Help Setting Up Tappets On A 2.2I

mantacrazy22

hi could any one let me know the routine of how to set the tappets on a 2.2i carlton engine and are they done when engines running thanks matt

Matt

Should be the same as a 2.0 with hydraulics. Make sure none of the tappets are clacking by using the adjusting stiff nut. One at a time back off the tappets until they start clacking then adjust back up until it stops. You then preload the the tappet one full turn BUT you do this in 90 degree steps leaving the engine to settle between each adjustment. Yes the adjustment is done with the engine running and as you adjust up the idle will change this is why you have to let the engine settle for a short while. You will also need an oil guard over the front chainwheel, unless you like being sprayed in the face with oil...ooer!!

HTH

Chris

hi matt hows it going. setting up the tappets from scratch is dead easy. firstly the tappets will only'set up' if they are all in working order. ie: not seized up or leaking pressure.

the way i do it is to turn the engine clockwise with spanner until valve number two is full OPEN.then if you back off valve one until tappet is fully extended.then tighten it up again untill it is JUST BEGGINING TO COMPRESS.then turn one full turn down & you are done with valve one. move on to open valve one & adjust valve two etc, etc, till all done . job done ........................

if you are using new or rebuilt tappets then engine will be noisy until they fill with oil. should only be a minute or so thou.

the haynes book does suggest doing this with engine running but i have always done them this way & never had any problems & less mess with oil being thrown about!

the haynes book does suggest doing this with engine running but i have always done them this way & never had any problems & less mess with oil being thrown about!