Fibreglass Bonnet...

Jason b

just a feeler thread really... my bonnet is quite damaged and before I respray the car I'll need to sort it out anyway. However with the 6cyl conversion I am tempted for the reduced weight and also inlet manifold clearance of a fibreglass bonnet.

I know they can be obtained from rally tech... however this is a fairly cheap project and I was wondering if anyone had one second hand (or knew of a cheaper supplier). I'm also not really after a 400 style one, just a normal bonnet skin, though anything considered.

Thanks in advance!

Jason

A few years back i bought a 400 style bonnet from MCRallying. I remember paying about £160 for it and although it had some rough edges (I'm sure all of them do) it was quite good. there was a slight issue with very small cracks in the gel coat appearing around the scoops at the sides but this didn't occur until after travelling along the M5 at 120mph+ 70mph for a good fifteen miles or so. You can make these look very smart with a bit of preparation and (this is were I went wrong) the proper fixings on the front edge. a couple of the rally style locking pins in each (front) corner is not enough, you must secure it in the middle in front of the triangle vents via the original bonnet catch.

just found the site, price has gone up a bit! £230

My link

hope this helps.

also the bonnets come with an internal frame so there is not much more clearance than normal.

yeah, I expect decent ones will require the frame modifying a bit anyway. It is mostly the weight saving that I'm after. £230 is too steep for my project really (the car has cost less than £200 ) - I'm hoping to see if someone might have a second hand one kicking about for a bit less.

Thanks for the info!

Most 400 bonnets don't line up as well as the original one, apart from the rallytech ones which are spot on.

I'm trying to get one to fit over a straight 6 at the moment and the lack of curve in the middle of the bonnet is causing me issues with the inlet manifold :(

I'd stick with an original metal one if you can't get a rallytech one.

fair enough... I was just figuring that I need to buy a new bonnet anyway (well unless I can cut the strengthening off, fix the damage and then weld the strengthening back on) so I may as well get something a bit lighter to counter the 6cyl lump.

anyone cut the strengthening off of the standard bonnet before and run it with pins/camlocks and no hinges? or does it turn into a useless floppy bit of metal?

tbh, I could probably lay up a fibreglass plug from my original bonnet and use it to make my own fibreglass bonnet, I just can't justify the time or effort at the minute

Edited by Jason b