Correct 'period' Manta Radio?

Berlinetta

I've decided to seek out the correct period radio for my '78 Manta. Is this radio the correct type/style?

The pic is from a Germany website. Incidentially, does anybody here know if a German radio will work/tune-in here in Ireland?

manta radio.jpg

That certainly looks period, and it's got FM on it which is nice. It might have been available in the UK, it would certainly work fine. This one that GTREA has in his car I would have thought would be more likely the one you'd get in the UK. It's only MW and LW though.

Blaupunkt.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My 1976 built (77 registered) SRB has the same Blaupunkt radio as GTREA has got in his, so I think that was definately the basic option. It's just mono so runs just through the dash speaker. Not sure what else you could have as an upgrade officially.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Berlinetta said:

I wonder were radio cassette's an option on Manta's back in '78?

I'm sure they would have been, I've got a 1974 Vauxhall accessories brochure that shows a mw/lw mono radio cassette, and a 1979 Opel brochure that talks about radio cassettes as an option. It just says to talk to your dealer though, it doesn't show what's available.

• Like 1

I finally located a nice period radio!

- Original OPEL radio, fully tested (with a 'performance guarantee') and mp3 player port fitted to the rear of the unit :)

via a German seller €136 / £114 incl delivery

(Not sure what the purpose of the front 'lip' is? Anybody got a standard black front? ...or even a plain blanking plate which I could cut to suit?)

Manta radio.jpg

• Like 2