GTE Restoration - to be started

DS2_0688__2_.jpg

DS2_0693__2_.jpg

Hi all, here is my second Manta restoration project. I aquired the car off Pat and Jill Maher (Cheshire reps) earlier this month and as soon as the weather improves I'm going to get cracking. Ideas for the project include a 3ltr 24v engine (already lined up), standard gte styling but with retrimmed interior and brake conversions.... obviously finances allowing.

RoxySignature.jpg

"Roxy" - Gone but never forgotten!

• 3 weeks later...

Although I've not started work on the Manta itself I made my way to Luton today and picked up myself one of these 24vengine1.jpg

24vengine2.jpg

Apparently I need to change the sump for a 12v that has been cut by 1 inch to allow clearance over the suspension. Along with the engine I picked up a rad, ecu, loom, front calipers, discs, senny 24v manual gearbox & clutch (needs new synchro mesh though - so I may use a Manta box instead). I still can't get over how much it weighed.

RoxySignature.jpg

carltonpickup.jpg

The chap who sold me the Senny bits had himself one of these, i haven't seen a Carlton on the road for ages and certainly not one that looks like this. It had the 3ltr 24v engine an it sounded really good, it would have sounded even better without those 2 silly chumps sticking out the back. So Martin has the only Manta pick up but does this chap have the only Carlton pick up?

RoxySignature.jpg

That pickup looks the business.

If your using the carlton gearbox, doesnt the clutch have to be convered from a cable clutch to a hydrolic clutch?

1986 Manta 400 Replica with Carlton GSI 24V running gear

The pickup does have hydrolics, the chap preceeded to give us a demo, very reminiciant of "Pimp my ride", to complete the experience all I needed was Tim Westwood and his crew to pop round the corner. He'd also put a digital dash in it. It's not my cup of tea by any means butI respect him for the idea and time it must have taken, and it did sound bl**dy good when started.

RoxySignature.jpg

quattromanta, is the guy you got the bits from in Hitchin, Herts? If its him I bought a set of seats off him a while ago. Lots of nice cars when I was there!

79 SRB coupe - 'interesting project', 79 Cav saloon - 16v sleeper, 1989 Senator CD - I've been converted! Yakshimash.

• 2 months later...