Back To Carb

gsi marc

Could anyone tell me the easy'st way to ditch the injection on my 2.0 litre cam in head has its so unreliable. Thought about trying to get hold of an ascona- cavalier inlet manifold and carb and a dizzy with points and replacing fuel pump, It may seem a little backwards but i just want it to be reliable :rolleyes:

Could anyone tell me the easy'st way to ditch the injection on my 2.0 litre cam in head has its so unreliable. Thought about trying to get hold of an ascona- cavalier inlet manifold and carb and a dizzy with points and replacing fuel pump, It may seem a little backwards but i just want it to be reliable :rolleyes:

No prob :) Those old bosch things can really be a pain in the bahoolah :)

What you need is:

#Carb and manifold

#Original fuel pump (if your engine is a original injection engine the hole will not be there for the pump and you will need a electric facet pump instead.

#thermostate housing for a S engine

#Cooling water hoses for a S engine

#Need to plug up the fuel return line

Do yourself a BIG favor and keep the electronic ignition from the E engine. This is by far the best ignition available as stock and it can run stand alone with no problems. Just keep the dizzy, and the ignition module located under the coil. Just disconnect the black and green wire that run from the ECU to the ignition module will run very good with carb!.

You can keep the exhaust manifold from the injection system (you will actually gain a few hp from this) you just need the intake manifold to the carb without the exhaustmanifold.. :)

If you have any questions let me know, i have done this many times both ways around :)

Oh almost forgot. What ever you do DO NOT!!!! buy a Varajett 2 carb.. If you think you have trouble with the injection it is NOTHING compared to that french piece of crap. It is REALLY that bad.. Either it runs bad, or it doesn´t run at all ! So go for a Weber instead, much much better :)

No prob :) Those old bosch things can really be a pain in the bahoolah :)

What you need is:

#Carb and manifold

#Original fuel pump (if your engine is a original injection engine the hole will not be there for the pump and you will need a electric facet pump instead.

#thermostate housing for a S engine

#Cooling water hoses for a S engine

#Need to plug up the fuel return line

Do yourself a BIG favor and keep the electronic ignition from the E engine. This is by far the best ignition available as stock and it can run stand alone with no problems. Just keep the dizzy, and the ignition module located under the coil. Just disconnect the black and green wire that run from the ECU to the ignition module will run very good with carb!.

You can keep the exhaust manifold from the injection system (you will actually gain a few hp from this) you just need the intake manifold to the carb without the exhaustmanifold.. :)

If you have any questions let me know, i have done this many times both ways around :)

Oh almost forgot. What ever you do DO NOT!!!! buy a Varajett 2 carb.. If you think you have trouble with the injection it is NOTHING compared to that french piece of crap. It is REALLY that bad.. Either it runs bad, or it doesn´t run at all ! So go for a Weber instead, much much better :)

Thanks for that didn,t know i could keep the dizzy, My brother sugested bike carbs, i could fabricate the manifold from steel myself have you ever tried this conversion Thanks marc

Oh almost forgot. What ever you do DO NOT!!!! buy a Varajett 2 carb.. If you think you have trouble with the injection it is NOTHING compared to that french piece of crap. It is REALLY that bad.. Either it runs bad, or it doesn´t run at all

:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

Yeah you can, and with good results too :) Bike carbs are very popular in Britain but here in Denmark close to the Germans i have never had problems getting hold of manifolds and weber or dellorto carbs. I have done the twin 40 or 45 mm carb conversion many times, would be very similar to bikecarbs.

One thing though, you need to get your bike carbs readjusted as they are adjusted for a 1000ccm engine, and your engine has twice the volume, otherwise you could get a lean mixture.

I would definatly go for the bike carb version if i had that option like you, sounds very interesting, and also i would get a hold of a ENEM Y12 cam (www.enem.se) they do the best sportcams for the CIH in alot of peoples oppinions and as the swedish crown is pretty low theese days it is also cheap. Only around 240£ and you get to keep you hydraulic lifters and original springs. Best cam to fit into a stock head.

That combined with the bike carbs, you are easily looking at 140-150bhp on a 2,0E CIH

Yeah you can, and with good results too :) Bike carbs are very popular in Britain but here in Denmark close to the Germans i have never had problems getting hold of manifolds and weber or dellorto carbs. I have done the twin 40 or 45 mm carb conversion many times, would be very similar to bikecarbs.

One thing though, you need to get your bike carbs readjusted as they are adjusted for a 1000ccm engine, and your engine has twice the volume, otherwise you could get a lean mixture.

I would definatly go for the bike carb version if i had that option like you, sounds very interesting, and also i would get a hold of a ENEM Y12 cam (www.enem.se) they do the best sportcams for the CIH in alot of peoples oppinions and as the swedish crown is pretty low theese days it is also cheap. Only around 240£ and you get to keep you hydraulic lifters and original springs. Best cam to fit into a stock head.

That combined with the bike carbs, you are easily looking at 140-150bhp on a 2,0E CIH

Thanks again for your help, Just been looking at the ecu and wiring, Looks pretty easy to remove along with the injection system, i will keep the dizzy as you sugested, Just orderd a facet fuel pump and my brothers into bikes so hes going to sorce me some carbs. Watch this space :thumbup:D

Thanks again for your help, Just been looking at the ecu and wiring, Looks pretty easy to remove along with the injection system, i will keep the dizzy as you sugested, Just orderd a facet fuel pump and my brothers into bikes so hes going to sorce me some carbs. Watch this space :thumbup:D

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif