Anthracite Manta Hatch

Rick-Manta

Any updates on this one Rick? Did you change the entire axle out in the end?

Sorry for the late reply, I've been off the site for a couple of weeks.

I didn't change the axle as I couldn't source one, Rob did very kindly try to arrange one for me, but I almost sold the car due to it being sat in bits out the front of the shared house I'm living in causing a bit of an eyesore. Since the guy I bought it off didn't get a new log book for me as his dog had ripped up the one he had, the bloke interested in buying it turned it down with no V5 (I didn't get the two extra wheels that were supposed to be sold with the car either!)... While all this was going on, it rebuilt the differential after purchasing a few extra tools. I got some new bearings, had a bit of a problem with the replacement carrier as it was all gnarled up and it pushed the bearings out wider than they should be, but it's the only one I had so made it work.

2itpmgx.jpg

These lumps were acting like having an extra .50 shim so I ground them as flat as I could then left out a shim which was the closest size as to not affect the backlash too much.

349flzq.jpg

Fitting the bearings themselves were a bit easier than I thought, I used the inner shell/race inverted and gentley tapped them on with a hammer. I did have to remove one of them to adjust the shims but I did manage to remove one of the original bearings with minimal damage so it could be reused. I did find replacement bearings at long last and not for the rip off £75 each the bloke on ebay was asking!

2lk2vie.jpg

....and it's finished. It is back in the car now, I've torqued the caps or whatever they're called to 50ft/lbs but I'm a bit worried about the crown gear bolts on the carrier as I torqued them to bloody 50NM as the new torque wrench I bought it bloody metric (thanks to the EU) and I'm more used to imperial, I hope it's enough as I couldn't find a haynes or online figure for it anyway.

The car still hasn't moved on it yet but will do the next time I'm lucky enough to get a day off.

Edited by Rick-Manta
  • Like 2

Who's got a pair of side skirts? Meee. Who's got some Daytona Check front seats? Meeee. This'll be coming along a bit quicker now as I'm technically unemployed for 'x' amount of time, the trouble is I have to watch my budget as I'm waiting to hear if I got a new contract for the same company I worked for before (complicated) and there is that chance it could go horribly wrong.. Still plenty to get on with for now.

Next thing will be to get the whole interior out and sell/bin it as I really don't want the grey at all, so once that's gone I can refurb some rusty runners and get the recaros in. The door cards, back seats and parcel shelf area will have to wait, which is fine as I would like to dynamat the whole floor pan and there is another option for the interior I'm hoping to go for. Then I can finally get started on the bodywork which will be the majority of the work...

Edited by Rick-Manta

• 3 months later...

Know what you mean about locked diffs; a cheap dirty hack, even for the drift crowd.

Changing over that diff looked like a nightmare. I will be swapping axles over instead on my car, so hope to find that more straightforward.

• Like 1

Yes, I thought it's a very strange thing to do, even purely as drift car, it's so undrivable with a welded/locked diff I can't understand why anyone would do it. If you really can't lose the back end (how many roundabouts have caught me out when in a manta!?) then a pair of thin wheels with rubbish over inflated tyres would surely be enough? Even something as simple as parking at the kerbside the car violently shook and it felt as if something was going to break!

To be honest, having done the diff swap I'd soon rather do that again than the entire axle. I suppose it's down to your facilities, I've just got an outside driveway space at a shared house so the axle swap was impracticle. Getting the damn bearings off without damaging them was the main problem, even with a bearing/gear puller, else I wouldn't have needed the new bearings. Now I know to actually clamp the puller 'legs' in a vice to stop them slipping off as you turn it. Putting the bearings on was much easier than I thought, you don't need a press.

Edited by Rick-Manta
  • Like 1