Newbie From Sheffield

Hello to everyone on the OMOC I'm a newbie from Sheffield.

For many a year I have followed the site, longing to become both a member and an owner and now I'm very proud to say I'm both.

Mantas are in my blood, my dad owned a B coupe in kingfisher blue and my uncle owned a B coupe in glacier white. I remember the day I first saw my dad's, I was only 6 and he and my uncle had set off to view the car the previous night just before I went to bed so when they returned I was fast asleep. When I woke up I could not wait to see it, I asked my dad if he had got it and he told me to look out of the window. There sat on the street was a kingfisher blue B coupe, I don't remember the full reg but it was C*** KOL. The previous owner had sold it to fund his wedding and it was beautiful. From that day I knew I wanted one which brings me to my car.

For the last year/year and a half I'd noticed an increasing demand of people wanting B coupes which was outweighing the number of cars that were available, thus pushing prices towards my budget ceiling and cars getting snapped up fast (good for owners but not for me).

By the time I realised I had to buy now or never I had a fairly small budget as I have 3 gorgeous kids and have to build a garage too, so I had to shop smart. From previous searches on the web I remembered seeing a non sunroof B coupe rolling shell on retro rides back in September which needed a lot of work and was been sold by our very own Simon P. Although it had been 8 months since it was advertised I thought it was worth a long shot. After a few messages, a phone call and pictures, a price was agreed including delivery ( which I can't thank Simon enough for) and now I'm just waiting to finish the garden (wife's orders) and build my garage before I can take delivery and get cracking with my project of which the heart will eventually be a tuned 4.6 rover v8 that I kept from our old range rover p38 coupled to a 5 speed manual gearbox.

I am looking forward to this chapter of my life and cannot wait to get started as well as making lots of new friends who share the same passion and can give me advice and tips regarding the car. Look forward to hearing from you all.

It's great to be part of the OMOC family, James

• Like 1

Hi James an welcome!

I have recently joined the Club myself and I too have a long history with Manta's. In particular you said that your uncle owned one in Glacier White, well so did my Godfather! Not sure what White it was but my Godfather has owned 2 White one's in the past before he came off the Manta scene but altogether he has owned 6.

Also I currently live in Dronfield so you can't be that far away from me, I would love to see a Manta in Sheffield. :)

Regards,

Jack.

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the warm welcome, I'm not too far from yourself but I am the other side of Sheffield (Shiregreen). I think my uncle's was glacier white but they were both GTE's.

The car i've bought needs a fair amount of work but will be well worth it, might take a few years with financial and family commitments :(

Good to hear from you, James

Hi James,

My Godfather only ever owned GT/E Exclusive Coupe Models and he would never own any other Manta such as an A series or earlier B series. He did once own an earlier B series but that might have been his first Manta, it had wipers on the headlights, that was a White one.

There is only one out of the six he has owned that potentially still exists, I can't get over that but according to the DVLA records that was is suggests.

I'm going and camping at Billing this year so if your there i'll see you there and share all my Manta stories with you. :)

Regards,

Jack.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi James, welcome aboard. I'm from sunny Sheffield too. The place where the speed humps are smoother than the roads. Mine is the yellow A Series. There is a Motornutz meet on Wednesday night at Brinsworth and a Retro Rides meet at Meadow Farm on Neather Lane (Ecclesfield) on the first Monday of the month. Both are near you so get along if you get the chance mate.

Hi Jack, do you know Luke with the Ascona? He lives out your way and held a Manta Club meet at the pub near the top of Chesterfield bypass a while ago. Again check out the local meets

Hi Nic,

yeah Meadow Farm is just a short drive for me, will have to get along one time. Is it a regular meet?

Your right about the pot holes, they are definitely giving the Grand Canyon a run for their money. Hopefully the council will pull their fingers out and spend some of that allocated money fixing the roads instead of pocketing it or making bus gates.

Glad to see there's another Manta owner in the Steel City and hope to see your A on the street one day

The meet at Meadow Farm is on the first Monday of the month and is running for the foreseeable future. It used to be the meet at MeadowHall Retail Park outside ToysRus till it got moved. You will probably hear my Manta before you see it. I don't think the council will bother redoing the roads they don't seem to have any cash. They are happy putting patches on top of patches. Are you going to Billing?

Unfortunately won't be going this year as me and the family are off on holiday just over a week later so all income accounted for, for the near future but hope to get there next year.

Will try and get to one of the Meadow Farm meets though to say hello and check out the rides.

Thanks for saying hello though, appreciate it :)