Rebuilding Back Axle

cieranc

The issues you will face are not that advanced, the main issue will be to adjust the crown and pinion correctly and this used to be a thing you went to a garage to get done. It can be done yourself, but you need some measuring tools to do it. I have never done it myself but has seen it done several times.

The rest of the rebuild is pretty simple, and taking the rear axle apart shouldn´t take longer than an hour or so. Replacing the bearings is also a quite simple task.

You can find several exploded view drawings on the web of the rear axle (Manta / Ascona / Kadett are more or less the same)

Thanks, I've rebuilt diffs before but only HGV's with screw across collars to adjust the mesh instead of shims, dead easy. Also, there's plenty of access to the pinion teeth on HGV's, to see where the blue is touching. I've got DTI's, verniers/depth gagues, micrometers etc, just really the settings I'm looking for, torque for pinion nut.

Thanks, I've rebuilt diffs before but only HGV's with screw across collars to adjust the mesh instead of shims, dead easy. Also, there's plenty of access to the pinion teeth on HGV's, to see where the blue is touching. I've got DTI's, verniers/depth gagues, micrometers etc, just really the settings I'm looking for, torque for pinion nut.

I am pretty sure you won´t get that from a Haynes manual. Do you have any Opel Dealers left in the UK, otherwise i could ask here ? Im pretty sure they´d know :)

Got this from a website a long time back from someone who had a build manual

Pinion preload

new bearings 6.2 - 11.5 lbf in

old bearings 5.3 - 8.0 lbf in

I didn't use the info myself as i built my axle at a friends who has been building axles for years and has a calibrated elbow :thumbup

I am pretty sure you won´t get that from a Haynes manual. Do you have any Opel Dealers left in the UK, otherwise i could ask here ? Im pretty sure they´d know :)

Early cavalier and a series manta have axle rebuild info in them. Got them somewhere i'll have a look later.

Chris

• 1 month later...