Rick's Manta V8 - NEW VIDEO

Mick

Firstly I plugged my manta temp wire onto the Rover sender, and it always showed HOT I mean off the gauge hot.

However the capillary temp sender and autometer gauage showed a sensible reading over the manta gauge, this also matched quite nicely the Oil temp gauge that i had fitted.

The rad I used was a manta rad but it had 3 cores, this seemed absolutely fine to cool the RV8.

I would have thought that your rad would be more than sufficient.

if you are still wary about the cooling, remove the t/stat and drill a 3mm hole close to the edge of it and mount this to the top when refitting to help bleed any air out of the system.

Would also check that you are not running lean too. A quick glance at your plugs should give you some indication.

As for the axle ratio well...... drop a 5 speed manual in there mate, that's all i can suggest.

Shiny bits http://www.customsolutions.me.uk

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other thing to check for if running hot is headgasket failure. I'm probably teaching you to suck eggs but make sure it isn't using up the water in the rad and check to see if the oil looks creamy. If it does you've most probably got a knackered head gasket.

Thanks very much all. I've had enough voltage regulator failures on previous mantas to recognise that as a fault and in this case it's fine, as are the gauge/sender readings as this (unlike most of the other bits on the car) was thought of when built. The engine really is physically too hot, I won't get it to the point of being on red as I don't want to blow the head gaskets or crack the block but it's definatly bringing to the boil. Head gaskets (at present anyway) are okay, as is the air/fuel mix (carbs were recently set-up). Generally speaking, the engine is running very well, starts first click now and will drive smoothly cold or warm, it's the cooling that's going to cause me problems getting to Billing and other shows, which is what I bought the heap for. Thanks again for the advise, I'll hopefully get it all fathomed over the next weekend or two.

As for the daft gearing, trying to cruise at speed is a pain, but the 0-60 is a great laugh [:D] The box is staying but next time I buy a modded manta I'll make sure I get some advise from people 'in the know' first ie. you guys [;)]

banner.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/rick_manta

Rad should EASILY and I mean EASILY cool the Rover V8 in the Manta bay.

Loads of air flow, two cooling fans, this should not be cause any problem for you whatsoever.

Fuelling fine, so no problem there.

Only thing left is wrong temp reading or cooling system not bled very well.

If not already fitted, I would fit a aftermarket temp gauge (have done so many times in the past and they are an absolute godsend to put your mind at rest) and would recommend jacking the front of the car up DEAD HIGH and draining and re-filling the cooling system.

When refilling make sure you have a hole drilled in the top of the T/stat and that you fill nice and slow, would also recommend taking out the temp sensor on the inlet when re-filling until it starts overflowing out of the inlet manifold, just to ensure removal of air pockets/traps and easier refilling.

Shiny bits http://www.customsolutions.me.uk

quote:Originally posted by opel2000

If not already fitted, I would fit a aftermarket temp gauge (have done so many times in the past and they are an absolute godsend to put your mind at rest)

id="quote">id="quote">

I have got one but haven't wired it up for lack of a second sender point (ie I wanted it working with the manta's own gauge) Though just to see if there is a different reading I'll swap the sender with the one supplied with the gauge. That'll also be a good time to try to bleed the system again with the sender out as you suggest. I've also got an oil temp gauge but again, it ain't plumbed up as where the fook do I fit the sender?!

Since the car is heater-less there is little point in having the thermostat in at all and it'll take longer to warm up which'll let me get a little further before having to pull over. So this weekend it's out!

Thanks again for the help.[:)]

banner.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just been dodging in and out from the on and off rain showers[:(] Thankfully the interior I've pretty much done during the rain. New irmscher wheel I'm particulary pleased with

interior.jpg

I also ripped out the parcel shelf speakers (which were knacked) and recut some nice sporty blue carpet to replace the grubby and holey original. You'll also see in the pics that I took everyones previous advise and painted the drums black (when the rain momentarily paused).

exterior.jpg

Assuming Billing isn't a complete abortion, come and have a poke around the car as I'll be there Saturday morning so see you there.

banner.jpg

Whey hey! It made it to Billing and even with the difficulty of the major Silverstone diversions!...........

The event was good thanks to the weather turning out for the better. I'll get some piccies up later once I've uploading them all, plus I'll get the final shots of this cars engine bay so I can put this project topic to bed and start my new b-series V8 later.

............the fukker did brake down on my way back however [:(] I kid you not, every warning light was on oil press, brake warning, temp, voltage and my fuel gauge was on near empty. Thankfully a lot of the gauges were reading low as the voltage dropped to nothing as the alternator wiring failed. With the fans now off and the temp in the red I had to pull over at a total garage in Middleton Cheney only 25ish miles from home. The battery was dead and the camshaft had seized due to the over heating. The RAC was called for and luckily for me got the wiring half sorted (advised me to re-wire and check what's going where later) with the alternator output at 10 volts, it was enough for the fans to be on and I got home longer than expected as I had to avoid the M40 due to the Silverstone gridlock. I also managed some video footage of the trip (given it some revs on the a and b roads) which I'll also get uploaded once I've edited it properly.

banner.jpg