My rust free Manta

Hi I'm fairly new to the club, although I had a GT/J about 14 years back. I bought my GTE in March and have just started work on it. It was advertised "rust free" but as is always the way ..... TBH its not as bad as some I've seen on here so I must count my blessings. Anyway heres the photos any words of encouragement will be gratefully received[:)]

CopyofCopyofDSCF00072_resize.jpg

Just as I bought it

CopyofDSCF0019_resize.jpg

CopyofDSCF0018_resize.jpg

Some rust...

CopyofDSCF0028_resize.jpg

CopyofDSCF0027_resize.jpg

Floors / sills not too bad

CopyofDSCF0007_resize.jpg

The inner wing so far.

The sills, roof and back end (bar the bottom of the rear of the rear arches) are all pretty solid. The front end has suffered quite badly, Its an 88 which I believe rot the quickest. After the weldathon I've got new shocks, springs and clutch to fit and with a respray I hope to have a fairly decent car. It's only done 51000 and is very original including working digital coded stereo.

I should have known better....

That is in very good nick in comparison to other cars i have seen, the rust has started to get in a few places but you have done well to catch it now, the treated parts look like they have cleaned up well, best of luck with it, you will have a lovely car when done.

[8D]

----- Pandra vynn'ta dh'y eva?-----

yup thats a good one, mine was advertised as immaculate[:0], I'm almost 1 year into restoration now[:(]. I am being a wee bit fussy tho. As paul says now is the best time to catch the rust, treat it right now and it'll last quite a few years befor you need to work at it again.[^]

If what I say can be taken in 2 ways and one of those ways get you angry....I meant it the other way

For a late Exclusive that is a good'un.

Yes there was plenty of rust visably but little in the way of rot holes,its when you take a wire brush to rust and the car dissappears that your heart sinks!

In Manta terms,relativly it wont be long before you have a Manta you can be proud of.stick at it,believe me it will be worth it.

I've got piles of all sorts of Manta parts,i might even have something you need!

surplus parts bought,whole cars considerd. M/B 07947 640505

OMOC Member number 2658F

Ian Virco,area rep,Beds Herts and North Bucks.

Thanks for the encouragement you need it as the winter nights draw in and you have to work outside! [:D] There were plenty of holes once I hit it with the knotted wire brush on the grinder, virtually evey grey line of seam sealer is a weld bead! I got a replacement wing rail from Hadrian panels - it lines up great but the holes are a mile off, I wish they'd left them for the fitter to drill. The worst part was cutting out some old MOT repairs [:(!] They were just awful. Patches over rusty metal, the wheel arch to bottom of A post panel was the worst. The passenger side isn't as bad, which I find kind of weird, but moaning about not having rust isn't healthy[:)]

If anyones interested heres the washer bottle tray.

CopyofDSCF0026_resize.jpg

CopyofDSCF0005_resize.jpg

On the subject of getting some money back from the seller, I have to admit that I bought it off ebay in a rush without viewing [:o)]. The new car itch had got me and the Manta nostalgia rush pushed me over the edge. TBH I very nearly walked away when I saw it. Only the fact that it started straight away, has a rust free roof and fairly decent trim (and a 100% ebay feedback record) allowed me to release my grip on the hard earned. Oh that and dragging the missus & kids 60 miles each way with me (in case I didnt want it[?]). I really couldn't face telling her I'd bought "another" quick restoration project or that the trip was wasted and kept smiling at her as I got in to it drive home. all in all I've probably got off lightly this time[;)].

Well that GT/E looks especially solid and you look to know what your doing so I'd be well happy if I were you.

Just a shame you've got a nasty red fiat thing following you around though heh heh heh.

-yes I know the badge says Alfa Romeo but it's FWD and has a Fiat derived engine so that makes it a Fiat in my book.

OMOC 5885

Rust free and Manta in the same advert??? Unless he's selling a plastic manta part thats a lie...[:D][:D]

Looks pretty good though to be honest, I'm beginning to like the look of the Hatch again, was always Coupes before...

If you have caught it now and sorted it, get the waxoyl in the chassis and door posts, be good for years to come...Be good to see it back in one lump all ready fr driving without the danger of falling apart![:D]

Mick

OMOC 5924

DSCI0619.jpg

1980 Black Berlinetta Coupe FOR SALE (NEEDS WORK)

1981 Manta B just as Adam intended

1981 Ascona in need of modding...lots!

"Rust free" means you pay for the Manta and get the rust free.

I thought everyone knew that....[:o)]

Toni, your car looked great underneath when we went to see it last year, so don't panic, but to make sure it stays like that, if I were you, I'd buy some "Dynax S50" (in the spray cans) from here:

http://www.bilthamber.com

Sorry folks, but Waxoyl is rubbish by comparison. Having tried the BH stuff, I'd never consider using Waxoyl again. It dries out and cracks, won't penetrate seams properly and lifts off when it gets older and lets water in underneath.

I've not tried Dinitrol, but I believe that's the Swedish stuff mentioned in the BH comparison tests, so make your own minds up.

Cheers,

Joe. Stuck up, but paid up.

Please remember to log in to this site from the home page. It helps it to be first on the list when you type in 'Manta' in search engines, and there's some good stuff on there too.

Damn, I'm getting more predictable as I get older.[8D]

Actually, as Mark has mentioned them, a set of liners would be an investment for that car:

http://www.ruhrarea.de/innenkotfluegel

http://www.ruhrarea.de/innenkotfluegel/eingebaut.html

I've just read your note Pete. If you got the same ones I did, there's no way they could fall out. I wonder if he's changed the design or something? I'd contact him and ask.

Cheers,

Joe. Stuck up but paid up.

Please remember to log in to this site from the home page. It helps it to be first on the list when you type in 'Manta' in search engines, and there's some good stuff on there too.

Well I've refitted them, trimmed a couple of edges along the extrme bottom and used some of the screws at the top, near to the shock top mount. Noway they're coming out now.

Um, I hope.

OMOC 5885

quote:Damn, I'm getting more predictable as I get older.

id="quote">id="quote">

yeah, but you're getting funnier too:

quote:Cheers,

Joe. Stuck up but paid up.

id="quote">id="quote">

love it, just love it[:D].

If what I say can be taken in 2 ways and one of those ways get you angry....I meant it the other way

Hey Pete the fiat wheel arch liners are in fettle.[;)] I suppose if your going to make life difficult with a rusty manta, you may as well go the whole hog and have an Italian car as well that's just plain awkward and downright absurd to work on. Makes the Manta look like childs play. [:)]

Joe had alook at the wheel arch liners, but my German is pretty poor. How much are they?

• 2 months later...

Here's a progress update. Trying to weld between between downpours is an absolute nightmare[:(!] I'm lucky not to have been electrocuted several times in the past few weeks[:)]. When will all this rain end? Cold I don't mind but cold and damp... well least said the better.

Anyway I've completed the welding to the nearside front [:D]. Its not been to bad really the wing mounting rail has been renewed and the A-post area needed plenty of work as did the corner of the front valance. The chassis rail wasn't too bad just a couple of small holes that I cut the rust out of and replaced with a two pieces of steel seam welded and plug welded together. Which I hope will suffice. The real disaster was my Dog escaping past me through an open garage door while I was Ear muffed up and grinding. It then got hold of a neighbours Dog, which she chewed up a touch and ended up costing me £550 in vets fees to put right[:(!]. To make matters worse, the neighbouurs a social worker who gave me a lecture about my Dog "having issues". She's not normally aggressive but she got bit herself last year to the tune of £300 which I copped for as well[:(]. Try explaining to the missus why the cheap [;)] welding phase of the resto has just cost a small fortune!

CopyofDSCF0020_resize.jpg

CopyofDSCF0008_resize.jpg

CopyofDSCF0006_2_resize.jpg

CopyofDSCF0009_resize.jpg

OMOC 5983

quote:Originally posted by MonacoManta

Joe had alook at the wheel arch liners, but my German is pretty poor. How much are they?

id="quote">id="quote">

Sorry didn't notice this before. I've got the same Manta arch liners as Joe. Took a little bit of effort but they fit quite nicely. The fella who sells them has good English and keeps in contact to let you know on progress etc.

quote:

To: "pete mather"

Subject: Re: Wheel Arch Liners

Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 20:38:10 +0200

Hi Pete,

thank you very much for your inquiry! Stop the rust for your youngtimer Manta,

otherwise "he" will be sad!!!

In the past I sold a lot of mudguards for Opel Manta, Vaxhall Astra, Kadett and

other classic cars in Germany, Netherlands, Belgium and also to USA! I do sell them

since nearly 10 years, on some Opel/Vauxhall meetings also to my british friends!

The mudgards are available for your classic Manta!!!

2 pcs. of mudgards, plastic version, 100% excact size EUR 120,-

additional transport cost (appr. EUR 40,-)

and also Bank cost (pls.ask you bank, thank it is appr. EUR 15,-)

delivery time: appr. 2 weeks ( I have them in my stock!)

payment in advance, Order-Acknowledgement will come in 2 - 3 days after payment

I´m happy if you give me an order, Bank-code can be send by me if you are interest! (give

me pls. a e.-mail)

For further questions don´t hesitate to contact me, I hope you understand my written english

language,

Kind regards and hope to hear from you, if you like you can visit my german language

homepage, but with a lot of pictures from the wheel arch liners! http://www.ruhrarea.de/innenkotfluegel

Bernd

email: bbannier at arcor.de

Internet: http://www.ruhrarea.de/innenkotfluegel

OMOC 5885

Hope for the best, expect the worst.

How to post Images

I'm sorry too. I missed your question back in October. Mine cost £115 delivered in early 2005.

If you right click on Bernd's pages, there's a 'Translate Page into English' option in Windows XP.

Cheers,

Joe.

Please log in to the Forum from the home page folks. It helps to keep the site at the top of Google.

Originally posted by MonacoManta

The real disaster was my Dog escaping past me through an open garage door while I was Ear muffed up and grinding. It then got hold of a neighbours Dog, which she chewed up a touch and ended up costing me £550 in vets fees to put right[:(!]. To make matters worse, the neighbouurs a social worker who gave me a lecture about my Dog "having issues". She's not normally aggressive but she got bit herself last year to the tune of £300 which I copped for as well

who's not normally aggressive your dog or your neighbour? [:D]

OMOC 5876 Nottingham (Duck)

How many sleeps?

Cheers Joe / Pete. I will certainly give them some thought once the weldings finiished. I've got to clean up all the suspension first as well asfit new shocks, ball joints and a set of Spax springs I've got.

I mean't the Dog Toni [:D] but the neighbour... [;)]

Here's the reason why this cars costing so much!

cam1013_resize.jpg

OMOC 5983