Bottom End

chevettehsr

hi all

To start with i had a manta 2.0 gte engine in my chevette. everything was fine till one day it started banging like hell. Twas the bottom end shell bearings had failed. I was just about to repair it and a 2.4 cih came up for sale so snapped it up and put the head and pick up pipe and sump on to the new block. I paid a fella to do the work as i also wanted him to balance the twin 40s.

SO the car ran for about 2 hours and the bottom end failed.

He did bend the pickup pipe for some reason. so it meant it wasnt seating horizantal in the sump. I have not repaired it yet.

My brother had another engine 2.4 block with 2.0 head so i fitted this engine he bought this engine as is so we just fitted it.It ran fine for a bit then when i did actually get to go up the road in it It went 400 yards and guess what it started banging like hell

I believe it is bottom end again

what the hell is going on anyone is this a common fault or what

please note engines did have oil in them

thanks Liam

hi all

To start with i had a manta 2.0 gte engine in my chevette. everything was fine till one day it started banging like hell. Twas the bottom end shell bearings had failed. I was just about to repair it and a 2.4 cih came up for sale so snapped it up and put the head and pick up pipe and sump on to the new block. I paid a fella to do the work as i also wanted him to balance the twin 40s.

SO the car ran for about 2 hours and the bottom end failed.

He did bend the pickup pipe for some reason. so it meant it wasnt seating horizantal in the sump. I have not repaired it yet.

My brother had another engine 2.4 block with 2.0 head so i fitted this engine he bought this engine as is so we just fitted it.It ran fine for a bit then when i did actually get to go up the road in it It went 400 yards and guess what it started banging like hell

I believe it is bottom end again

what the hell is going on anyone is this a common fault or what

please note engines did have oil in them

thanks Liam

Not a common fault. 2.4 block is same as the 2.0/2.2 apart from some cut outs for crank clearance. Main prob with 2.4 is the piston/bore wear. Could be a prob with oil pickup but wouldn't expect it to go so quickly. Have you got good oil pressure? Have you used the 2.4 crank bolts to fit the flywheel? They are a different thread to the 2.0/2.2 cranks. Could be that your just unlucky and had 2 bad motors.

HTH

Chris

Not a common fault. 2.4 block is same as the 2.0/2.2 apart from some cut outs for crank clearance. Main prob with 2.4 is the piston/bore wear. Could be a prob with oil pickup but wouldn't expect it to go so quickly. Have you got good oil pressure? Have you used the 2.4 crank bolts to fit the flywheel? They are a different thread to the 2.0/2.2 cranks. Could be that your just unlucky and had 2 bad motors.

HTH

Chris

Oil pressure is good oil light goes out quick can see the oil coming up by the tappets when its tickin over

yes i used the 2.4 bolts

thanks for ur reply

i am proboably telling you something you already know but the 2.4 frontera block does not have a dipstick tube as the frontera one goes through the alloy sump. did you get the block drilled out and the dipstick tube swapped over, and was it set in the right position . the min to max level on the dipstick is 1 litre of oil but actually raises the level by only 4mm so the correct positioning is essential to ensure the correct amount of oil is installed . i dont mean to profit from someones terrible misfortunes but i have some 2.4 mains and big end bearings sitting on a shelf in the garage if you need some.