Piston Rings

vauxsenb

Needed urgently!! a set of piston rings for 1 piston. To fit a 2.2 CIH overbored to 95.5 m, 0.5m/ 20 thou overbored . . . silly ar$e, I broke the oil control ring while I was building the motor back up, everything brand new as well, now cant get another set of rings, ohhh bugger!!!

BTW we're talking Mahle pistons should that make any odds . . .

Cheers chaps, Colin.

Thanks, already spoken to them, but no joy :(

Think you may start struggling getting rings etc for these engines now. About 2 years ago i bought 3 sets of 2.2 rings through Thorntons, 2 sets came from Belgium and they told me they were the last new sets listed in europe at the time. If Thorntons ain't got them its unlikely anywhere else will, most engine builders use them.

I ended up not using these rings as i had custom ones made, but there 95mm bore so no good to you, and as far as i am aware 95.5 are not available. Even Risse motorsport had none. Only real option is to buy new pistons that come with them BUT the last new pistons i priced were 127+vat each and that was about 3 years ago. Cheapest option at the mo is to buy proper forged race pistons, they actually work out cheaper than a std set.

Other option is to look at total seal rings as they sell them in sets in all sorts of sizes, mine came in at 160+vat for the engine set but my pistons were manufactured around them. You may have to have the pistons modded to get a set to fit.

Try looking on Mahle and Goetze websites they will list part no's but may not have availability. Basically because these are an old motor production has run down to small batches so the price has hiked.

HTH

Chris

I did exactly the same. got a replacement from OCP.

Dunno if they'll do oversizze ones tho.

OCP may have old stock. Mahle are listing them under opel monza 2.2e 95.5mm ring set part no 011 92 N1. Whether they have them is a different story.

HTH

Chris

Thanks Guys,

yes, Mahle list but its a struggle to actually get them supplied, interesting about OCP, I hadn't thought of them I did however contact 'Rally Bob' on the Opel GT Source site and he reckons he can have them made in around 10days from a company called Hastings in Michigan as they supply mostly all motor manufacturers in the States (bet they're cheaper too!!)

see here; http://www.hastingsmfg.com/

and this list for Opel parts; http://www.hastingsmfg.com/RingFinderMasterDetails.aspx?AppMACD=OPELOPEL&AppMOCD=OPEL&AddText

However its a company called Imex (08456050404) that have come up trumps, ring set for £17ish but £25 for carriage from Germany!!!

I'd best not fcuk it up this time eh???

Thanks again guys :thumbup:thumbup:thumbup

Hi,

Glad youve found some, however if you need to practise fitting them I have enough ring sets for 3 pistons, 95.5mm they are used but you'd struggle to guess. You can have them for free. Are you at Billing on Sunday

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thats superb, 1 set would be fine thanks, sadly not going to make Billing yet again as the Sportshatch is still in bits :(

p.m. me and I will give you my address and let me know how much you want for postage etc.

Many thanks, Colin. :D