A Series Glove Box Lock/catch Wanted

paul1393

I am looking for a early twist style round catch for the glove box door on my Manta A. Or the later pull out style one if no one has the early type for sale. Will be at Billing (Sat only) if anyone can help.

Thanks,

Paul.

Edited by paul1393

Hey Paul

If you dont find one at billing let me know as i think i might have the later type, could be a slim possibility of the twist one but I will have to go and have a dig about in the loft! but there is a bit more room now so its a bit easier :-)

Andy

Hi Paul

I have both so let me know how you get on with things and if you want me to take any pics of mine.

Dont know if you can help me with something. Im thinking about getting rid of the vinyl on my roof when i re-spray the car next year and currently i have the bigger vents on the back pillars and was thinking that the earlier smaller ones might look better if the car has no vinyl. What do you think? are one type better than the other? pros cons.. can you still find the old ones. Any thoughts would be good.

1900 SR, what are you after? how do you tell if its a later lid? i have a couple of lids in the loft and some hindges i think? can you upload pic of what your after and i will see what i have if you want.

Andy

1900SR, Thank you for the offer, however as Andy offered first and is nearer I think I will go with him, thanks anyway.

I think the glove box lid is the same for all A series it's just the catch that changed. Please correct me if I am wrong as I never really looked that close.

Andy, I will give you a call re catch. As for the vents, the larger ones were on the early cars and are not (without a lot of work) inter-changeable with the later smaller vents. The 1/4 panel on the early cars had a step around the aperture for the plastic vent which was not present on the later cars. Also the early (large Vents) were held on with 3 screws from inside the car behind the head lining, where as the later vents had 4 small plastic pins protruding from the back which pushed into gromets in the 1/4 panel from outside the car.

I would stick with the larger vents if I were you. Trying to find a pair of smaller vents with all pins present would be like looking for rocking horse s--t!

Hope this helps,

Paul.

Edited by paul1393

Hey Paul

I did fear that it would be more complicated than it should be :-) most things manta are!!

Will put the catch in a nice safe place for you, speak soon.

Andy

1900SR, Thank you for the offer, however as Andy offered first and is nearer I think I will go with him, thanks anyway.

I think the glove box lid is the same for all A series it's just the catch that changed. Please correct me if I am wrong as I never really looked that close.

No worries Paul, and you're right, the two lids are the same, just the catches differ. I'd assumed they were different. Just got to hope my second spare lid is good as the first one I've found has a broken hinge too.