GTE engine problem

mantaray

Quick question, well 2 rearly, regarding 2.0l GTE cih engine.

1 What grade oil should it have ? I have 2 different manuels, 1 says 10W40 the other 20W50
2 what is the rateing of the oil presure sender ?
the one fitted as 0.5 0.3bar but an old one I have has 0.5 0.25bar.

The car has low oil pressure at low revs, I have changed the pressure relif valve, the bottom oil pump plate, the oil pump gears, the sender unit and even tried an external oil pressure gauge, the only one that had any effect was the gears and that was only very small. Oil is getting alround the system and the cam is in a nice bath of oil even on tick over. Don't what else could be the problem.

Either grade should work, Chris. If the engine's recently rebuilt I'd say use the 10W-40 but if it's got a lot of miles on it, go for the 20W-50. If the engine's in good condition, anything from 0W to 20W will be fine and 40-50 for the other number. Don't try to use a 30 weight oil (for example 10W-30) as that's too thin.

The sender for the oil pressure gauge is 0 - 5 bar. The idiot light is 0.5 bar, if I remember correctly.

Do you have an oil pump cover gasket on an engine that doesn't need it? I did that by accident on a 2.2 once and had almost zero oil pressure when hot (and a bright red light on the dash). The cut over is engine number 20E-0347985. Up to that number you need a gasket, after that number you need to use anaerobic sealer and no gasket.

• Like 1

Try putting a few 6mm washers behind the spring in the pressure relief valve, that holds the relief valve closed for a bit more pressure. It can cure the problem. I think that the housings are machined to a different dimension (could be wrong here!!) depending whether they are for a gasket or not ,you can measure the clearance using feeler gauges to check which housing/gear setup you have. I think the info is in the haynes book of lies!!

The biggest problem i have encountered is scoring of the pump gear housing which drops the pressure. If you have this and the housing is the type that needs a gasket you can always try skimming the area where the plate mounts by about 0.2 mm. The gasket is about 0.4mm so you will still have clearance, does mean dismantling the font of your engine though.

If nothing else works a new front cover usually sorts it.

I would always use a 20/50 oil and make sure its the classic grade stuff, they revamped the oil grades quite a few years ago and the viscosities came out thinner for the same number (dont ask me how!!), hence the reason the classic grades came out. I had similar problems with low tickover /low oil pressure, i put a classic grade Duckhams Q in and it cured it. These old motors need a gloopy oil, plus Duckhams Q smells awesome when it burns a little!!

HTH

Chris

Looking around it seems the classic grades available now are from Comma, Millers (probably your best bet) band, Halfords and Castrol. Unfortunately Duckhams Q is no more!!!!!!

Looks like I may have sorted it.

Put Gulf Classic 20w50 oil in and that made a bit of differance, but not enough, so had a look at the gear cover, removed gasket as engine number is 20E-035****, and hay presto I have good pressure on tick over.

Thanks for all advive, you learn something every day.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lamchop77 said:

Looking around it seems the classic grades available now are from Comma, Millers (probably your best bet) band, Halfords and Castrol. Unfortunately Duckhams Q is no more!!!!!!

I think Castrol bought Duckhams, so the Castrol classic oil (and I think the Halfords one) are the old green Duckhams Q.