Omega Wanted

BoXXerRACE

Right,

now that i've offically started to turn the corner of the grieving process after letting D488 POE go to a new home,

(Still chokes me up when i go out for a tab and see the rust outline on my drive), i've duked it out with wor lass

and i think we've come up with a compromise.

Her demands:

• Has to have been built this millenium
  • Has to be comfortable
  • has to be able to get the shopping in the back...

My requirements:

• Has to be rear wheel drive
  • Parts readily available
  • Not a rice rocket
  • Not a Merc
  • No post 1990s beemers
  • Needs to be quicker than my mate's bastardised 1973 mk3 cortina 3.3 v6

I like the look of the 02-03 Omega elite 3.2 V6 and she has given me the go ahead to look for one.

So has anyone got a 01-03 V6 Omega for sale? Preferbly one with a 5 figure milage? I'm scouring gumtree, autotrader,

pistonheads and motors.co.uk too.

Hi John

Have a look on The Omega Forum and spend some time having a read, its free to join if you wish but just take notice of the forum rules around buying and seling on there.

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/

I'd say go for the 3.2 againist the 2.6 as they have i tad more power. Things the check and double check:

Make sure the Timing belt has been done and the seller has proof, every 40,000 is best, If not thas a couple of hundred quid and must be done with the proper locking kit

Oil Leaks from Cam Cover: If the cam cover are leaking then its a good bet the breather system is blocked. New Gaskets and O rings will be required and will set you back about eighty quid, Must use OE Gaskets only and tighten the cam covers to 8NM only. Don't let anyone tell you the cover are warped its a myth.

Check the header tank for any sign of mayo in it. If so it will be the Oil Cooler which is buried deep inbetween the V. PITA to do as you will need to send days flushing the system. Don't let anyone tell you its a head gasket, these are multi layered one and its more or less unheard of them to blow plus the oil way to the heads is on the Inlet V Side.

Listen for exhaust blow from the Manifold which could be a snapped stud, Drivers side not to bad to do but passanger side more or less impossible due to the ABS unit in the way.

Check front tyre and make sure they are not cutting on the inner edge, if so the it will the the lower wishbones at fault and while your there check the antiroll bar drop links don't rattle. If fitting new wishbones the Camber must be reset, OOF has a listing for that

If its auto which 99.9% of 2.6 & 3.2s are then check the gear change is nice and smooth, any problem may mean a fluid change, factor one in anyway. If the car is a manual then chances are its Ex-Plod or someone has done a manual conversion.

If the Headlamps are HIDs then make sure the adjusters work, if not could be a level sensor arm or sensor is at fault, thers is one sensor on the front wishbone and one on the back and if it has air suspension on the back make sure you can hear the compressor running, its tucked in behind the front bumper on the Off side

Think thats enough to be going one with, oh one last thing remember your Road tax will be high due to engine side and it year

As i said have a look at the forum, get armed with some info and go from there

Cheers

Andy

• Like 2

They are good cars as long as they have been looked after but most have been used by people who want a big car for little money then can't be bothered to spend any money on them

Good luck with searching

Andy