My GT/E Hatch project......

Devil Fish

Hi it's a long while after the event, but I thought I'd post some pics of the work done to get my White GTE Hatchback on the road (was done in 2004). I've still the rear arches, lower quarters and valance to sort (it lived in eastborne by the sea!):

As the car was picked up from standing 4 years in someones back garden in Warwickshire...... Happy Dad and Son:

CopyofDSCN1019.jpg

DSCN1023.jpg

DSCN1026.jpg

Now the rusty bits :

CopyofDSCN1016.jpg

DSCN1181.jpg

DSCN1179.jpg

DSCN1178.jpg

DSCN1171.jpg

DSCN1169.jpg

And now the repairs...

DSCN1214.jpg

DSCN1215.jpg

DSCN1216.jpg

DSCN1217.jpg

DSCN1310.jpg

DSCN1311.jpg

DSCN1314.jpg

Here she was at Billing this year engine bay a little cleaner! :

DSCN3628.jpg

I still have the rear of the car to sort, so this will be tackled sometime before Billing '07 hopefully......

But now I have my hands really full as I'm just about to aquire a 1970 Commodore GSE Coupe as well :

69_1.jpg

89_1.jpg

And could end up looking somethng like this :

minalmore5medium.jpg

Old Mantas never die, they just get faster !

Cheers,

Simon.

Well done, good job, I know exactly how it feels rust, rust and more rust[:(]. Its like a mountain, but eventually you get to the top [:)]

I should have known better....

Nice to see this one made it back on the road.On the day you bought it i was about to leave to borrow a trailer to go and buy this one the next day.When i got a phone call to say it was sold[:(].Fair play looks good.[:D]

17180743241d04a47b01e3.gif

So thats what the Commodore looks like, a certain Mr V told me you'd been on ebay and got too tempted!

Quite liking that and glad to see you've still got the white GTE.

minalmore5medium.jpg

This quite looks like one of these from the side

lg_C18.jpeg

Sills?, what are those bits of rust laying on the floor then?

BOJ, Jodie, Chicken$h!t

Spares, Racer in waiting, GONE! [:(]

Now known as JC (Jesus Christ) Thanks to Big John for that one

1148113674346.gif

The wheels are similar (in as much as they both have 5 spoke with triangular spokes) and there are quater windows on the doors.......

So like 2 peas from a pod [:P]

I like the look of the commodore, that could be very cool [:D]

minalmore5medium.jpg

It does remind me of the lines of old yank muscle cars but i can't find one that has all the same lines.

But if you painted it bright orange with '01' on the side and a flag on the roof it could look like this

dodge-charger-general-lee.jpg

[:D][:I][:P]

http://www.mantasport.co.uk

OMOC no:3325

I have studied this car carefuly (well it did spend several hours bouncing up and down on the back of my Bedford flatbed!) and have concluded the following -

The front half is very like an early Rekord (Reckord B?)

The rear half is very like a Manta A

SO ITS A CUT AND SHUT! actually this is one COOOOOOOOOL Car,when you can wind down the door window and quarter light to leave an open side!

Its well scruffy but solid and all there,so its more a case of hard graft than mission impossible,now about the 3.0L 24V idea.....

I've got piles of all sorts of Manta parts,i might even have something you need!

surplus parts bought,whole cars considerd. M/B 07947 640505

OMOC Member number 2658F

Ian Virco,area rep,Beds Herts and North Bucks.

Well, the front end would be like an early Rekord, seeing as Rekords and Commodores shared the same bodyshell! (there was also a Rekord Coupe). I'd love one of those, maybe if I can stop buying Mantas I might one day get one.

omoc 5660,Cambridge & The Fens Area Rep.

"Well I turn on the radio, but I don't like what they play"

Well I'm just packing to go off on Hols.... thanks for the comments on the Manta.... much appreciated.... and a very BIG THANKYOU to MANTAMAN (Ian V.) for allowing me to use his pickup and his whole day off this last wednesday to collect the car!

But now that I have got the Commodore Coupe I've basically got a load a graft to get it sorted... I spent yesterday cleaning the interior, windows and WD40'd the Bores/Pistons so they can soak a bit whilst I'm away. So Now I've a shopping list including fabrication and welding patch panel sections and some sill plates (rest of underside is rock solid & doors are excellent). Rechroming bumpers and overiders. I have even found out the the Bosch Fuel injection (D-type) is the first of it's type fitted to production cars.

A Question for all of you out there.... what does 'S' and 'L' mean on an Auto Box shifter.... the cars got them but I don't know what this means?

One last little piece of information is that the Commodore was built in Switzerland.

Here's some Pics:

P1010135.jpg

P1010136.jpg

P1010132.jpg

Hope you like... I couldn't move the car on my own (it's too heavy) otherwise I would've cleaned the front also... will post an update just as soon as.

Happy Mantering... or should that be Commodoring [;)]

Cheers,

Simon.

1987 2.0 GTE Hatchback

1970 Opel Commodore Coupe

Old Mantas never die, they just get faster !

quote:

And Mantaman I take it you have a Bedford flat bed recovery truck then, would have thoought you would have mentioned that before now

id="quote">id="quote">

Clive,Did you actually read the last issue of Manta Magic? or did you just sit there with a grin like the Cheshire Cat looking at the car of the show? not only did i mention the Bedford Flatbed there is even a photo of it!

Simon,the Commodor does look better now its clean,as for auto boxes the positions generally go from front to rear, park-reverse-nuetral-drive-second-first

When i said the front half looked like an early Rekord perhaps i've got my early Opels mixed up,i was thinking about one of the smaller models,perhaps it was an early Kadett

I've got piles of all sorts of Manta parts,i might even have something you need!

surplus parts bought,whole cars considerd. M/B 07947 640505

OMOC Member number 2658F

Ian Virco,area rep,Beds Herts and North Bucks.

Pete, I take it you mean the welds on the replacement metal that stoneymanta has put in?

If so the welds look good nicely rounded well penetrated welds, as in the MIG wire from the arc has formed a nice pool and penetrated both sides of the metal being welded together.

What you don't want to be seeing is where it looks like bird sh1t just sitting on top of the metal, what Stoneymanta has done looks as though he has a good bit of welding kit. Or just good at welding.

quote:Originally posted by opel2000

Pete, I take it you mean the welds on the replacement metal that stoneymanta has put in?

If so the welds look good nicely rounded well penetrated welds, as in the MIG wire from the arc has formed a nice pool and penetrated both sides of the metal being welded together.

What you don't want to be seeing is where it looks like bird sh1t just sitting on top of the metal, what Stoneymanta has done looks as though he has a good bit of welding kit. Or just good at welding.

id="quote">id="quote">

Could they be ground down to create a more unifrom appearance or would that remove too much strength from the weld ? I've been reading my Haynes welding manual so bring on the jargon. [8D]

OMOC 5885

How to post Images