Scottish Manta A Diesel ?

monzta

Hi guys.

I just had a mad idea of making a Rekord (carlton) with a Diesel engine. Yes i know it exist as a diesel, but that engine is sooo old, and cannot make any power or good eco when driving.

So i started searching the web and found that a Scotsman has got a bronze Manta A with a 1,7 L Turbodiesel with aprox 150bhp ! That sounds just like the thing for me and the Rekord, but would love to have some more info regarding engine mounts, oilpan, wirering etc (never really worked with diesel engines before!)

100_5129.jpgthat will be me, engine is out off car at the mo for a engine bay paint

engine is a 1.7td idi came from a vauxhall cav 93 its the Isuzu one 1.4 td fly wheel , 1.7d inlet manafold , manta b 1.8 gearbox , moded 1.7d steel sump , home made engine mounts ,and made up water rail ant thermostat housing, i mounted the engine fother back for the turbo to sit behind the crosmenber , hear a few pics

this is what the gearbox came from 100_5089.jpg

i will take some pics of the engine the day and post them up

Oh yes exactly. Love that it is a diesel, i really love that thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I could see on other forums that there were talk about 150bhp, is that something you had dynoed and how much was the torque ?

What did you do to the engine to up the power (just turn up fuel and turbo pressure or ?) Had any problems with it yet ?

I am currently looking for a Rekord E1 or E2 (preferable an estate) to put a diesel into. Would the small 1,7 do the job you think ? The old CIH based diesel lumps are not good for me as i need as many miles pr liter as i can get ... Figure an old Rekord weighs in a little bit heavier than the Astra or Cavalier but not much i think...

Let me know what you think, and hope that you will share your experiences with this project with me thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

i wanted to put a vw 1.9 tdi but could not get a gearbox to sute , if i had a bit more room i would stick in a vw 2.5 tdi LT engine and box thay will run at 180 hp all day and 380-420 lb torque , mods to 1.7 td 1.7d inlet manafold,1.4td flywheel tunned injection pump not just the max fuel screw , wast gate moded , front mounted intercooler , 2.5" exhaust from turbo back never had it on the rolers but would say 150hp ish and 220 f Lb at 1800rpm and with a 4.5 diff 45mpg to 50mpg taking it easy ,

a pic of 2.5 tdi that i was going to fit in the manta but a bit big

100_5111.jpg

102_5695.jpg

Those are nice specs, 220lbf is around the same as a 3,0 12V goldtop makes ! And still getting 45mpg is impressive !

Will most certainly look closer at this little engine, sounds like just the right thing to power an old Rekord cool.gif

I know some of the old Volvo 240 series Diesel versions use the VW engine, so maybe a gearbox from one of those could do the trick ?

There is also the posibility to use a 2,0 16v dti from a vectra, but i don´t know if they use the same gearboxes as the x20xev, and even so it is a pretty expensive powerplant... My brother owned a 2,0 16V 160hp Zafira dti a couple of years back, that thing was awsome ! Massive torque, and good mpg too thumbsup.gif

Those are nice specs, 220lbf is around the same as a 3,0 12V goldtop makes ! And still getting 45mpg is impressive !

Will most certainly look closer at this little engine, sounds like just the right thing to power an old Rekord cool.gif

I know some of the old Volvo 240 series Diesel versions use the VW engine, so maybe a gearbox from one of those could do the trick ?

There is also the posibility to use a 2,0 16v dti from a vectra, but i don´t know if they use the same gearboxes as the x20xev, and even so it is a pretty expensive powerplant... My brother owned a 2,0 16V 160hp Zafira dti a couple of years back, that thing was awsome ! Massive torque, and good mpg too thumbsup.gif

2,0 16v dti from a vectra will need a ecu , where the 1.7td from the old cav has 1 wire to the pump stop solinoid , and the heater plug system 5 wires

the old manta would easy drift round a dry round about in 3th , and fish tail in 5th to easy in the wet when the turbo spooled bit off a handfull :lol:

2,0 16v dti from a vectra will need a ecu , where the 1.7td from the old cav has 1 wire to the pump stop solinoid , and the heater plug system 5 wires

the old manta would easy drift round a dry round about in 3th , and fish tail in 5th to easy in the wet when the turbo spooled bit off a handfull :lol:

It sounds incredibly simple ?? What about fuel return etc ? I am very keen on this project now thumbsup.gif

i welded a small sump into the fuel tank 2" deep and 2" wide with a bit off angled mesh on top the suction wen in to this and used the old suction for the fuel return , i also cut a manta b prop 2.5" off and rewelded and cut a new hole for the gear lever

vealmonkey:

Do you have any pics of your convertion, as I would love to see how you have done it.

Maher the Hermit on here put a 1.7d out of an Astra in to a B a few years ago, but this is the first time I've seen it done to an A.

a few pics

100_6163.jpg

moded left hand engine mount

100_6168.jpg

left hand engine mount

100_6160.jpg

sump made a baffel plate in the sump to , you can see where the cross member will sit

100_6166.jpg

thermo stat housing that i made so i could hook up rad

100_6161.jpg

you can see the crossmember mount on the right , and big bore exhaust , and the nice old yokahama :lol:

Oh then it makes sence :) What did you do ? Just connected a hose instead and mounted the CIH thermostate housing on the hose ?

I am definatly doing this. 20km away from me someone is selling 2 complete 1,7td engines for 300£ could be a bit of a bargain as theese engines are not cheap here and are not sold much (there where never many diesel Astra´s or Cavaliers sold here ind Denmark).

i made a plate to fit over the old thermostate housing with a 90 elbo 1/4 od , turning to turbo side and then joined up to the rad hose to the thermostate housing that i made there a nother pipe that goes in to the block just forward of the turbo , i took it up at a angle and that is the return from the rad bottom , when you get sorted with all the stuff i will emaill you with more pics .