Webber Conversion Kit For A 2.0S Engine To Replace A Varajet Ii

alexwall

I was hoping for a little advice and if anyone has one for sale that would be be excellent.

The original Varajet II has been in my GTJ for all it's life, and so imaginably(!).. It doesn't run particularly smooth and I've taken the Varajet apart so many times (to tinker and clean etc) I fear I've only achieved to actually downgrade it's efficiency somewhat.
With so many comments that you can get a much smoother run out of a webber instead, I'm convinced this is the next project worthy of some time.

I've been told by mechanics that there's a 'simple' four 4 bolt conversion kit - 'it'll slot on dead easy' he says. Yet, I've not bumped into one at auto jumbles.

Of the little research I've done I suspect I'd need a 32/36DGV. As I say, I'm far from an expert on carbs. So, if you know/have a bit of knowledge on the ness weber, or one for sale, please be in touch.

The car is a 1980 registered Manta B, GT/J, 1979 cc, coupe. - Pictured on Stradacab's Project J restoration (http://forums.mantaclub.org/topic/16997-project-j/page-2) : entry #37.
I believe there's an automatic and manual type possible route available, either would be both considered (yet again? which would be the best?)

Any tips you may be able to throw my way, would be mucho appreciated :)

Edited by alexwall

Well, as luck should happen, I posted the original thread (above) and then checked ebay. I've always wanted a conversion kit rather than all the bits and bobs in upgrading. Call me lazy or 'out of my depths with carbs'.
Anyway, there's a mint condition 32/36 DGV on ebay ATM, (a sound guy in the Midlands, very knowledgable.. amazingly, I live 1 mile away from the man so we compared the parts diectly.. it could have fitted I'm sure with a bit of swearing and a new-base plate (i think) anyway, that part is still listed, a direct replacement for a Zenith 35/40 INAT for a 1.9 it was and remains. Close, but not close enough for a Varajet II swap (you didn't say what carb you have ?). With the above website I've emailed them as yes, like you, i've wanted a smooth carb replacement kit for a while.Only mailed them tonight but yes they do appear to have most OEM spanish webers. Even auto-coke versions. I'll pass on any info that they feed me back with.
Yup, you're on the righ line lines with the 32/36 DGV. Not cheap, sure. But I tell myself, 'It'll pay-it's self off pretty soon'.
One more thing, (don't know your curent carb is?) but would you pick an auto choke weber over a manual?
Coz that's my next decision, should seem an easy choice really? Although if you have some experience?

Best regards

Sorry, I didn't even answer your only question. Well, it would appear so, I've asked the sellers a few questions elctronically so far, I'll feed back relevency if appicable.
...ohh, a precision and smooth/meek carb. Imagine that if you can :)

Yes I too have the Varajet. I guess its a matter of personal preference whether to choose manual or auto choke. I would always choose manual. More control and I guess easier fitting. Please do keep me informed with your progress. Cheers.

Hey James, - I've seen that WLD reg plate before. Was it a Billing winner a couple of years back? or is it just on the front of most of the quarterly Mags? ;)

Anyway, very good progress on the Varajet to Weber conversion kits. I've placed an order infact.

FYI. I asked them (http://www.atspeedracing.co.uk, Rolling Road - Engine Mapping - Carburettor Tuning - Competition Engines - Product Sales: tel: (+44) 01268-773377).

(ME) - presenting this like a script

• upgrading an old auto-choke Varajet II carb on an Opel Manta B
  • 1980, GT/J, 1997 CC, 2.0S ENGINE, COUPE, MANUAL TRANSMISSION
  • All engine bay components are original…. Manifolds, links/linkages etc.
  • I believe I’ve located the correct carb(s) below, are these defiantly the right parts for the two types?
  • Is the Weber’s autochoke any good? - Would you stick with the original manual choke version or opt for the auto version?
    <damn! as if he’d overly recommend the manual, its £40 cheaper \o/ >
  • Could you also advise me on the air filter assembly for the 32/36 DGV? I figure the current 12inch dish pan sitting on my Varajet may not be compatible.

1. Manual choke version kit: PART # 268093500

http://atspeedracing.co.uk/products/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=103_135_220_236_268&products_id=799

2. The Automatic choke version kit: PART # 2268058300 http://atspeedracing.co.uk/products/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=103_135_220_236_268&products_id=800

(QUICK RESPONSE FROM ATSPEEDRACING)

Short answer. Yes.
The auto choke is a good system.
This kit is plug and play, if you can hold a screwdriver and you know what a spanner is, then you can fit it.
It is designed to run with the original air cleaner and the carburettor comes calibrated.
Should take no more than a couple of hours to fit
<ed - as if :lol:> and will make a different car of it.

James, Having phoned them just now.They’re the middle men and so he had to check stock availability with another supplier before a quick phone back to me. They have 4 of these auto-choke conversion kits available. Jeez \o/, I forgot to enquire about the stock quantitites of the manual choke versions; sorry. He also recommended booking thru the website as this speeds up the process.
Hope this helps, (and processs ofthe conversion more importantly - least we forget!).. And! oooo, those prices don’t include VAT BTW! Caught me out.

Edited by alexwall

I picked up a new 32/36 DGV to replace the 38 d-gas from www.fastroadcars.co.uk for £204 plus tenner delivery with choke cable/fitting kit. HE advertises on eBay and has 32/36 DGCVs listed for various cars including Pinto engines at £179 for the carb; spoke to him and he adjusted the settings for my 1900 A series for the same price. A good bloke to deal with and didn't take long to arrive. Only sorted it last week so missed posting before this thread.
He also sells a range of different filters for the weber dependant on your requirements.

Steve

Cheers for your reponse Steve, a mite untimely but useful to know nevertheless. Thankyou

James, Oh yes! It arrived in the Midlands today. Opening the box, all the bits are there, (there's even new clips for attaching the new plastic/polymer fuel line supplied to the describded points on eng. block - i.e. replacing that fragile steel inlet pipe- which I ain't fancying will come off easy! & even a new in air line fuel filter and a cute instruction on handling petrol: be careful, flammable and it tastes bad)

It looks the biz atleast, and a thing of beauty I must say! Every possibly required plate included, too many gaskets, vacuum hoses ports etc in all the right spots.. will report back on 'it'll only take take ten minutes' to fit in due time (i.e. sunday night :rolleyes:!)

Did I mention with the Varajet.. on mostly motorway driving, it gave me 200 miles tops on the 10 gallon tank? Hoping to see a change there!

Incidentally, a 33 year old Vajaret II carb possibly for sale, (DETAILS ABOVE GIVEN) one careful owner, efficient :ph34r:, condition: USED, only to do 104k miles (.... thus! guaranteed functionality!).
(and eh, James, don't get any undercutting ideas! ;))...and good look with your weekend job.

Edited by alexwall

Oooh yes, she's in!

You know how us men always play-down how long fixing or fitting a thing will take? i.e. 10 miunutes....
Well, that is the only exageration made on the advertising page of this part. The kit - every single part is there and slid straight on and installation/alignment was mm perfect. Well almost, you may have to findle about with getting the filter to sit on snug and air tight, but no other bothers at all.
All the bits you need are there and even a few more bits,... erm, where should that washer have gone? :huh:

So, in conclusion the only false claim is that it'll take 10 mins to fit (actually: about half a day at a 'careful and easy does it rate'). The performance. That's not fully tested yet, but 'around the block' atleast shows a very noticeable increase in throttle response (massively!), it turned over first time (well, whilst the pump did its' work) and dare I say, the 33 y.o. GT/J now runs as smooth as a Merc does.. (I can only imagine)

I've only one tip really James..
- The steel fuel line from the pump to the varajet will get thrown away and replaced with a flexi hose. So if you struggle to remove the locking type bolt that connects the pipe directly to the Vara (I rounded it straight off in two twists for instance), before reaching for the mole-grips I just flatten/squashed the steel pipe (dust prevention ingress) and hack-sawed hrough the pipe... it's a surprisingly strong bit of steel you'll find.

Enjoy! It's a doodle. Too easy really, it barely needed 5 mins of fine-tunning even. (Actual 5 minutes of time, that is) :D

Edited by alexwall