Manta Rallye

manta rallye

Hi i have just joined and have a a series 1972 manta, i have only just bought it about a month ago , its in bits at the moment as i am restoring it, on the v5 it says it is a opel manta 1900 coupe but i have the original purchase reciept stating it to be a manta rallye, is this a different model to just the basic coupe and does any 1 know of the diffrence thanks will

Hi mate am not sure but I think it was for the American market. they took a stock coupe and added a black bonnet and fog lights, different gear ratios in the manual model.

stiffer suspension, sway bars that sort of thing, basically beefed it up like they do. to make an overall better package.

someone please correct me if all wrong, cheers Adie thumbsup.gif

Hi mate copied this off Mark Kinnon hope it helps

Overview

Designed to appeal to the 'sporting' driver with options chosen to give the car a racier look; in the 70's this meant copious amounts of black trim and extra gauges.

Early examples (1970 & 1971) are sometimes refered to as "Rallye" and have a special "Rallye" badge on the boot lid.

Often these Rallyes had optional matt black paint over the bonnet & front wing tops the racing theme was completed by thick black side stripes running the length of the vehicle and even over the boot lid. Furthermore instead of Rostyle type wheels, Rallyes had hub type sports wheels very similar to that on the Opel GT.

Few genuine examples of the Rallye model remain.

The SR model is relatively plentiful and is a highly desirable model because of the higher specification: full instruments, sports wheels, 1.9 engine, etc.

Identifying Features

1900cc engine as standard (1780cc engine optional)

Black vinyl interior

Black headlining & sunvisors

Black carpet

Optional black vinyl roof

Optional matt black paint over bonnet & front wing tops

Optional extra thick black side stripes running the length of the vehicle and over the boot lid

Sports steering wheel

Dashboard tachometer (rev counter)

Pod above centre console with oil pressure, clock and ammeter gauges

H1 Halogen headlamps

Uprated front & rear springs

13 x 5.5J Sports wheels (rostyle except on early examples)

185/70HR 13 tyres

Twin tailpipe extension on rear silencer

"Stingray" badge on front wings

"1900" badge on front wings

3.67 - 1.00 rear axle with manual transmission

3.44 - 1.00 rear axle with automatic transmission

As above, the Rallye was the sporty model, it was quite quickly renamed the SR. Other than the badging the two cars were basicaly the same although the early Rallye's had different wheels.

Most Manta A don't have the exact model on the V5.

Edited by 1900SR

Hi i have just joined and have a a series 1972 manta, i have only just bought it about a month ago , its in bits at the moment as i am restoring it, on the v5 it says it is a opel manta 1900 coupe but i have the original purchase reciept stating it to be a manta rallye, is this a different model to just the basic coupe and does any 1 know of the diffrence thanks will

Hi there and wellcome to the OMOC,

What you have is basicly a Manta SR, I have one also but mine is a 73.

Good luck with your project you'll find this site very helpfull some good guys on here.