Yamaha Fzr 1000 Carbs

miroj

Hello i have some interesting idea to put on my 2.2 cih engine carbs from yamaha fzr 1000 and the question is is it be enough to feet this hungry beast .Is there someone who done this before :blink: what will be the positives and negatives ?I need comments

Cheers Miro

Edited by miroj

I have just fitted yamaha r1 carbs to my 2.2. Haven't had engine started as still got to wire in distributor, but I will say fitting them was more work than I thought. If you get the right jets on the carbs they are more than capable of providing enough for the engine.

You need to split the carbs as otherwise the runners on manifold will be different lengths. Also, as the fuel inlet is on the bottom of the carbs, I'd recommend some kind of heatshield for the exhaust.

I need to put a remote reservoir on the master cylinder else there is no room for a filter on the carbs. The manifold is held on with allen key bolts as there is no room to get a socket or spanner on a bolt.

engine.JPG

Great to learn that someone do this conversation on same engine do you have post for this modification it will be interesting for me what will happens at the end want to learn how will feel your car with this carbs .My car is Opel Manta B with left hand drive. Sorry for my English it is not very good.100% the carbs have to be separate to fit .What is the diameter of the throttle?

Edited by miroj

I think the throttle is 40mm each. Not sure.

As standard, the outer carbs match the outer ports but the inner carbs don't line up, so the inner runners would be longer.

The carbs were split in two, and the gap in the middle widened so that each carb was equal distance fromt he port.

You can see it slightly better in this photo:

photo.jpg

You can fit them as they are, but I was advised against having a manifold with different length inlets.

I think the throttle is 40mm each. Not sure.

As standard, the outer carbs match the outer ports but the inner carbs don't line up, so the inner runners would be longer.

The carbs were split in two, and the gap in the middle widened so that each carb was equal distance fromt he port.

You can see it slightly better in this photo:

photo.jpg

You can fit them as they are, but I was advised against having a manifold with different length inlets.

Is the manifold a Bogg Brothers item Shug ?

I have just fitted yamaha r1 carbs to my 2.2. Haven't had engine started as still got to wire in distributor, but I will say fitting them was more work than I thought. If you get the right jets on the carbs they are more than capable of providing enough for the engine.

You need to split the carbs as otherwise the runners on manifold will be different lengths. Also, as the fuel inlet is on the bottom of the carbs, I'd recommend some kind of heatshield for the exhaust.

I need to put a remote reservoir on the master cylinder else there is no room for a filter on the carbs. The manifold is held on with allen key bolts as there is no room to get a socket or spanner on a bolt.

engine.JPG

Now i have a different perspective on this. I rang Bogg Bros up ages ago, prob 2-3 years, and asked about the bike carbs set up. We discussd at length the tune of the motors, etc but when it came to me giving them the the size of carbs i was running they reckoned that the bike carbs were not enough to feed the motor.

The motor spec was std pistons (9.4 comp ratio) nicely ported Blydenstein head, 244 cam, vernier wheel, 48's fitted with 40 chokes. The motor i wanted the carbs for is at 12ish/1 comp ratio, full race head, bigger cam. Basically the carbs would not be able to flow enough for that spec of motor, they reckoned that i might get close if i had a pair of thunder ace (i think it was) carbs, but that was 2 bikes worth so that started making it expensive as a "it might work". I just wasn'table to go that route due to the finances, if it didn't work id have to find the money again. Bear in mind that my motor is for autograss racing and the guys at Bogg Bros run a class 6 autograsser so know what i am after.

As a mildly tuned engine they will probably work, but if your thinking of tuning to a high spec i would really look into it. I would really like to know what sort of power/tune level you can get to with the set up as it is a cheap option, and it looks quite nice as well. Wouldn't mind it in a road motor.

Cheers

Chris

Is it gone be more powerfull with this carbs than the stock injection i have installed Lexmaul exhaust and camshaft with hydraulic lifters from 1.9SH .The ports of head, valves and piston head are polished.The compression ratio is 9.4:1.Now days i use inlet manifold from 2.0E and the injection and ignition from 2.2E.The engine started to accelerate quick after 3000 rpm.

got the r1s on mine 20seh, had them for a year or 2 now . and honestly they are good and do make a big improvement with idle and aceleration from low down .

they have 1.8mm main jets . i was advised to tap a hole and thread into each intake so you can connect your carb balancer properly and get it spot on . however....

i still havent got round to getting it all set up with a proper balancer and upto the rolling road . the main reason being is the damn rubbers that hold them to the inlets .

ive tryed the green bog bros stuff , it just perishes and the carbs fall off .

ive tryed the thinner blue silicon hose with the petrol resistant layer .... lasted 8 months then fell off again slightly perished .(best one so far)

now im onto the bike carb rubbers , they fit the carbs as they should and hold them tight, but they now detach themselves at the manifold end as they are only short and dont go on far enough .

also if i forget the choke it somtimes spits back which doent help atall .

im having a hard time making it reliable . i dont know if its just me or if everyone has these hose issues .

i hope its not like that for you .