Rotten Manta Sunroof

Quarter-Life-Crisis

Well this topic is about a project on the car rather than the whole car being a project as such.

The project in question is tackling the the caveman design of the manta sunroof. A complete failure on nearly every level. Ford must have sent one of there design guys to Opel in disguise on a saboteur mission.

Any way - been to the scrappy this afternoon and removed a glass pop up sunroof from a Renault Clio (cost £24). All Renault did was cut a whole in the roof and plop the sunroof in. No lips to worry about nothing. The size of hole required for the Clio sunroof is 513mm X 833mm which enables the old sunroof to be removed and allows 90mm of rot behind the sunroof to be cut out.

Making up the headlining is a close call but it should be possible to make it look good inside.

It has two drain tubes at the front and is removed from the car by moving the headlining to one side and taking out 14 x 10mm bolts. Even the handle is the same grey colour as the headlining.

The glass also lifts out completely so although it not retractable it is removable.

Pictures coming in the following weeks.

I was inspired by the Westabo sunroof i saw on Stradacabs silver GTE but being on a budget thought this may be an idea for people like me with a problem but limited funds. Id like to hear of any other solutions people have come up with that also look good on the inside as well as the outside.

Well thanks for the name-check :thumbup

Glad you've been "inspired", I've had loads of ideas off this forum over the years and that's some of what it's here for.

Good luck with it, my only suggestion would be to extend the drain tubes and run them out of the bottom of the sills to prevent rust.

Please keep us updated and good luck!

Its a factory renault sunroof. Not electric and NOT with a winder handle, although they may well work also.

Not really up with clio models but it must be around the 2000-2005 model. The best looking clio.

there's one on ebay a bloke is selling - item no. 290542071426

Also item no. 150577715908 shows it better.

Don't know about sizes until i check but the first of the clio's may have a workable sunroof too. Need to check on an actual car from inside and out really.

Edited by Quarter-Life-Crisis

Well the new sunroof is in and more importantly the caveman Opel sunroof assembly is out.

No real problems i've come across with the minor exception of the broken windscreen.

All that remains to do is:-

Sand off all the surface rust from the underside of the roof where the old sunroof cassette was.

Perhaps introduce an inch box section or flat-bar roof skin support to stop the roof flexing and to attach the headling centre catch to.

Run and attach the front drain channels from the sunroof to somewhere sensible

Stick the headlining back around the edges and fit the door/window seals

Make up a spacer section if necessary to connect the manta headlining to the clio sunroof edge trim

Bond in the top section of the sunroof to the roof to weatherproof it

Draughtstrip the bottom underside of the sunroof and join with the above

Re-fit the new screen and seal to stop water getting in.

Pictures to follow

Crap about the windscreen :( I used a scotch disc pad thingie on a drill and it worked a treat :D I reckon the black tinted glass sunroof looks far, far better than the steel one, and it works a treat on the hatchback, still not sure about, how it would look on a coupe..... Looking forward to the picture's :thumbup

PS Glad its not me refitting the headliner :o:lol:

Be interested to see some pics when you are done as I would like to do this on my hatch too. Just been out and measured up, 9cm extra is about right, will be a huge sunroof when fitted!

Edited by Leon

• 2 weeks later...

Pictures of the new sunroof install.

Just need to glue the headlining back in now and make good round the opening

VIEW FROM THE TOP, ALSO NOTE THE ADDITION OF A NEW AERIEL

mantasunroof001.jpg

AND FROM ANOTHER ANGLE. GOOD PROFILE FIT TO THE MANTA ROOF.

mantasunroof007.jpg

VIEW FROM THE INSIDE BEFORE THE HEADLINING GOES BACK IN. NICE TINTED SHADED GLASS

mantasunroof002.jpg

RUSTY ROOF SANDED DOWN AND PAINTED WITH STANDARD OIL BASED UNDERCOAT.

INCH ANGLE IRON STRENGTHENER IS NEEDED. NOTE TAB TO HOLD HEADLINING IN

mantasunroof003.jpg

NEW SUNROOF DRAINAGE TUBES ON THE RENAULT SUNROOF

mantasunroof004.jpg

DRAINAGE TUBES RE-ROUTED TO EXIT THROUGH THE INNER WHEEL ARCH

mantasunroof013.jpg

OLD ROTTEN SUNROOF CASSETTE

mantasunroof008.jpg

THIS MUCH OF THE ROOF SKIN REMOVED. RUSTY BUBBLY SECTION INCLUDED

mantasunroof009.jpg

Edited by Quarter-Life-Crisis

I know it's a bit late now, but when I did mine I cut the brace off of the factory sunroof cassette rustproofed, repainted and widened the appeture to fit the wider frame. It had to be welded a bit further back too

It seems you have had to make up a part with a profile that you already have- Sorry!

Great install btw :thumbup

Edited by stradacab

Top work on this job that would normally be the death of a Manta.

We need a WIKI on this site for threads like this as it will save countless Mantas in years to come and threads like this will be way down the list in 6 months.

Great mod and epitomizes what this forum is about.

Awesome, cheap and easy fix :thumbup

You Sir deserve a years club membership free :)

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

this is a fantastic idea you have done marvellous work there. i heard of the clio sunroof idea as i too have some minimal rot to deal with and have just got a clio sunroof myself from a mk1 j reg clio. although its not as snazzy as your one (i may have to look for one the same :) ) it is bigger and will do the job well . good coverage of this topic well done ! :thumbup

Superb thread, with some top notch posts.

Can only echo Kev's comments..........

"Top work on this job that would normally be the death of a Manta.

We need a WIKI on this site for threads like this as it will save countless Mantas in years to come and threads like this will be way down the list in 6 months.

Great mod and epitomizes what this forum is about.

Awesome, cheap and easy fix :thumbup "

• 4 years later...

Hi.

This looks like a good fix that I think I'll have a go at doing myself. Got a wee question with regards to the angle that's been fitted for strengthening. I can see where it's been welded at the end. I can't clearly see if it has been tacked on across the middle of the roof. I'm assuming it has been though, or there would probably be potential for it to rattle against the roof.

Cheers 

Davy 

Yeah it's a factory sunroof. It's got blisters behind the aperture and one has become a hole. The clio sunroof would be a good fix for mine since it will get rid of the section of roof that's started to rot.

Cheers 

Davy 

Don't weld it to the roof as it will melt the paint off the outside. You can just use stikaflex or other sealant between the brace and the roof, welding the brace at the sides to the framework.

You can also do it without a brace as the framework for the sunroof once clamped in place stiffens the roof panel very well. Thats what i did last time i fitted a clio roof

This is the outline showing how much the hole is enlarged, great for rust in front or behind the original hole but not much wider.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

And my tuppenyworth. When you remove the factory cassette there is a brace bar across the top. Cut that off the cassette and you have a ready made brace to go back in!

i needed to widen the radiusses (is that a word?) and re weld it about 50 mm back on the cant rails. It was brilliant

lat thing. If you are redeploying the original headliner I needed to sikaflex three hooked brackets where the second or third cross bar hits the cassette so you can correctly hang the headliner back up.

Thanks guys both great words of advice. Glad you brought that to my attention about the paint melting. I would have been kicking myself for doing that. It's so obvious now that it's been pointed out. I may do without or as stradacab mentioned use the bracer from the old unit, dependant of course on it's condition. I had often wondered if the windscreen needed to come out to to remove headlining. I'm assuming as there's mention of a broken windscreen further up the thread that is the case. My headlining could do with replacement. Is original opel material readily available?