79 Sr Coupe Project

droop snoot hp firenza

taken delivery of the manta today, a bit gutted really,

found out  the rattle that was just from cold not when warm in the listing, is a constant rattle from the gearbox or torque converter, sounds like something is lose at certain revs.

i do not no anything about auto boxes, but the guy who delivered the car said it was a broken cracked torque converter, wish he would have said that in the listing,

also he said the interior is mint, and its not. the door cards are thread bare the rear seat is really faded, so a bit gutted,,

also can anyone tell me if there is a knack to starting the mantas fitted with a varejet carb, as the only way i can start it at the moment is full throttle with choke on, it runs fine once started, but difficult to start,

the gearbox does not drive right at all, really jerky when pulling away,

im trying to work out what my best option is with the gearbox issue,

i wanted a manual, but more importantly at the moment it has to be the cheapest option, fit another auto box / torque converter

or change to a manual, it has to be the cheapest option because my wife is going mad.

does anyone no which number is my paint code from my chassis plate, L 500   OR   SS 145   

the car looks to be a burnt a orange / red oxide primer type colour

it is my own fault for not viewing before i bought it, but the guy seemed quite honest, so i can only blame my self

i was just trying to save some money,

also there are manta owners club stickers over the car, has anyone in the club got any history on the car.

Picture2577_zps661cf828.jpg

[url=http://s1333.photobucket.com/user/lukest

Edited by droop snoot hp firenza

It is a problem when you do not view a car, I purchased mine the same as you with not viewing it first, I am afraid as a certain actor in a certain film once said opinions are like A.......s!!  we all have them, look on the positive you have a very nice Manta there and it is a lot better than mine.

Still think you have got value for money.

Top of the rear seat faded? they all do and everyone just lives with that, same thing with the door cards, the interior is still in good condition compared to a lot of old and unrestored cars of this age

the gearbox issue is actually a blessing in disguise. the three speed while OK for trundling to the pub or local car show on a sunday, but quickly becomes a pain on long journeys, the engine buzzing at high revs all the time.

If you are faced with spending money on the gearbox don't bother repairing the three speed unless you must have total originality.

If you want to retain the Auto then the four speed box from Six cylinder Monza or Carlton is the one to go for ( later Carltons have more electrics but still 'do'able' ) this is excatly what i intend to do with my Manta pictured left and my friend Simon modified his Commadore A this way and it transformed the car, able to cruise on motorways at 70mph without 'buzzing' and was over 10mpg better on fuel !!

If you want to go manual then a five speed box has been done many times and is not hard, when changing from auto the mounting bracket at the rear of the box even uses the same mounting points !! i have done this with a MK 1 Cavalier ( essentially the same car ) i used the five speed gearstick and center consol, but it is possible to use a four speed gearstick to keep the interior looking completely original.

Parts might need some searching, i have several five speed boxes and your welcome to one, third peddle and prop shaft etc you might be able to get from a wanted add or people breaking Manta's, you could have your prop made longer but this is expensive.

I stand to be corrected but i think the L500 is the paint code ( signal red ?? ) and the SS145 is probably the trim code.

As for the starting issue's, the varijet carb has not got a good reputation, if you are not worried about total originallity keep a look out for a replacement Weber carb, they come up from time to time and they are simpler and more reliable.

Don't dispair, you have a good Manta, true it does need work but much less than many Manta's that are being restored here. the over all cost will be a lot less than many Manta's ( including mine on the left, which is now in it's second restoration despite looking good when i first bought it 11 years ago !! )

• Like 1

If you decide to stay auto I have one in my A series that works that will be for sale as soon as I get it removed. But before that, check the torque converter nuts (or bolts) where it is held to the flexplate. Should be accessible from the bottom.

Tony

thanks for all your sound advice. i have spent the afternoon polishing and cleaning the car and it looks much nicer now.

im thinking of getting some red dylon, then going over the seat backs with a real watered down mix to get the colour back gradually,

also it has lots of manta owners club stickers on it, hoping someone has some info on the car with it being a club car.

i will jack it up and take a look at the torque converter bolts, hope its something simple.

the 4 speed gearbox sounds great, but i was just thinking of the easiest cheapest option to get me on the road, i really need a second car, as just sold my strada. i can do the body work quick, but im not the best mechanic so the simpler the job the better, i was hoping there would not be much mechanical work to do, im better at body work,

is the a series box the same?

has anyone got a 3 speed auto box, and a torque converter, they want to get rid of 

Picture2575_zps6d23c6c5.jpg

Picture2579_zpsddc9aead.jpg

Picture2580_zps342e1991.jpg

[url=http://s1333.photobucket.com/user/lukestradaabarth/media/Picture2582_zps9aef3783.jpg.html]Picture2582_zps9aef3783.jpg

i may need the pedal box if i can not get a 3 speed,

just jacked it up to have a look under the box and all looks mint, getting happier now,

i have looked underneath the car, no leaks, there is a little plastic inspection cover on the box, i had a quick look in there, but i can not see much through there i could feel what i think is the torque converter but all seams ok,

there is also a tin cover on the back of the box. i will pull that of the weekend, to take a look further.

Im really surprised that there is a mechanical problem because mechanically it all looks great, the oils are clean no leaks looks great, im wondering if someone has tried towing the auto and done some damage to the box,

, im hoping someone has changed there auto to a manual box and have there auto left over, so i could just take my box and torque converter out and fit the new one straight in.

if there is no 3 speeds available i will have to look at the other options that have been mentioned. but i would like to keep it original for now. if possible

Looks like a relatively good early b.

I have an auto box here with torque converter available for a b series, been keeping it for mine but will let it go if will help a fellow member

thanks im hoping someone has a box that is not wanted,

i would not want to buy a box then you may need it latter. thanks for your generous offer, if i get stuck i may have to have yours

Honestly, make me an offer , it's been sat here couple of years, I bought it along with the car, and mine is good, I don't do more than 1k miles a year.

hi im new to the manta seen so do not no what they are worth.. also do you no if the box is ok because it looks quite a big job to fit,

Easiest way of going manual is the 4 speed box (and correct for that car if originality is your bag)

You have the offer of a manual pedal box.

I have a good 4 speed box and prop you can collect for free (think the 4 speed prop is the same as auto so you might be OK)

Clutch

Clutch cable

4 speed console (two a penny)

Speedo cable is the same

You will need a flywheel and spigot bearing (I ain't got any of those sorry)

Or

Have Paul's auto box

Only do any of the above once you have checked the flex plate and torque convertor are OK, you might be able to fix what you have already got!

Easiest way of going manual is the 4 speed box (and correct for that car if originality is your bag)

You have the offer of a manual pedal box.

I have a good 4 speed box and prop you can collect for free (think the 4 speed prop is the same as auto so you might be OK)

Clutch

Clutch cable

4 speed console (two a penny)

Speedo cable is the same

You will need a flywheel and spigot bearing (I ain't got any of those sorry)

Or

Have Paul's auto box

Only do any of the above once you have checked the flex plate and torque convertor are OK, you might be able to fix what you have already got!

thanks for your advice and offers,

how do i check the flex plate and torque converter, what am i looking for, does the gearbox need to come of to check these things, sorry if i sound stupid but never touched an auto box before.

im getting the auto box of Paul sunday

is the auto box heavy because all i have is a set of drive up ramps, could i remove it lying on my back.

i changed a chevette manual gearbox when i was a kid. that was ok

I'm getting the auto box and torque converter of Paul Sunday,
Can I change all this from underneath the car without taking the engine out.
I have never touched an auto box before, so do not no what is the best way.

is it difficult to reset the kick down cable up

I can now get my hands on an engine lift, so if that is the best way to go, i will take the engine out.

will it be better to take the engine out and leave the box in and just change the torque converter, just encase the box is ok, and its just the torque converter at fault.

Thanks I'm really happy with the car now, I was just a bit worried at the time, thinking I may struggle to get a gearbox, but now I have all the options, from everyone, I'm well chuffed, collecting the wing today from evo3000 Jase, collecting box and torque converter from Paul Sunday.

I have ordered 2 sills of ebay today £27 each plus £10 postage,

Got the paint, and the match is pretty good, the paint code is opel 500 flamenco rot, I have got to get my mig welder back as I lent it out to someone, and never got it back, when I get that back I'm ready to go,

So hopefully this week I will have some more photos to add

• Like 2

Jason gave me some mint wings but i will return them to him, as i decided to keep the wings that are on  the car, because apart from the tops they are mint, and the panel gaps are perfect,

so cut the rust out of the wing today, welded a new piece in just started filling, hopefully get it painted in the morning,

Picture2589_zpsd7405885.jpg

Picture2596_zps8447755b.jpg

• Like 2