Battlesbridge Motorbilia Show, Essex

smiffy220

The Battlesbridge Motorbilia Show is on again this year on the 27th September 2009 and attracts a very varied turnout each year. You can obtain an entry form using the following link, and if you book in prior to 30 days in advance, entry is free! Or club stands can be booked for £5 per car!

http://www.battlesbridge.com/events.php?article=80

I will hopefully be there again if my car is finished in time, if anyone wants to join me, or consider a club stand, please let me know. Paul, did you talk to Val?

Dave

hi,dave yes i did talk to val about it over lunch whilst we was at billing. she is very interested i most certainly am also.

i know val has to get her car an mot so hopefully she can come also. did you go to billing dave? i kept a look out for your car!

Hi Paul, I didn't make it to Billing no, too much going on at home and was in London seeing the band 'Thunder's farewell show on the Saturday night, so was never going to get up and drive to Northampton on Sunday morning. Next year without fail!

Not sure my car was quite up to that sort of show standard yet anyway, but it goes into Simon P at Suffolk County Manta's on the 5th Sept, so if I get it back in time, should be looking a lot better for Battlesbridge on the 27th Sept.

I take it the Manta made it ok to Billing? Didn't you have a tank/fuel problem beforehand? Hope it's all sorted now then.

Would be good to have a local meet sometime in August maybe? Didn't see many more responses on the ESSEX/HERTS/LONDON thread before billing?

Hi Paul, I didn't make it to Billing no, too much going on at home and was in London seeing the band 'Thunder's farewell show on the Saturday night, so was never going to get up and drive to Northampton on Sunday morning. Next year without fail!

Not sure my car was quite up to that sort of show standard yet anyway, but it goes into Simon P at Suffolk County Manta's on the 5th Sept, so if I get it back in time, should be looking a lot better for Battlesbridge on the 27th Sept.

I take it the Manta made it ok to Billing? Didn't you have a tank/fuel problem beforehand? Hope it's all sorted now then.

Would be good to have a local meet sometime in August maybe? Didn't see many more responses on the ESSEX/HERTS/LONDON thread before billing?

hi ,dave i just printed off an application form,am i right in saying that for a single entry is free and if you want to do a club stand its £5 per car? i shall e mail val with the details as she has all the club banners and stuff and see if she wants to do a club stand . if she cant make it i shall still go.

yes thanks all ok to and from billing the old girl done me well proud! i didnt have a fuel leak i was just doing some preventative maintenance to ensure i didnt get one !

regards paul

Yeah thats right Paul, free if you enter before the 13th Sept if single entry, or £5 per car for club stand. I usually enter for free, and if I can't make it on the day or it's 'persisting' down, I haven't lost anything by not going. Club stand would be good though, it's usually all the Ford club stands there, so would make a refreshing change! I will enter anyway and hope I have car back, if not I will see you there anyway as a spectator!

They usually say pre-1980 cars, but ignore that, in May there was a flipping basic 1984 Metro there for gods sake!

Yeah thats right Paul, free if you enter before the 13th Sept if single entry, or £5 per car for club stand. I usually enter for free, and if I can't make it on the day or it's 'persisting' down, I haven't lost anything by not going. Club stand would be good though, it's usually all the Ford club stands there, so would make a refreshing change! I will enter anyway and hope I have car back, if not I will see you there anyway as a spectator!

They usually say pre-1980 cars, but ignore that, in May there was a flipping basic 1984 Metro there for gods sake!

Hi, I'm the Val Paul's been talking about and also the SE Area Rep for the Opel Manta Owner's Club. No reason why I won't be going (famous last words). Car's booked in for this Friday for the MOT so fingers crossed.

We do have regular meets in this area, generally the second Sunday, alternative months. Normally meet Sept, Nov, Jan, March and May. Not normally a meeting in July due to Billing being on everybody's mind. Meeting place is the The Spread Eagle at Margaretting. This pub is very easy to find, being just off Junction 15 on the A12 on the B1002 from around 12.30 until about 3.30. Not sure whether you're an actual member or not, if so you should be on my list and have received either a letter or email earlier this year with full details.

Anyway I hope to be going - Paul can you drop that form in next time you're passing? Wonder if it's worth my while sending out something to all members in the area, to se if anybody else is interested?

Val

Hi, I'm the Val Paul's been talking about and also the SE Area Rep for the Opel Manta Owner's Club. No reason why I won't be going (famous last words). Car's booked in for this Friday for the MOT so fingers crossed.

We do have regular meets in this area, generally the second Sunday, alternative months. Normally meet Sept, Nov, Jan, March and May. Not normally a meeting in July due to Billing being on everybody's mind. Meeting place is the The Spread Eagle at Margaretting. This pub is very easy to find, being just off Junction 15 on the A12 on the B1002 from around 12.30 until about 3.30. Not sure whether you're an actual member or not, if so you should be on my list and have received either a letter or email earlier this year with full details.

Anyway I hope to be going - Paul can you drop that form in next time you're passing? Wonder if it's worth my while sending out something to all members in the area, to se if anybody else is interested?

Val

Hi Val, I never knew what you're username was on here, so haven't been able to contact you. Yes, I am a member since April 09 when I was given the car. Am I on your list? I have received 2 magazines to date and my membership card, that is all. The first magazine mentioned a local meet at the Dick Turpin I think, but it was for the same afternoon as the Battlesbridge Classic Car show that I attended in May. I haven't seen any other mention of meets of when or where? When is the next one planned for then, September? I won't have my car for most of September, but hoping to get it back by 27th in time for the Motorbilia show. If not I will be there anyway in my fathers 1934 Morris!

There was a thread going on here about an Essex/Herts/London meet but nothing seems to have come of it. Was hoping to meet up maybe with a few other local owners maybe in August before I take the car off the road for September? Any suggestions? Good luck for the MOT friday!

Thanks, Dave.

hi,dave hows it going? i dropped a battlesbridge show entry form into val today , so we are both definatly going i cant wait it will be good to have a club stand there and get some mantas together , we also can have a good old chin and a look at the auto jumble.

val got on ok with her mot and as i expected she passed( the car that is not val) so all is well on that score.

best wishes paul

hi,dave hows it going? i dropped a battlesbridge show entry form into val today , so we are both definatly going i cant wait it will be good to have a club stand there and get some mantas together , we also can have a good old chin and a look at the auto jumble.

val got on ok with her mot and as i expected she passed( the car that is not val) so all is well on that score.

best wishes paul

Nice one Paul, thanks. Is Val definately going for a club stand then? I'm not sure if you still need to submit separate entries then do you? How many cars are we hoping for? Yours, Val's and mine hopefully, any others locally that might come too? Really hope mine is finished now. I think the club stands can set up on the Saturday, but I will have a problem with that as I will be setting my band up for my 40th party on the Saturday afternoon, so will have to get there early on the Sunday morning instead! Hope nobody will mind?

Took the wheels off the Manta yesterday and took them into Burnham to get them refurbised, hopefully get it back on the road next weekend? Fancy meeting up one evening in August at a local pub or something? Val and anyone else in the area interested too?

• 3 weeks later...

Nice one Paul, thanks. Is Val definately going for a club stand then? I'm not sure if you still need to submit separate entries then do you? How many cars are we hoping for? Yours, Val's and mine hopefully, any others locally that might come too? Really hope mine is finished now. I think the club stands can set up on the Saturday, but I will have a problem with that as I will be setting my band up for my 40th party on the Saturday afternoon, so will have to get there early on the Sunday morning instead! Hope nobody will mind?

Took the wheels off the Manta yesterday and took them into Burnham to get them refurbised, hopefully get it back on the road next weekend? Fancy meeting up one evening in August at a local pub or something? Val and anyone else in the area interested too?

Forms have already been posted off for a Club Stand at this event (Paul's and mine). If you're interested in being on the stand you'll need to add my details to the Club section of the form, as well as the individual details. You can find them in the front of the magazine.

Incidently it looks like you're not currently down as a member. Can you remember when you last paid so I can double check with Chris Collier if necessary, otherwise you're not eligible to put the car on an official stand. What was the last mag you received as well - if you received one just before Billing it may be that he has you down under another area.

Val

SE Area Rep

Forms have already been posted off for a Club Stand at this event (Paul's and mine). If you're interested in being on the stand you'll need to add my details to the Club section of the form, as well as the individual details. You can find them in the front of the magazine.

Incidently it looks like you're not currently down as a member. Can you remember when you last paid so I can double check with Chris Collier if necessary, otherwise you're not eligible to put the car on an official stand. What was the last mag you received as well - if you received one just before Billing it may be that he has you down under another area.

Val

SE Area Rep

Val, i only joined in April this year, Chris updated my membership on here now to OMOC Members and my membership number is 6207. I'm pretty sure I did receive the last mag just before Billing yes. I have had two since I joined in April!

I would like to make the meeting on the 13th Sept, and Dick Turpin is easy for me, but my 40th birthday is on the 14th and I don't know what my wife has planned for the weekend prior to, so imagine unlikely I'll be there. Plus my car goes into Suffolk County Manta's on the 5th Sept for a few weeks so won't have my Manta then anyway (hence why I hoped for a meet in August sometime). Hoping to have it back by Battlesbridge, but I wonder if I'm better just getting a free entry and not on the stand in case I don't have it back in time! If I book in for a fiver and don't have the car back, I'll be a fiver down and you'll have an extra space on the stand. (Is it likely I can pull the car over onto the stand anyway if there's room on the day?). Have you been over there before?

Incidentally, the photo below in my signature was taken at Battlesbridge in May and that's my fathers 1934 Morris behind my car.

Thanks

Dave

Val, i only joined in April this year, Chris updated my membership on here now to OMOC Members and my membership number is 6207. I'm pretty sure I did receive the last mag just before Billing yes. I have had two since I joined in April!

I would like to make the meeting on the 13th Sept, and Dick Turpin is easy for me, but my 40th birthday is on the 14th and I don't know what my wife has planned for the weekend prior to, so imagine unlikely I'll be there. Plus my car goes into Suffolk County Manta's on the 5th Sept for a few weeks so won't have my Manta then anyway (hence why I hoped for a meet in August sometime). Hoping to have it back by Battlesbridge, but I wonder if I'm better just getting a free entry and not on the stand in case I don't have it back in time! If I book in for a fiver and don't have the car back, I'll be a fiver down and you'll have an extra space on the stand. (Is it likely I can pull the car over onto the stand anyway if there's room on the day?). Have you been over there before?

Incidentally, the photo below in my signature was taken at Battlesbridge in May and that's my fathers 1934 Morris behind my car.

Thanks

Dave

I obviously need to get a new membership listing from Chris Collier again then as you're definitely not on the listing and I had this one in about May, I think.

I've not been to Battlesbridge for years, but I get the distinct impression they park / take the public cars in a totally separate entrance these days so it might not be possible to get over to our area on the day, but if you can I'm sure we can make room for you.

Val

I obviously need to get a new membership listing from Chris Collier again then as you're definitely not on the listing and I had this one in about May, I think.

I've not been to Battlesbridge for years, but I get the distinct impression they park / take the public cars in a totally separate entrance these days so it might not be possible to get over to our area on the day, but if you can I'm sure we can make room for you.

Val

Val, they now bring the show cars in through a back entrance up past the station in Battlesbridge, from early on the day. As an exhibitor we then have to drive right past where all the club stands are, so if I can make it, I should be able to peel off and join the stand. If and when I arrive, hopefully early, I'll have a chat with one of the show marshalls, it should be ok. I don't mind paying my £5 on the day, but if I book in advance and Simon P finds more problems than expected with my car in September, then I'll be a no show on the day and let the club down and don't want to do that.

Hopefully see you in September, doubt I'll be able to make your planned get together on the 13th Sept though, pity. I might give you a call or PM you to see if I can pop over one evening next week and look through your seatbelt parts. Thanks

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

I am hoping now that my car will be ready for this show, and Simon P @ Suffolk County Manta's is hopeful it will be finished in time now.

Val and Paul, are you still going to this on a club stand? And are there many other cars booked in with you to attend?

It would be nice to meet up beforehand, is there still a meeting planned on the 13th Sept at the Dick Turpin Val?

Cheers,

Dave

Had my entry pass in the post today. so am looking forward to going now just hope the weather good.

Val rang me yesterday to see if i was going to the dick turpin meet, but as i was at margate visiting my poorly mum i was unable to attend.

cant wait to meet up on the 27th prob be the last show around here until next spring.

paul

Had my entry pass in the post today. so am looking forward to going now just hope the weather good.

Val rang me yesterday to see if i was going to the dick turpin meet, but as i was at margate visiting my poorly mum i was unable to attend.

cant wait to meet up on the 27th prob be the last show around here until next spring.

paul

Paul, I've had my pass come through also, so fingers crossed for the weather and I should see you there. Simon P is still hopeful my car will be finished, although latest news is it will be tight! Hopefully see you and Val there on the day. Is anyone else local attending?

Must admit, I don't know of any other local shows this year now, and the Manta will not be taxed from October until April I don't think, so might well be it's last outing this year! It should be a good day.

Cheers,

Dave

hi,dave i dont know of anyone else local attending, unless val does.

mine is taxed until end of dec then she will be sorned off for winter so it will give me a chance to do some work on her as her 22 years of being on the road are showing now.

so i def think this will be her final show outing for this year i shall continue to use her when the weather good up to december.

look forward to seeing you there paul

Hi all, if you have entered your pride and joy for the above show this coming Sunday (27th September) you should have received your window pass by now from the organisers. If you are intending putting your car onto the club stand please reply to this (by personal message) Friday evening at the latest; as your local rep I have to go down there the day before to sort out our actual parking area and have been asked to confirm numbers of cars at the same time. If you don't let me know in advance I cannot guarentee there will be room on the stand. General directions to the event are as follows:

1. From the south (A127) take the A130 exit, signposted Chelmsford / Canvey Island and head towards Chelmsford.
  2. Take the next exit (A132) and at the top of the slip road turn left at the traffic lights.
  3. Take the next exit (A132) and at the top of the slip road.
  4. Get into the right-hand lane at the roundabout.
  5. Take the 4th exit at the FIRST roundabout
  6. At the SECOND roundabout take the 2nd exit - following the brown signs for the Battlesbridge Antiques Centre.
  7. Entrance is on the left as you go down the hill - if you get to the sharp left bend after the railway bridge you've gone too far.

1. From the North (A12- junction 17) again take the A130 exit, sign posted Basildon / Southend.
  2. Take the next exit (A132, signposted wickford / South Woodham Ferrers.
  3. At the top of the slip road take the 2nd exit - you are now at point 6.

Having said that, you're unlikely to miss the entrance as there's generally a reasonably large queue of old cars. Come along and say hello on the day - there's not just the car show itself there but also a large range of antique shops within easy walking distance, plus 2 decent pubs with food so if the weather's good it makes a decent day out. Hope to see as many of you as possible on the day.

As far as I'm aware it's just Paul, Dave and myself so please let me know if you're going! Val

Val, I have my pass and have just been informed my car hopefully will be ready Saturday pm. It's going to be tight as I have to be setting up my band at my own 40th party by 4.30pm on Saturday, but if all works out I'll be there and would like to come on the stand if possible? If not I'll park with my fathers old Sunbeam Rapier in amongst the throng of other old cars on the big field.

If I can just point out that on your directions to the show, at point 6, the 2nd exit should actually be the 1st 'exit' as the road entering the roundabout from the left is not an exit, so technically it's 1st exit from the roundabout following signs, but as you say there will be plenty of cars queuing down the hill and it should be well signposted.

Thanks & see you Sunday,

Dave

th_Picture296.jpg

th_Picture300.jpg

th_Picture299.jpg

th_Picture312.jpg

Hi hopefully here are a few pics of the show (i cant seem to get the hang of how to upload from photobucket) lol

Val,dave and myself got totally fried on the day of the show ,weather was unpredictably hot for late september. we had three cars on display daves surperb b series berlinetta ,vals exclusive and my hatch!

all three cars generated plenty of interest ,we all heard comments like "do you remember my manta" and "mum and dad had one of those" !

daves car looked great,freshly back from simon peckhams after having some roof and spray work done a fantastic job too .

vals car looked as astounding as ever .

the pic of the white b ,is the one currently for sale on e bay at the moment.

best wishes paul.

two piccys didnt come out so i hope they are in this further post

Edited by gt/e paul

Thanks for posting those pictures up Paul, I haven't had a chance to download my pictures yet! Had a great day, got burnt to a crisp, but was good to meet you and val also at long last. That was a lovely looking Firenza for sale next to that white B also. Was tempted to buy that one too, but figured my wife might not agree!!

Thanks for the comments about my car, Simon has done a stunning job, and I cannot recommend him highly enough for any work you need doing. You can see some more pics of Simons work on mine and other cars using the following link to his website:-

http://www.suffolkcountymantas.co.uk/dave-smiths-mint-stock-b-series

See you all soon hopefully,

Dave