Mk1 Cavalier 4-Dr, 1.6L, 1976 'p' Reg, Scotland

vauxsenb

Hi all,

Haven't been on here for yonks as I've been busy restoring an old Saab 900 Turbo, however I digress, my mate is selling of some of his projects, one of them being a very early Cavalier 4-dr in Red, 'P' reg, supplied by SMT, 1.6 L, chassis No. shows built in '76 and talking to the Cavette club they reckon it could be the third oldest (going purely by date of registration) Cavalier in existence very solid all round, some remedial work was carried out when he bought it in Feb 2011, rust in the o/s rear wheel arch and inner boot floor was cut out and replaced with new metal, then most of the brightwork was stripped off ready for the respray, the interior was fully re trimmed by a well-known company in Edinburgh. The dash as far as I can remember was crack free, but I will need to confirm this, No dents or dings but it will need a respray . some of the areas were rubbed back to check the metal was solid underneath the paint. Solid in all the usual problem area's so it was ready for paint

However the project stalled due to increasing workload and it has sat ever since. There was a move of premises last year and at that time we fitted a fresh battery and it started 1st time and drove onto the trailer, since then it's been re assembled and fettled properly, thoroughly checked, brakes fully stripped and checked, any parts found faulty were replaced (rear brake cyls, etc) and last week sailed through a fresh M.O.T. so basically ready to drive away.

Here are some old pictures from 2011/12, I will add more detail as I get it, incl more up-to-date photo's or call Bill on 07946 598418, or 01620 861582 (w/shop) for more details and pics before it hits the Evil bay.

WilliesRedCav5Medium.jpgWilliesRedCav1Medium.jpgWilliesRedCav1Medium.jpgWilliesRedCav013Medium.jpgWilliesRedCav013Medium.jpgWilliesRedCav011Medium.jpgWilliesRedCav010Medium.jpgWilliesRedCav009Medium.jpgWilliesRedCav008Medium.jpgWilliesRedCav007Medium.jpg

Update;

More detail on the car, Date of manufacture stamp on chassis leg shows 07/01/1976 so it must be one of the earliest surviving examples left.. Mileage is currently showing 67,294. It has had the front wings replaced at some point so they are rust free, the original radio is still fitted in the dash, but, sadly the dash does have some cracks around the speaker area. There is also some light staining on the headcloth but no rips, tears, or holes. The bottom of the drivers door could do with some attention, it was on the to-do list but not completed.

I said in the 1st post that he bought it in 2011, I was wrong, he has owned it since 2008 but as said other work commitments got in the way and it has been dry-stored since.

Price-wise I'm not sure but he was going to put it on the bay of evil starting around £1000 as recent Cavvy's without MOT have been fetching £1200 or so guessing it could be worth a fair bit more. My 1978 1.9 4-dr GL is now valued at £6000!!!

Up to date photos will be coming shortly showing the car as it stands incl the re-trimmed interior. Anybody interested is welcome to call Bill on the No.s in the 1st post, you are more than welcome to view the car, and drive it on the private roads at his workshop (no tax) The car is located approx 30mins drive S of Edinburgh.

cheers, Colin.

Edited by vauxsenb

Very difficult to put a value on it though... most of the ones on ebay recently have struggled to sell from what I've seen. (case in point the one currently on there for the third time and still not selling for less than £1000 with tax and MOT)

Sadly, I struggle to believe a 1978 1.9 4-dr GL is worth £6000 in any condition, though I suppose I have a tainted perspective as the only reason I bought my cav was to save it from the scrapheap! (and I paid less than 200 for it! - granted it was a bit ratty)

End of the day it will sell for what someone wants to pay for it :)

Best of luck! It looks like a good project for someone!

post-14-1213566741.jpg

Jason,

I agree with you re the value of mine but I should have said agreed value by the insurance Co. 34k all original and unrestored apart from the rostyles. Ins Co. also took into account it's history of wins and placings in concours shows.

As you say it's worth what someone is prepared to pay on the day.

Cheers, Colin.

Vauxsenb.

Can I ask you who you are using for insurance. My Insurance Valuation is way lower than that. I have a 1980 (v) Opel Manta SR Berlinetta Coupe with 24k on the clock and was given a valuation 20 - 25 % lower than you? It makes me wonder where the insurance valuers get the figures. Thanks Kenny.

very very interested...but as noted ones about the 1000mark have struggled to sell.they seem to be cheap cars...i bought a solid un restored one one here for 500quid...just needs painted.

and my yellow one was 1200 with years tax n mot but needed bodywork tidied up...now a minter that wins shows.......always wanted a red one tho!

• Like 1

Rab,

Why not give Bill a ring and go see/drive the car then talk about prices. Most of the work has been done now and really only needs minor touches then painted. I guess it could be of more interest than some due to it being a really early example (poss 3rd oldest in the UK) and the interior already fully re-trimmed.

cheers, Colin.

• 1 month later...