Ditch The Mechanical Waterpump?

kerplunk

I suppose it depends, nothing is free, so if you use electricity to power a pump it has to come from your engine, i.e. get harder to turn the alternator convert motion to electricity and then back to motion in the pump.

Totally depends on the efficiency and whether it's smart enough to pump only when needed / be variable.

I suppose it depends, nothing is free, so if you use electricity to power a pump it has to come from your engine, i.e. get harder to turn the alternator convert motion to electricity and then back to motion in the pump.

Totally depends on the efficiency and whether it's smart enough to pump only when needed / be variable.

Electric pumps are used on drag racing cars or short duration track racing, not really suited to road cars. If it was of any benefit, manufacturers would be using them. Some cars do have supplementary electric pumps that keep the water circulating once the engine has been turned off...just increase the power of your engine instead!!!

I believe its never a good idea to stop the water flow due to hot spots appearing that the temp sensor is not close to.

I would go with the idea of not starting the pump for the say first 2-minutes while water heats up, but its not worth it and and electric pump cant be more reliable than a mechanical pump..?

I believe its never a good idea to stop the water flow due to hot spots appearing that the temp sensor is not close to.

I would go with the idea of not starting the pump for the say first 2-minutes while water heats up, but its not worth it and and electric pump cant be more reliable than a mechanical pump..?

Alot of the cheap pumps are for bike engines and are used or used inconjunction with a std pump to aid flow (or so i've read). The more expensive types are perfectly ok to use and you will see a gain in power be it small. What you will get is the engine running at the perfect temp due to the electronic control box, you choose the temp and the box will keep it at that all the time. There good for race/track day/fast road use as they don't suffer from cavitation at higher revs like the mechanical type.

I haven't used one on my race motors and never really had any problems but it is something i'm looking at. A decent set up will cost over 300 quid plus extra work to fit. That money would be better spent on headwork or a cam kit, these will give you more power per pound.

HTH

Chris