My project

Devil Fish

Hey Steve it wasn't your dad who knocked on my door the other day was it and asked if my Manta was for sale, there was two blokes in i think it was a peugoet estate or something simalar. I did politely say no it wasn't.

3494%3A%3C884%7Ffp37%3B%3Evq%3D32%3A8%3E764%3E%3B%3A%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D32355%3B%3B%3B53459vq0mrj Midasmesh giving it rear wheel action in the Staffordshire Moorlands. OMOC 5285

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nahh mate it wasnt my dad, even though he loves mantas. The last one he looked at was about 9 years ago and that one still was too rotten for him.

But anyhoo, me and my dad put the 1800 engine in the reg GT on sunday afternoon and ive been up to the farm today to bolt the gearbox up and fit the prop. Slowly slowly catchy monkey!

SP_A0149.jpg

SP_A0150.jpg

Definately! I'l get it put through MOT when its up and running. There isnt as much worked needed as it looks. The engine is a runner and the rest of the body seems in 1 piece. Just need to source a loom and fit it, the rest is just conecting pipes etc. [8D]

I bought a complete 1.8 loom off some guy in Tunstall saturday evening. Ive made a start fitting it today! Most the front end bits conected up, just need to run the back end in and tidy it all up!

Thats 1 step closer anyway.

[:D]

Short update, 70% of the loom is all connected up. Just got to run the ford anglia end to the back and test it! Oh and need to get the 2 litre fuel tank off as ive found out its no good for a 1.8 on carbs.

Soon to be getting rid of the exclusive.

• 3 weeks later...

Another update.

Got the engine running today!!!!!!!!! Took a while for me to understand why the engine wouldnt turn over much, untill my brother spotted there was no earth cable from the engine to the body. So i bodged a tractor earth cable onto the block and chassis and it ran like a dream. That was probably why the exclusive never ran properly as i never noticed an earth on that one.

Just need to time it up, get rid of the exhaust leak and connect a 1.8 fuel tank up!

------------

Drift on!!!!

Should be able to a straight swap with someone for the fuel tank as the injection ones are harder to source. Although I'm not sure why you can't use the injection tank? My V8 is carbed and I'm using the GTE tank with one of the fuel lines blanked off. Mind you it'll be a good idea to get a good 1.8 tank anyway and completely rust treat it whilst it's off, plus you can see any nasties in the underside of the boot floor! By the sound of things this GT sounds pretty solid anyway. Keep up the good work [;)].

banner.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/rick_manta

I have a tank on the exclusive. When i bought the car it had just run out of its 6 year warrenty as it had been replaced. It will need cleaning and checking first and just incase its fubar im on the look out for another (the guy i had the loom off has a good'en)

The reason i dont want to use the 2 litre tank is that reason. It has a fuel return which the 1.8 doesnt need. I think its safer to have the proper tank. [:D]

------------

Drift on!!!!

'Safer' Oh no! Now I'm worried about mine [:o)] Still maybe worth holding on to or advertising the injection tank even if it needs repairs as I'm sure there were quite a few people after one at some recent point.

Keep us posted mate, that's going to be a great 1.8 GT [:D]

banner.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Right then! Ive been badgering away at the manta at ever spare hour i get. The back seats and seatbelts are in, so to are the inside rear quarter plastic panels. The underside of the dash is in and so is the centre console.

most engine bits are in too! Timing cover, fan housing etc etc. I just need to sort the flippin clutch out. Anyone done an 1800 clutch? Before, i had no pedal. Then something seamed to "snap" into place and i had a clutch! Now its back to starters again and the pedal is right at the bottom. [:(]

Anyways, some piccies!

SP_A0180.jpg

SP_A0181.jpg

Me and dave (my mate) got the old profesional cutting compound and mop out and had a look what the paint was like under the layers of dust, 2 pack tractor paint and general dirt. To say it wont be getting a full respray just about sums it up. Its like new, apart from places like the bumpers and some scratches here and there!

------------

Drift on!!!!

I tell you what Steve that front spoiler could be a right pain in the backside going round Leek, i know i hate driving my Manta round Leek i have to go a right round about way to avoid all the speed bumps.

3494%3A%3C884%7Ffp37%3B%3Evq%3D32%3A8%3E764%3E%3B%3A%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D32355%3B%3B%3B53459vq0mrj Midasmesh giving it rear wheel action in the Staffordshire Moorlands. OMOC 5285

Yes that could be a added problem Steve 35mm lower Hmmm. Hey but at least if you do have a problem with it Rick has already offerd to take it off your hands the spoiler that is.

• 2 weeks later...

That's come up well and I think red is the best colour to mop back.

(However the front splitter is letting it down a bit, so best remove it and flog it to me [:D]) You shouldn't worry about the cost of the polishing foams as it's either that or a respray which will be much dearer. Looking good mate!

banner.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE

Well, after realising which bollock i dropped putting the clutch in, i have now managed to get the car moving!!!! Yes thats right. Not only does she run like a dream, she drives too!

However, I fear that the gearbox has got to come out YET again. I think that the screw-in adjuster on the (non acessable) side of the gear box needs to be adjusted....but..... when i had the box out saturday afternoon I tryed to adjust it but its seized in the bellhousing. The clutch its self it right on the end of adjustment (new clutch) and still only just releases enough to engage a gear. [V]

Does anyone know how to get at that seized adjuster with the box in, or have i got to wait another 4weeks to get the car in the air to remove the box?

------------

Drift on!!!!

OMOC 6081