I Want One!

Junior

s1118439510_30022766_1686.jpg

Hi,

I'm new to this site and don't own a Manta but I'm looking for some help.

I came across this car in Helsinki and I believe it's a manta but not sure about models etc.... but it's sooooo cool and I think I might want one.

So what is it?

Are these any good for every day use?

what kinda problems do you get?

What to look for when buying?

cheers

Junior

That is a Manta A series. Unless it's one of the weird little engines (which we didn't have in the UK to my knowledge) it'd be a 1.6 or 1.9 CIH engine which are so long as they have been properly serviced and not stupidly high mileage, you should be able to use one reliably as a daily car. Plenty of spares and all the service parts are available in most places with the exception of oil pump drive gears and covers and a few other bits and pieces. I'm more of a B series man myself so I'm sure some of the A series guys could advise on the main areas to check corrosion, although the older the manta the better the steel!

Are you planning on buying a motor from Finland or is it just one you saw there?

Thanks mate,

This is just one that I saw when I was over there. The only mantas I've seen before were your normal GTE type but I think the older type are really nice and wouldn't mind getting one.

What sort of price would you expect to pay for a decent one?

You've also got early B series which are the same body and chassis as the later 1.8S and GTE's but they had all the 70's chrome trim, bumpers and rostyle wheels instead of the typically 80's large square bumpers, spoilers and stuff. As I say, I'm not big on A series, but my guess on getting an MOT'd ready to drive 1.9 Berlinetta would be about £1500-£2000. For a restored or original minter expect to pay closer to £4k. You may be lucky during our current climate and get one cheaper than they were but that's if you can find one for sale.

Try to steer clear of rotters, unless they're very cheap or free. One with major engine, paintwork and trim problems is still far better as a project that one requiring a lot of steel. Same with any of the models.

Hello mate, the Manta shown is an 'A' Series Manta, not particularly plentiful these days, but you may well find that when one comes up for sale it will be a good one and at a damn good (hefty) price too.

But these are a superb looking head turning vehicle with a design that has stood the test of time over a lot of other so called classics.

Get hold of one of these in good condition, and maintain it by an enthusiast such as Simon P at Suffolk County Manta's, or another respected member of the OMOC (er Ahem) and be prepared to be driving a wonderful car with good driving feedback that will turn heads with young and old chav's alike.

Good first post Junior, hope we see you on here as a Senior ;)

Sorry Junior....

"So what is it?

Are these any good for every day use?

what kinda problems do you get?

What to look for when buying?"

Would not recommend one as every day use as there are to many twats on the road that could potentially write one off and with replacement panels too hard/expensive to source it would simply not be a good idea to use one as a daily drive, and this comes from someone who used to drive a show winning concours 'b' series as a daily drive.

Problem's....

Engines are pretty much bullet proof, and very reliable, not sure what carbs they run on but a lot of engine stuff is swappable with later models or complete engie swwaps with the later 2.0 versions. the 1.9 and 1.6 versions had a different inlet manifold to the later 2.0 versions, the 2.0 inlet manifolds as far as I'm aware will bolt on to the 1.9 he heads and will give a better choice of Carbs should any probs arise with older more scarcer carbs.

What to look for when buying, ,,,,,,

Heck well,, good straight body, with swage lines aligned, and a half decent chassis. I would not expect a mint chassis even on a so called mint example, cos they never are.

Hoprfully a few 'A' series owners will come on here and advise you better than me.

Any typos thenblame the Rum, used to be the Bud but hey ho times change :blink:

Welcome to the forum

The Manta A series is a really nice 70's car - main problems are rust and the price of a good'un.

You can pick up a 'project' for around £600 - dependant upon the amount of work you are willing to undertake - at this price - a lot of welding, spraying etc. I'm not an A owner becuase anything halfway decent that I looked at was too expensive - and the cheaper items were beyond my abilities

stam083.jpg

The blue car above is a club members and in superb condition. (My car, a GT/E is end left)