Carnforth on the Kellet road heading to the M6.

Last Weekend,I was traveling through Carnforth on the Kellet road heading towards the M6. I was fairly moving on as I was trying to chasing down the Cosvaux decal'd Nova who was racing a saxo in front of me (You know the score).

Anyways, i'm slowly catching up approaching the wrong side of a Ton when suddenly an A Series comes flying up my ass, he pulls along side and gives me the thumbs up, then cuts in front of me. Pauses for a second, then drops a cog and leaves 2 tire marks on the road as he passes the idiots in front. With a exhaust I could hear from 1/4 mile away.

Anyways, I do what any self respecting Manta owner would do and gave chase, but unfortunatly it reminded me of that incar footage of the Lotus Carlton and the Swiss Police car as he dissapears in the distance. Heading South towards Lancaster way

Does anyone know who this belongs to as I assume he is a member? (Or DID belong to as it was driven like it was stolen).

All I remember was it was orange with black rear panel and black sides, obviously not standard (V8 I think) as it kicked my poor old 16v to death and on Classic black numberplates. (never got the reg number, too busy talking in a high pitched shreak to the wife). I could be wrong but I think I saw a diagonal section from a rollcage also. (Track car perhaps?)

Anyways, I never saw it a Billing this year and was wondering who it was? Is it for sale? anyone want to buy a 16v Coupe? I know what car I want next. [}:)] and the wifey agrees.

Thats what I want for my next A series, but in yellow, widened black bonnet and black GTE stripes......ah, I so like A series.....

Who knows what is possible until one has attempted the impossible and suceeded.

OMOC Member 5053

Nope, Jason is me, D is for someone else [:)]

But I do like that picture.......crap its tempting me to just get shot of all my B's get a 'sensible' car and spend what I save on a wild A series machine......... [:D]

OMOC Member 5053

lol that 2 of you Jason think Rab is starting to sway towards the A series [:)]

I aint got a clue what my next project will be, have to get this one completed before I even think about another car.

Had an email from a guy in scotland last night he got an A series and its getting a V8 installed at the moment [:)]

http://www.mantamagic.com

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

Wow, thats a great picture, it looks mean as hell.

It certainly looks like the one I saw last weekend and from Robbie's picture it does look like a rollcage fitted. Suprised that its only a V6, I was pulling a ton and he accelerated away from me like I was sitting still. Which V6 is it? I assume its the GM one from a cav or vectra and I never knew there was 2 A series done with a V6, I saw the goldy/green one at Billing. what ever it was, it sounded awesome [:D]

I didn't notice the rallye lights or bonnet bulge, but I only saw the car side on and the rear when he got in front. it suits the car I think, I wonder who made the fibreglass bonnet for him?

The wife even agrees that she prefers it more than my coupe, I wonder if Azzi still has it or did it sell last year? and if he sold it, what the hell is he driving now?

I'll have to send him an email and see if he wants a deal with a Coupe and a bit of cash.[8D] Whats a car like that worth? and does anyone know the full specifications?

It was Azzi I spoke to him today, he is going to sell the car in the near future not sure what the price tag will be if I remember right it was around the 3k mark last year.

the spec at that time was.

Techy Specs:

Manta A Series 1972

GTE Coupe Fuel Tank (Behind rear firewall)

Fully Seam Welded Shell

C25XE Engine

3.0l Cams

Supercharged (OH YES!)

3.44 rear Diff. with ZF LSD

2.2 Carlton Vented Front Disks

AP Racing 4 Pot Alloy Front Calipers

Spax 24 Point Adj Spax (front and rear)

Bespoke Springs (400Lb Front 1.5" drop and 170Lb Rear 2" drop)

ATS 15" Alloys (Rare as Heck)

Irmscher Wing Spoilers

Safety Devices Full Roll Cage

Bespoke 6-2-1 Exhaust (5" Rear Stainless Exit)

Quick-Shift 5 Speed Gearbox

Bespoke Full Steel Bonnet

Fibreglass Front Bib Spoiler (Rare German only, 3rd party manufacture)

4x100 watt Front Beams (Headlights)

4x150 watt Spotlights (The Lake district has BIG Badgers)

4 Point Harnesses

Paintjob taken from TE2800 German Model (Customised to own style)

http://www.mantamagic.com

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

[:D]Robbie, me first Manta was an `A` 1.9SR signal red with black vinyl roof, with the high back front seats a great motor wish I had never sold now,had it since a wis a lad 19 yearauld.Been away fir 5 or more years now still miss it.

At the time the Ne brs were all in MK1 Cortina,Celica, Capri ,1600E ect, so I wanted something better! A n brrs brother worked in oor local Vaux/Opel dealership and drove an Ascona `A`.

NO GUESSIN WHAT CAME OOT O THAT ONE `A` SERIES and it wisnae costly to insure either the local CO.OP did great rates back then.It took the pish oot the fore mentioned motors, bar the Ascona which shane had done a few mods to at the time,ACH THE GID AULD DAYS![^][}:)][:P][:D]

Clani200

Howdy peeps - got a call from Robbie earlier telling me about this thread. Sorry its been a while.. Severe Personal problems [V]

So "A_Serious_Manta" that was you in the Black Coupe huh? Nice to see another Manta on the roads, its been a while.

Robbie is right, The car did sell last year for 3k, but I was let down at the last moment and things have been strained life-wise since then. But I took her for an MOT a fortnight ago and after passing with no problems I was taking her from a rolling road session and giving it a bit of a shakedown when I saw you.

She is running a lot better than last year and not trying to break gearboxes and clutches anymore and have really just spent the last few months finishing her off a little at a time.

I may be advertising her again soon as I finally have started working again after nearly 18 months and I think I need a more sensible car for day-2-day usage. But am taking some movie footage first for prosperity sake and for advertising purposes first.

So look forward to a few videos of her in full song fairly soon.

Decisions, Decisions,

Decisions....

LOL Azzi

Glad to hear "she" is running better, it certainly looked that way to me. I have to congratulate you on a nice conversion and hope to get a closer look soon. (slower and less blurry).

Has the spec changed much since the above list? and how much are you after? (Any chance of a trade in with my 16v Coupe?, recon engine, twin 40's, 60mm Lowered) MSG me if interested.

Email me the videos when you do them, I'm sure we'll all be interested to see them.

Is that a GT in your sig? [:0]

I've only ever seen them at Billing, nice motors!

Damn, thats a collection to behold [:0]

Thats definatly the Manta I saw last weekend, i recognise it from that position, just getting a lot smaller as it shot off into the distance LOL.

Popquiz

Whats colour is azzi's favorite opel colour.

nice matching set, just needs a HIS and HERS screen sticker now.

one point, how is the GT on a W reg, didn't they stop making them in the early 70's ? isn't W reg a 1980?

Made with new parts or found an unregistered one in the back of Opels store rooom ? Some people have all the luck.

Incidently Azzi, a GT in similar condition just sold on Ebay for £4900, sell em both and get youself a deposit down on a Holden [;)]

Azzi,

If I haven't started on another A series project by the time you come to sell I would be interested behind A_Serious_Manta (I dont want to queue jump) [:D] although I may look to change the red to yellow as I fancy my next A series in yellow as I have had to scrap three yellow A series so far and I love the colour and its gutted me every time.

Nice cars, always like the GT's too, loved that one that had all the soft-top done with complete leather re-trim, painted in red, think it was at Billing 3 or 4 years back, heard that it caught fire though, damned shame. Think it had a V8 fitted too, got some pictures somewhere. When I told the Americans about this GT with a V8 they were well impressed, I even had to send them pictures to prove it!

The new Monaro may be nice but it just aint a classic and doesn't have that brutally mean look of the Mantas, and beside, I saw too many out in Australia and its cooled me done somewhat.

Jason

OMOC Member 5053

A_Serious_manta

Spec is similar to the above list, but has come on a long way in the last year or so. I've sorted out the problems with the extra power killing gearboxes and now the clutch has been upgraded to stop it slipping at anything over 1/2 throttle.

The supercharger has been removed as its just plain stupid to drive on the roads as it is. Its a real drivers car. 75% LSD, no traction control and over 200BHP per Tonne and thats AFTER the charger was removed.

The GT was a california import in 1980, hence the W registration.

And yes, I know how much that one went for and the other 5 listed since, hoping to sell for the same money.

Exbury

Seems a shame to respray it yellow after the full baked respray it had a year ago, but each to their own. I had a yellow A series also with the GT Stripes. I'll hunt out some pics.

Yes, it will probably go up for sale soon, but it has to be decent money as most of the parts are irreplacable and this car is 110% rust free with mostly new panels. I've managed to get hold of a camcorder and will be ragging it around a local Airfield hopefully this weekend. Hopefully it will be dry as 60 minutes of static burnouts isn't really a good advert [:D]

I'm not interested in another Manta, especially a B (no offence, but they make good doner cars), but MAY PX for the right none abused Cally Turbo, purely for work reasons. I'll still have a weekend car if I need to get anywhere fast. ROFL

Decisions, Decisions,

Decisions....