Speedo calibration...

LostSoul

you have 3 basic speedo drive nylon cogs that are interchangeable for basic setting but any fine tuning for greater accuracy will probably have to be done with thespeedo head itself.never done it myself but may need to move the needle or adjust the spring tension ? ?  

or  maybee different speedo head    i THINK possibly the "W" marking ? ?

Easy to change on the B series not sure about the A. Just on the side of the gearbox the speedo cable plugs into it. 

Edelschmiede has them, but not cheap. Best to take yours out and see what colour it is. Someone may have a different one you could try. 

https://www.edelschmiede.com/shop/#bms_q=Speedo drive

Edited by Mickfrad

yes as mentioned above .the b series ( and most other vauxhalls of the era) have the same setup. it will be obvious when you look at it. the red drive cog is the lowest on std models (used on 2 litre mantas) for the 3.44:1 diff.

if the A uses the same idea you will see it on the side of the gearbox. maybee google some pics. undo cable to see colour.

Thank you both!

Right now, on standard wheels and tyres, the speedo is uncannily accurate.

If I prolong engine life by reducing revs at higher speeds - either with wheel & tyre combination or by changing the final drive - it will be too far adrift.

I hope that changing this cog will get me back into the correct ball park at least...sounds like some trial and error will be needed between the three cog options.

Good excuse to go for a drive!

Thanks again

LS