Engine Code

lonpm2

I have a 1979 Opel Manta Silver II

This has the 1979cc engine

I have taken the car into a garage to have the clutch replaced

the garage have phoned me as they have found that there were 3 variants of the 1979cc engine each with a unique part number for the clutch!

Apparently each engine has a unique code, but the garage have been unable to find this code on the block of the engine

does anyone know which code is relevant to the Silver II?

I can then ring them back and get the clutch swapped!

thanks for your help with this

Phil

Hi Phil

The engine number is located on the passanger side of the engine block. If you look between No 2 & 3 spark plugs and then follow down the block you'll see a oblong flat looking up at you, the number is stamped on there.

I would see that the problem they are having is the is an 8", 8.5" and 9" clutches. A 2.0 engine should be an 8.5" but the 9" was a factory option. The 8" was normally for the smaller engines ie 1.6.

All pressure plates on a CIH engine are four bolt fitting but you'll find that most of the pattern guys list the 1.8 clutch as the 2.0 but the 1.8 is a six bolt pressure plate.

if your garage can't find onr then have a look on ebay as there are a couple of companies claiming they have the correct clutch

cheers

Andy