator I'm going to experiment with some chrome effect paint but will surely end up covering it with the same stuff that's on the inlet. On the opposite side to the alternator there's a remote Oil filter which'll also get either the chrome or silver treatment. I'll also rid the pulleys of their rust and get the silver cans on 'em too.

I'm a bit stuck with what to do with the expansion tank, it's a mucky plastic original (to an SD1) and I would like a steel one as a replacement. The trouble is, the only steel replacements have

threaded caps and I need a pressure cap as the SD1 radiator is sealed. Maybe easier to buy a different radiator instead ?!? I'm also trying to find a place that sells the steel braided hose covers, primarily to disguise the well awful rad top hose, anyone know suppliers? If the top hose looks alright I might try to match it and have all the hoses steel braided.

It may surprise you but I've spent just short of £4000 on this car up to now and I still have seazed up brakes and a w4nked starter motor! What I wouldn't give to get my 1.8S back, for that money I could have had a respray and got every underbonnet part chromed!

Any hints, tips, general advise or ideas are as always very appreciated and definately needed. Thanks, Rick.

id="size4">
id="blue">

Thanks, I would like the samco ones but it would mean making the hoses out of bits and pieces as they're no kits availible for the

Rover SD1 (or Opel Manta that I've seen!) I've the option of buying all the samco 90 degree bends, straight pipe and joiners but they're a bit pricey and it won't look as good as if it were a proper kit designed for the car. I agree, they do look show job brilliant in Calibras, Supras, YB Sierras, etc as they're availiable as direct replacements.

I should have the Subaru bonnet scoop this week, as I've just got a reply to my 'hurry it up' email.

That's a good idea. No I hadn't thought about looking in 4x4 mags although I should really look at 'classic' 4x4 ones as the differences between the later fuel injected and the twin carb V8 land rover engines are surprising since they're basically the same, including the hoses which are all different except the rad bottom hose! Odd eh?

• 2 weeks later...

did you get from a guy in manchester? it rings bells with me

quote:Originally posted by Rick-Manta

Rick's V8 Mantaid="red">id="size5">

1988 Opel Manta Exclusive GTE Coupe

Powered by a rolling road tuned 180BHP SD1 3.6litre V8 with jetted twin SU carburettors, twin K&N induction cones and cold air feed pipes, gas flowed heads (i think?!), unrestricted exhaust and manifolds with a balance pipe and loads more engine features which I'm yet to discover!

3-speed SD1 automatic gearbox with GTE propshaft and differential (not a LSD so a bit scary as are the standardish brakes!) Suspension unknown but it's too low for most speedramps and my drive[:(]. Parked out on the road tonight, it's just been resprayed so I'm staying awake all night to make sure nobody fu#ks with it!

All the exclusive kit plus a fibreglass 400 bonnet, spoiler maybe 400 style, not sure as this is my first coupe! The noise of the engine and fancy exhaust is superb, sounds like a Dodge Charger!

V8pic.jpg

Dispite tax and test and the low and proven 59,000 miles there are still plenty of jobs to do, which as they're done, I'll post up here. I'm desparately seeking a garage for the winter as this will strictly be a show car for Billing and any local ones.

Very regretfully I am selling my 1.8S Hatchback. Any interested parties please check it out in the 'cars for sale' topic area. Proceeds from the sale will go to the V8 as I'm in a bit of debt having bought it!

Photos of the engine bay soon once I've done some cosmetic improvements. Many thanks for reading.

id="size3">id="blue">

id="quote">id="quote">

http://WWW.MANTAMORFIN.COM

on the subject of samco and the like im looking into getting hose's made up again IN ALL COLOURS, if anyone remembers i got a few batches made up for the std manta engine / 16v mantas also rover turbo engine and the cosworth turbo engine in my manta (B) . pictures can be seen on mantamorfin.com

quote:Originally posted by GARY

on the subject of samco and the like im looking into getting hose's made up again IN ALL COLOURS,

id="quote">id="quote">

I emailed you asking bout prices on them, but dunno if you got it. So, ummm, got any prices on a set? [;)]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMOC #5988

hmackay at opel-manta.com

sigpic.JPG

I hae a few guid reasons for drinkin’

And yin juist entered ma heid

If a man canna’ drink while he’s livin’

Hoo the Hell can he drink when he’s deid!

no prices yet, still doing leg work if i can get a deal as last time the std manta pipes were i think about 65 per set and i was looking at getting a quote for the 16v install too.

i will also be doing v8 into manta as my own will need doing. really any engine into any shell is possible as long as i have a pattern that fits your motor needs.

while im on the subject of motor needs (I WANT A GARAGE) sorry i needed to get that out of my system.

quote:Originally posted by GARY

did you get from a guy in manchester? it rings bells with me

id="quote">id="quote">

Aye, I did! He trailored it down to Oxford for me (for a cost). Given that it broke down on my first drive in it, the rusty engine bay and all the corner cutting with the conversion I do feel that I've been ripped off! It's coming along much better now but it's been really costly.

'Cor, if you can get samco hoses made to spec, I'll have a set for mine! Also would have a set for the Manta 1.8s and GTE for future use!

A quick note on the V8

I tried to fit my recently purchased subaru impreza bonnet scoop today and it looks absolutely f**king absurd! So I've not only wasted a load of cash on this scoop, I've also got to find a more suitable one [:(] may have to make my own but that'll obviously look sh1t! Just to make things more difficult, the Opel Sport steering wheel I also bought recently, has a different boss than the original which I'll never be able to change. If anyone has a nice condition exclusive wheel and wants to swap for a full leather opel sport wheel and boss please drop me a line!

id="size4">
id="blue">

quote:Originally posted by Devil Fish

You could try photoshopping (if you have it) various scoops onto a piccy of your car...should give you a reasonable idea of what they'll look like.

id="quote">id="quote">

Good advise, I did a very similar thing (only in paintshop pro) and the trouble is they look really good in the pics, just awful in life. I think the problem is the pics of the scoops and vents on ebay and motorsport websites aren't really representative of the actual product. I bought a couple of fake astra vxr ones from halfords today and they look best so far but not good enough. I'll have a crack at making my own as I've got some sheet steel going spare ([:(]uh oh!), it'll be rubbish but at least to spec.

I should have an irmscher steering wheel soon, brand new too so I'm well looking forward to it! Another step forward [^]

quote:Originally posted by Rick-Manta

id="quote">id="quote">

Good advise, I did a very similar thing (only in paintshop pro) and the trouble is they look really good in the pics, just awful in life. I think the problem is the pics of the scoops and vents on ebay and motorsport websites aren't really representative of the actual product. I bought a couple of fake astra vxr ones from halfords today and they look best so far but not good enough. I'll have a crack at making my own as I've got some sheet steel going spare ([:(]uh oh!), it'll be rubbish but at least to spec.

I should have an irmscher steering wheel soon, brand new too so I'm well looking forward to it! Another step forward [^]

id="quote">id="quote">

maybe Clive can recreate the scoop from his V8 ? bloody brilliant that was/is

OMOC 5885

1800 Hatch Daily Driver

GTE Exclusive Coupe SORN'd

Gosh thanks Pete.[8D]

Best way to make a bonnet scoop for a Manta is from a piece of old Manta bonnet.

That way it follows the curve right and will have the centre swage line too.

I used the bonnet off of the original car, which was covered in dents apart from the area that I needed to cut out.

And fitted it to possibly one of the best Manta bonnets I'd ever had.

Stood there for approx 45 mins before I dare let the angle grinder rip into the good bonnet.

BTW Rick, I now have new guillotine be prepared for a bling delivery mate. [;)][;)][;)]

OMG![:0][:0]

Rick For God's sake man you should have given me a call.

Firstly, sorry for not seeing this in the past, not really been on the forum that much recently.

Radiator tank.

I assume you could get by with an expansion tank, basically this works like a syphon, it throws hot expanded water in and then simply draws it back out when cooler, all you need for this is an outlet on your radiator.

Rick, as a good customer, I could give you an excellent discount on one of these especially as I know someone else who could well do with one too and I would do a batch at once

Starter motor.....

Keep an eye out on Ebay, there are these tiny small Hi-Torque gear reduction starter motors that crop up quite cheap. I bought mine from Rimmer Bros for £175.00 now that was a lot but time was against me.

Bonnet scoop.....

to make one similar to the one i had on mine is not easy, but can be done a lot easier than the route i took, see post above, but I would stand it off of the bonnet on pillars fastened to the bonnet and wleded to the top of the scoop and build up the sides with steel and possibly Sikaflex as welding the scoop to the bonnet simply caused too much distortion and too much labour to get it all right.

At the end of the day rick see this as your project and not as a car you bought already done.

With that in mind simply do what needs doing and tackle it all methodically and above all do not rush into things, as rushing into things will end up with either crap results or needing to do them again or both.

There is only one thing better than driving a V8 Manta, and that is lifting the bonnet of a V8 Manta where the whole bay is absolutely stunning.

It takes time, effort and if you're not the owner of Custom Solutions it will take a bit o' cash too.

If you require any assistance whatsoever Rick please do not hesitate to call, would simply hate to see you lose interest in what I can see as being an awesome car that you are going to really enjoy driving and showing.

quote:Originally posted by Mick

Nice looking car there, the rear spoiler looks to be the standard Exclusive one, if its got a gap below it and its squishy it is, if its solid with no gap then its a 400 type..[:)]

Mick

OMOC 5924

smsp_65.gif

1980 Black Berlinetta Coupe

1980 Red Mk1 Cavalier

1981 Ascona On the way soon

id="quote">id="quote">

no no no. Thats just a fibreglass one without the gap. There was indeed (as clive says) 2 types of Irmscher 3-piece spoiler. The one on my i200 was most definitely different to a normal exlusive one. Thinner side pieces, and more of a thin, kicked-up lip around it rather than the more rounded exlusive one. More prone to sagging though, which is probably why they changed it.

Callum.

1980 GT/J 2.0 SEH Road Car (soon to be 16V)

1978 Berlinetta 16V Rally car Project.

You may have already seen this in the 'most vile accessory' topic, but I couldn't resist adding it here. The 'scooby scoop'...

scoop2.jpg

scoop1.jpg

scoop3.jpg

By the by, I should have an impressive steel coolant tank to replace that p1ss yellow plastic thing at a later date. Also, some white dash dials which'll look the nuts on a white exclusive! Feeling lots happier recently with the way the Manta's going, dispite the jammed starter motor and brakes, I've got a tonne of beautifying parts on their way, having spoken to a couple of people I now have some new ideas and also I gave the car a good scrub up and a mild cut back today. That always puts a bit of pride back! [:D]

banner.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/rick_manta

i didn't think it'd look that bad but from that pic it's not quite right is it

think it would be better installed properly - flushed into the bonnet and with the holes cut out

i used a bonnet vent off an old supra (i think it was, or maybe a celica) that i found in the scrap yard. that didn't look too bad (on a 400 bonnet like yours)

the reverse scoop (cowl induction scoop) such as on the Z28 camaros would suit the manta, i've always though, but better on a std bonnet

http://up22.com/scoopw1.htm

newsig.jpg

I think that's mainly the problem, since the 400 bonnet already has two small scoops and the front vent! I used to have a supra Mk3 which didn't have a scoop, but I think the celicas of that era did. A lot of the jap style scoops I was looking at were a bit too narrow to reach the width of the SU's given that they're side draught and side by side. Are these reverse cowl induction jobbies the type where some people put performance gauges/clocks in the back? If so, I love 'em but again would only really suit the standard bonnet.

banner.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/rick_manta